Prune/mass move topics

Kirill N

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This should really move up the priority list. I have a forum with nearly 4 million posts and 600k topics.

In IPB3, the size of the forums didn't seem to matter. In IPB 4, the site chokes up and delays about 2-3 seconds every time someone would click on a forum with a large number of topics in it. By large, I mean several hundred thousand topics and millions of posts. Clicking on a smaller forum is no problem and happens fast. This is a 12 core server with 32 GB of RAM running at 3.2 GHz, MariaDB, etc. and various optimizations, CDN, etc.

The only way I could even use IPB4 without reverting back to IPB 3 and reconsidering my alternatives, was to chop up the forums into smaller ones. The main forum being about 50k topics max. Most likely the way I do it is not the best through various SQL statements. But to keep the site moving with sub second load times, I push out topics over 90 days old into an annual forum.

I know there's an archive option, but the last time I tried that I didn't like that it took those topics out of searches and member's history. I'd rather just have an option to move topics to another forum after X days without the archiving.

From what I understand it is possible it will make a comeback at some point with some additional protection, going from what I can recall reading when we had the 'upcoming' type features page.

I also recall my and others suggestions that extra protection to it would be added as prune 'accident's are scary and quite upsetting to forum admins, more so the ones without a current backup available. Having seen this happen myself to a community, its not nice.

I'm not sure what the protection is likely to be, I recall suggesting a re-authenticate (ie: you would have to confirm your password to use it) and possibly it may be restricted to those who have ACP access.

16 hours ago, Morrigan said:

For @prupdated I could recommend you use the archive feature and store your archived posts in a separate database than your more recent stuff. I think it would likely improve your load times.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it before but search is lost on archived topics. Generally it would be a good idea except for the functionality loss. The load times now are fine while not losing the functionality when archiving. It was just the size of an individual forum that was the problem. Hence, moving topics could be a decent solution for this and other problems, maintenance, or many other reasons why one might want to bulk move. I've worked around it for now doing my best with SQL scripting to move older topics out of the main forum each night while updating the various related counters. Most likely I'm missing something though. So it would be nice to have an official routine.

9 hours ago, prupdated said:

I've worked around it for now doing my best with SQL scripting to move older topics out of the main forum each night while updating the various related counters. Most likely I'm missing something though.

You can automate routines with rules. Give me a buzz if you are interested.

As my storage is limited, I had a Mod for 3.4 that pruned our topic list after a set period. It worked well for us.

It's not a feature of 4.1 and I can't find a Mod for it. The only option I have at the moment is check every forum and manually delete topics over a certain age.

I would love to see this feature built in!!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/5/2015 at 10:45 AM, Kevin Carwile said:

You can automate routines with rules. Give me a buzz if you are interested.

I have your rules apps...  BUZZ :)  I would like to be able to MOVE topics to a new forum based on the topic title or keyword search in the message body.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, yet another vote for this feature please.

Kevin's Rules app is Great, but bulk moving topics as a means of just basic organization seems like a common sense feature that should just be built into the software.

Edited by RobotMonkeyHæd

Create a custom action to use for your bulk move process. It will use a topic as an argument. Now add a rule to that custom action which moves the topic to the forum of your choice.

Now schedule that rule to run in bulk for all your topics. Dont forget to add a condition to your rule so that you dont move every single topic on your site.

• 3 months later...
On 9/30/2015 at 1:37 PM, Kirill N said:

This was a great feature in 3.x. I remember it was going to be added to 4.0 and it was in the Release Notes but I haven't heard anything about it in months. Is it still coming back?

I am shocked that there is still not per forum auto prune feature.

I have a couple of specific forums that I want to auto prune after topics are 30 days old.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2015 at 7:07 PM, AndyF said:

I recall suggesting a re-authenticate (ie: you would have to confirm your password to use it) and possibly it may be restricted to those who have ACP access.

As this topic was replied to (with two useful third party tools) I think the above is still relevant for anything inbuilt if it appeared on the "front end" , prune is very handy and useful indeed *when used correctly and with care to be sure what you are doing* but as with the nature of the function itself, the scope for 'accidents' is present... :smile:

This might not do exactly what I need.

I need to set posts in specific forums to hide after a specific number of days from the ORIGINAL post (as opposed to the last reply).

Less important but would be nice to have is number of days per forum instead of 1 setting for all. Then I can have one forum that hides posts after 3 days and another that hides posts after 30 days.  Then I can sell access to these forums based on tiers.

Thank you

3 hours ago, SJ77 said:

This might not do exactly what I need.

I need to set posts in specific forums to hide after a specific number of days from the ORIGINAL post (as opposed to the last reply).

Less important but would be nice to have is number of days per forum instead of 1 setting for all. Then I can have one forum that hides posts after 3 days and another that hides posts after 30 days.  Then I can sell access to these forums based on tiers.

Thank you

I can change the criteria from the last reply time to topic start date at my add on. It is a very small edit.

Regarding adding the the number of days to the individual forums, I can add that too for a small fee.