Simplify by IPS Themes

Tom Christian

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Tom, 

I am using 4.1.10. I am refreshing one page side by side to another and can't detect the slightest change when toggling any of the settings except for floating/traditional and overriding the logo, being able to turn the footer off, and turning off the social media. Those things worked but nothing in the header area. I find that there is too much space between the navigation and where the forum posts start, and if I can't make that space smaller (which would be very nice), then it would be desirable to put some sort of banner there, but I don't seem to be able to. Would it have anything to do with me using the IPS cloud hosting limiting changes even if from within the ACP?

I uploaded and selected 'enable background' but no response, and also no apparent change from toggling 'boxed mode', 'sticky header', 'background layout', 'background stickiness', or 'enable fluid width'. None of those things seemed to work. 

7 hours ago, Eric Allione said:

Hello Tom, 

I am using 4.1.10. I am refreshing one page side by side to another and can't detect the slightest change when toggling any of the settings except for floating/traditional and overriding the logo, being able to turn the footer off, and turning off the social media. Those things worked but nothing in the header area. I find that there is too much space between the navigation and where the forum posts start, and if I can't make that space smaller (which would be very nice), then it would be desirable to put some sort of banner there, but I don't seem to be able to. Would it have anything to do with me using the IPS cloud hosting limiting changes even if from within the ACP?

I uploaded and selected 'enable background' but no response, and also no apparent change from toggling 'boxed mode', 'sticky header', 'background layout', 'background stickiness', or 'enable fluid width'. None of those things seemed to work. 

Backgrounds are completely broken in 4.1.10 :(.

What other settings aren't working so I can try and reproduce?

Ok I'm glad that it wasn't just me overlooking something obvious. Those list of things with no evident change was all I was able to come up with. But basically everything which was not the footer, a social media icon, or the logo did not make any obvious changes.

I bought both the Simplify and the Haze but quickly gave up. I found another skin to keep me happy in the meantime, but I'm confident you will figure it all out in due time. I purchased your recent skins with very little consideration because I was such a fan of Pulse on 3.x. 

However, what I look for most in a skin is to be able to see as much of the actual forum as possible without the header space hogging it all. Any customizations I would be interested would need to focus on shrinking that space as much as possible. Until then I don't see myself using these. But you are very good at what you do so I will be holding onto hope for the future. 

• 1 month later...

Now compatible with IPS 4.1.11

Simplify by IPS Themes

Win a free theme and plugin!

I'm offering one free theme and one free plugin to a few select customers that leave a review for this file. The review should be honest and the rating will not impact your chances of being selected. Once I have a handful of reviews, I will select the winners. The winners may choose from any of my premium themes and plugins. ^_^

Leave a review here

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Husky_Jim said:

I upgraded to latest from 1.0.7 but in admin cp it says still 1.0.7.I tried to clean import a new 1.0.8 and again it says 1.0.7 and now the indication 'upgrade available' is on.Any ideas?

It's an issue my side. Ignore it for now and I'll have it fixed in the next release. You should still have the latest changes ^_^

• 5 months later...

Hi Tom, 

I have one quick question. Is there any setting to turn alternating background between even and odd posts? Like it is for example in topic list where one topic title has white background, next one has light gray? I find it kinda difficult to distinguish where one post ends and the next one starts, having the alternating background will help a lot I think. 

Hi Tom, 

In addition to my question above, please see a possible bug with the gallery section of the theme. On top there are buttons to switch between list, thumbnail and full image, but only the active button is shown, the other two are invisible:

chrome_2016-12-31_00-20-17.png

chrome_2016-12-31_00-20-35.png

Also, the demo versions on your site do not seem to be working.

I'll keep posting things I consider bugs if you don't mind :)

When you go to create a new topic from the "Create" menu if you select a forum, then use the dropdown menu again, on mouse over the name of the forum dissapears, I guess it becomes white. Maybe better to explain with screens. 

1. I select forum to post my topic in, evetything is good. 

chrome_2017-01-07_23-17-13.png

2 When I reengage the forums dropdown the selected forum is marked, also good:

chrome_2017-01-07_23-17-47.png

3. If I go with the mouse above it, like if I want to click it again or something, it is white, which is the bug:

chrome_2017-01-07_23-18-36.png

Hi Tom,

I still like the Simplify Theme Design.

Here are some new requests to make it even better and some bug reports:

• If you turn on "sticky header" in Style & Layout, the social media icons aren't clickable anymore. And also the navigation path under the main navigation menu //mainpage>category>forum, which is located in the same row as the social media icons

• If you use "shrink header", it doesn't really shrink it, but moves elements (f.e. profile menu) out of display sight... (I'm using MS Edge Browser)

• Some very important colors can't be changed via the Simplify ACP settings. I would ask you to insert options for them please. F.e.

- Tabs of the Leaderboard (background and fonts) - VERY IMPORTANT!
    - Reputation field in user profile (background), currently green
    - Prices on download pages, also green
    - Background of "pinned icons", also green

I would like to set all green to blue. How is this possible please?

• It would be great to have more options for styling the main navigation bar,
    f.e. use only capitals, change fonts size, make it bold...

• The breadcrump is still too much space waste even if set to height=0. A solution to make it more compact would be favorable.

• On the forum page, you can set main titlebar background (in my case dark blue) and fonts (in my case white), that's ok.
    But if you go to the thread level, i can set the thread titlebar (also dark blue), but the font is not editable as it takes the "main theme font". As the main theme font color is also used for the navigation menu font, there is a problem: If I set the main theme font to white, there is no more navigation menu... If I set it to black, you can't see it with dark blue background.

Hence, for the thread title, the fonts should be configurable separately

• In the footer, the automatic fonts size for elements and default size for personal text differs...

• In the ModCP, if you look at the left menu, it isn't possible to give the moderation section titles (TOOLS, FORUM, BLOG....) a different background color like in the IPS standard skin. Everything is white, but the "Mod Chapter Titles" should stand out more (with editable background).

• On the forum registration page, I can see my logo on top, ok, but then there is a huge whitespace like 8 text lines nothing to see (if all elements are set to white), until the registration text begins. That really doesn't look good. It would be nice to use this totally wasted place with an image instead of "white nothing".

It would be great, if you could explain, what elements are used in the Leaderboard tabs. Currently I only see white fonts on white tab backgrounds.

The help file on your site is quite good, but I would suppose, if you could explain "areas used all over the suite" with examples used in the suite. It takes a long time with trial and error to identify what background style is used for what exact element in the suite.

Thanks for help!

@Tom Christian I am having some issues with selecting fonts. It seems that for primary and secondary font I can use either standard fonts OR google webfonts. I cannot combine Cuprum with Verdana for example. If I have the webfonts enabled and I select Cuprum and Verdana it falls back to some default font (different then the two mentioned) and I see that google fonts api is returning 403:

chrome_2017-01-15_02-03-54.png

In 3.4. you could easily match webfonts and standart fonts. 

Edit: I see now that this is intended. I preferred the flexibility of 3.4. 

Also, can you clarify which areas are covered by Primary and which by Secondary? On 3.4. I could set the primary to Verdana, secondary to Cuprum  and have the text of the post in easy to read, clear text with menu also looking nice and modern. Now it seems that "Primary" is tied to both menu and post content so I can either use easy to read font and make the menu boring or use modern font for the menu, which is difficult to read... For the "Secondary" I do not see which areas are affected except the title of the topic. 

Another issue, this time with navigation menu. 

When an item from the submenu is active, it is bolded and with different color, thats ok:

chrome_2017-01-15_10-25-35.png

But when an item from the top menu is active and there are no submenus, it is not bolded and you can't tell which is the active app. Here Tutorials is clicked:

chrome_2017-01-15_10-26-27.png

Calendar: Event title is white font with gray borders on white background, almost unreadable. 

chrome_2017-01-15_18-12-12.png

This happens also on profile if there is no cover photo. 

Tom, do you have any nearby plans to take a look at these issues? Some of them are not dealbrakers, but some of them are. At this point this skin is unusable in my opinion. I can help by summarizing everything I have posted, with screenshots too. I will try to include the issues posted by Cyboman as well, but only if you plan to work on it in the coming week or two. I can give access to my test board as I am not sure the issues are specific to me, your website is down.

Excuse me if I am wrong, but to me it looks like you are not as motivated and responsive as you used to be, if you can find time in the next two weeks, great, Simplify is still my top skin if it works. If you can't find the time I will have to find another skin and leave a honest review about this one. 

On 15/01/2017 at 8:26 AM, jair101 said:

When an item from the submenu is active, it is bolded and with different color, thats ok:

But when an item from the top menu is active and there are no submenus, it is not bolded and you can't tell which is the active app. Here Tutorials is clicked:

this seem be missing css for the top bar easy to fix

On 07/01/2017 at 9:18 PM, jair101 said:

I'll keep posting things I consider bugs if you don't mind :)

When you go to create a new topic from the "Create" menu if you select a forum, then use the dropdown menu again, on mouse over the name of the forum dissapears, I guess it becomes white. Maybe better to explain with screens. 

1. I select forum to post my topic in, evetything is good. 

chrome_2017-01-07_23-17-13.png

2 When I reengage the forums dropdown the selected forum is marked, also good:

chrome_2017-01-07_23-17-47.png

3. If I go with the mouse above it, like if I want to click it again or something, it is white, which is the bug:

chrome_2017-01-07_23-18-36.png

seem the font must be white so when hover is also white making not show easy to fix again

On 15/01/2017 at 0:04 AM, jair101 said:

@Tom Christian I am having some issues with selecting fonts. It seems that for primary and secondary font I can use either standard fonts OR google webfonts. I cannot combine Cuprum with Verdana for example. If I have the webfonts enabled and I select Cuprum and Verdana it falls back to some default font (different then the two mentioned) and I see that google fonts api is returning 403:

Also, can you clarify which areas are covered by Primary and which by Secondary? On 3.4. I could set the primary to Verdana, secondary to Cuprum  and have the text of the post in easy to read, clear text with menu also looking nice and modern. Now it seems that "Primary" is tied to both menu and post content so I can either use easy to read font and make the menu boring or use modern font for the menu, which is difficult to read... For the "Secondary" I do not see which areas are affected except the title of the topic. 

depending how web font is loaded as don't have them can't check but i used web font and standard font together with no problems.

On 15/01/2017 at 4:19 PM, jair101 said:

Calendar: Event title is white font with gray borders on white background, almost unreadable. 

Tom, do you have any nearby plans to take a look at these issues? Some of them are not dealbrakers, but some of them are. At this point this skin is unusable in my opinion. I can help by summarizing everything I have posted, with screenshots too. I will try to include the issues posted by Cyboman as well, but only if you plan to work on it in the coming week or two. I can give access to my test board as I am not sure the issues are specific to me, your website is down.

Excuse me if I am wrong, but to me it looks like you are not as motivated and responsive as you used to be, if you can find time in the next two weeks, great, Simplify is still my top skin if it works. If you can't find the time I will have to find another skin and leave a honest review about this one. 

again see that image looks css easy again easy to fix.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2017 at 8:26 AM, jair101 said:

Screenshot_41.thumb.png.17c4e6d127a137ff4a1cd069fd02ed3e.png

fixed

On 15/01/2017 at 4:19 PM, jair101 said:

unable to find this bug

On 15/01/2017 at 0:04 AM, jair101 said:

unable find this bug

On 31/12/2016 at 9:12 AM, jair101 said:

It would be nice if there is some background color to the quotes, right now only the very thin border is the difference between quotes and the actual reply:

chrome_2016-12-31_11-10-23.png

I think something like this is much easier on the eyes:

chrome_2016-12-31_11-12-09.png

fixed

Screenshot_43.thumb.png.fa33869bb56c774e4399e3fea9c12c97.png

On 11/01/2017 at 10:37 PM, Cyboman said:

Hi Tom,

I still like the Simplify Theme Design.

Here are some new requests to make it even better and some bug reports:

• If you turn on "sticky header" in Style & Layout, the social media icons aren't clickable anymore. And also the navigation path under the main navigation menu //mainpage>category>forum, which is located in the same row as the social media icons

UNABLE SEE THIS BUG

•  If you use "shrink header", it doesn't really shrink it, but moves elements (f.e. profile menu) out of display sight... (I'm using MS Edge Browser)

• Some very important colors can't be changed via the Simplify ACP settings. I would ask you to insert options for them please. F.e.

- Tabs of the Leaderboard (background and fonts) - VERY IMPORTANT!
    - Reputation field in user profile (background), currently green
  • fixed
    - Prices on download pages, also green
  • can't see this
    - Background of "pinned icons", also green

I would like to set all green to blue. How is this possible please?
  • yes all blue can be changed via css

• It would be great to have more options for styling the main navigation bar,
    f.e. use only capitals, change fonts size, make it bold...

• The breadcrump is still too much space waste even if set to height=0. A solution to make it more compact would be favorable.

• On the forum page, you can set main titlebar background (in my case dark blue) and fonts (in my case white), that's ok.
    But if you go to the thread level, i can set the thread titlebar (also dark blue), but the font is not editable as it takes the "main theme font". As the main theme font color is also used for the navigation menu font, there is a problem: If I set the main theme font to white, there is no more navigation menu... If I set it to black, you can't see it with dark blue background.

Hence, for the thread title, the fonts should be configurable separately

• In the footer, the automatic fonts size for elements and default size for personal text differs...

• In the ModCP, if you look at the left menu, it isn't possible to give the moderation section titles (TOOLS, FORUM, BLOG....) a different background color like in the IPS standard skin. Everything is white, but the "Mod Chapter Titles" should stand out more (with editable background).
  • its showing black background for me.

• On the forum registration page, I can see my logo on top, ok, but then there is a huge whitespace like 8 text lines nothing to see (if all elements are set to white), until the registration text begins. That really doesn't look good. It would be nice to use this totally wasted place with an image instead of "white nothing".
  • this is setting change the header

It would be great, if you could explain, what elements are used in the Leaderboard tabs. Currently I only see white fonts on white tab backgrounds.

The help file on your site is quite good, but I would suppose, if you could explain "areas used all over the suite" with examples used in the suite. It takes a long time with trial and error to identify what background style is used for what exact element in the suite.

Thanks for help!

@Theme Tent UK unfortunately I have switched to another skin, but to check the bugs I mentioned you can do as follows:

- Pick cuprum as primary font and verdana as secondary with webfonts toggle enabled. You will see the font error, because I believe google cannot deliver Verdana

- For the white font with outline on white background, it is whenever there is no cover photo - in profiles and events. Unfortunately I cannot see the demo board to verify now. 

- I have included some other bugs in previous replies, maybe worth to take a look at them as well. For the benefit of the other potential customers. 

Archived