how i can have url like in this forum? (community subdomain)

ipbfuck

I understand that but what about those that used the old index file for IPB 3 in site root and installed forum etc in sub domain.

I keep asking this but no one seems to want to answer

If we now move everything into the site root then would we not mess up all our old posts/links/images etc and all the links from IPB 3 on search engines would come back as not found if placed everything in site root wouldn't they ?

Basically you are saying you are stuffed if used a sub domain previously as no way to use Pages for site root as you could on IPB 3 ??

Am sure I recall reading somewhere that IPS 'were listening to us so as to use Pages in site root and everything else in sub domain' and it had been done .... appears all the answers am seeing is that is cannot be done unless purchase another license for Pages then can install that in site root ??

To me looks like have to create my own page(s) for site root and have forums etc in sub domain and no longer use Pages ... which then means do not renew license as would no longer require it ?

Someone please tell me if I am right or not

It's not possible. Move everything to the root domain and set up a 302 redirect. Search engines will update the URLs, old links will redirect and you won't lose any SEO. 

I understand that but what about those that used the old index file for IPB 3 in site root and installed forum etc in sub domain.

I keep asking this but no one seems to want to answer

If we now move everything into the site root then would we not mess up all our old posts/links/images etc and all the links from IPB 3 on search engines would come back as not found if placed everything in site root wouldn't they ?

Basically you are saying you are stuffed if used a sub domain previously as no way to use Pages for site root as you could on IPB 3 ??

Am sure I recall reading somewhere that IPS 'were listening to us so as to use Pages in site root and everything else in sub domain' and it had been done .... appears all the answers am seeing is that is cannot be done unless purchase another license for Pages then can install that in site root ??

To me looks like have to create my own page(s) for site root and have forums etc in sub domain and no longer use Pages ... which then means do not renew license as would no longer require it ?

Someone please tell me if I am right or not

We have never supported the use of the ip.content index file in that setup if I'm understanding you correctly on your setup, it may have worked as a by product, but to avoid confusion here and so we can give you the proper answer, please file a support ticket and we can review your site setup and give you a proper answer.

We have never supported the use of the ip.content index file in that setup if I'm understanding you correctly on your setup, it may have worked as a by product, but to avoid confusion here and so we can give you the proper answer, please file a support ticket and we can review your site setup and give you a proper answer.

I filled ticket a while ago same question and got nowhere  but will try again as have found the instructions given by IPS to use CCS in site root

@Rhett: Sorry in Advance For tag, but i need to ask directly to you...

i've see more topic Like this (same object).

atm For me isn't really necessary subdomain structure (Like ips3), but special Index in root, core in subdirectory and fixed link (no subdirectory in url - Like all files in root) can be a Perfect solution.

do u think that this can be done in future release?

or maybe i can by myself with a rewrite rule via ACP?

thanks in Advance For any reply,

regards :)

Just install the suite in root and set pages as the default app. Your homepage will be mydomain.com/ and your forums will be mydomain.com/forums/

Here's my dev site with an example: http://runementors.com/ and http://runementors.com/forums/ 

u don't have Read fine, or My English isn't sufficient For best explain. Sorry in this last case

... If i just put all files on one directory (root: Standard setup), My root directory is with more file and with more directory.

i've ask to have a setup Like this:

./public_html/

> Index.php (spacial ipb file)

> /laltroweb.it/ (just any directory that contain core files - but i new a way to not put this directory in url and maintain url as standard setup)

that's all.

It's not possible. Move everything to the root domain and set up a 302 redirect. Search engines will update the URLs, old links will redirect and you won't lose any SEO. 

A 302 is a temporary redirect. If you use this for long term you'll certainly create issues.

If you're moving everything from a subdomain to the root you need to plan this very carefully. I don't know what is on the root domain but you could also end up with panda issues if you were trying to separate a large amount of chaff from the wheat.

i think the simplest way is special Index in root with core in subdirectory and a Simple flag to rewtite and remove "subdirectory" from url.

clean root, all files in one directory, clean url.

This would seem to create unnecessary rewrites every server request.

I don't know how many backlinks you have and whether you care. If you're going to make a permanent move then you're best off having setup done properly with the install in a working directory that requires no tomfoolery. Then place 301 redirects to redirect Google and traffic to the new location, at least for a period of time so that Google is updated although you let it sit there if called since, in theory, this could be done with a simple directive since there is pattern matching.

its a non documented solution i worked out; im not connecting to the same db,

in my particular setup I have only few selected tables to be replicated between the two, while they each hold their own db instance,

SSO is also used to sync user account information,

Thanks. I did something similar once for a client that needed a multilingual solution but used the feature that allowed multiple sites to be synchronized using the same user tables. Won't do that again if I can avoid it but it was unavoidable with IPS3. 

A 302 is a temporary redirect. If you use this for long term you'll certainly create issues.

If you're moving everything from a subdomain to the root you need to plan this very carefully. I don't know what is on the root domain but you could also end up with panda issues if you were trying to separate a large amount of chaff from the wheat.

This would seem to create unnecessary rewrites every server request.

I don't know how many backlinks you have and whether you care. If you're going to make a permanent move then you're best off having setup done properly with the install in a working directory that requires no tomfoolery. Then place 301 redirects to redirect Google and traffic to the new location, at least for a period of time so that Google is updated although you let it sit there if called since, in theory, this could be done with a simple directive since there is pattern matching.

Thanks. I did something similar once for a client that needed a multilingual solution but used the feature that allowed multiple sites to be synchronized using the same user tables. Won't do that again if I can avoid it but it was unavoidable with IPS3. 

Sorry, yes, 301, not 302. You are correct.

u don't have Read fine, or My English isn't sufficient For best explain. Sorry in this last case

... If i just put all files on one directory (root: Standard setup), My root directory is with more file and with more directory.

i've ask to have a setup Like this:

./public_html/

> Index.php (spacial ipb file)

> /laltroweb.it/ (just any directory that contain core files - but i new a way to not put this directory in url and maintain url as standard setup)

that's all.

Why do you need "clean" root? It makes no difference whatsoever at all in any case ever.

because i can setup many domains/websites in My public_html folder

so, instead to have domain2.it etc inside ipb core folders, i prefer to maintain all separately like:

> /public_html/

./index.php (ipb special index file);

./domain1.it/ (ipb core files);

./domain2.it/ (other website with other domain)

Archived