How to make IPS4 "Release Notes" ?!

Angus90

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rikki said:

What I can do is just provide the templates and field formatting for those if that helps, without the tutorial.

that would be great - because it is everything similar and everybody wants to modify it for his own page - me too ;)

I've updated the Guides section with two more guides.

The first is a "Core Concepts" guide that goes over what each part of the Pages app is and does: https://community.invisionpower.com/4guides/suite-applications/pages/core-concepts/

The second is another tutorial, this time a basic one that requires no coding. Rather than a bug tracker, I made a recipes database since it meant more we could show more interesting fields: https://community.invisionpower.com/4guides/suite-applications/pages/building-a-recipe-section/

Next up is a section for Pages 'tips and tricks'. I'll cover the Guides templates there as well as ways to achieve things in templates that might not be immediately obvious. Does anyone have any requests for things they'd like to see? 

@Rikki

thank you very much that sounds very good ;)

Great would be something with advanced blocks creating for pages similar to the existing gallery block where you have blog topics displayed with existing gallery images used ... and from other apps

Or things like Article layouts what is often requested & tried here like cybe-y grid in themes forum and usage for data from different IPS apps like Blog, .. or with multible data feeds to display in grids & blocks to get an great and professional looking pages website ;)

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

@Rikki, I've noticed that there is already a topic guide for the guides section.

I'm wondering if that is wanted because the article can be technically not viewed.
When im clicking this link: https://community.invisionpower.com/4guides/suite-applications/pages/tips-tricks/advanced-recreating-our-guides-section-r163/

I'm seeing an error:

566b12910ebcc_ScreenShot2015-12-11at19.1

I'm just asking to follow up if i missed something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.12.2015 at 7:15 PM, Michael Schneider said:

@Rikki, I've noticed that there is already a topic guide for the guides section.

I'm wondering if that is wanted because the article can be technically not viewed.
When im clicking this link: https://community.invisionpower.com/4guides/suite-applications/pages/tips-tricks/advanced-recreating-our-guides-section-r163/

I'm seeing an error:

566b12910ebcc_ScreenShot2015-12-11at19.1

I'm just asking to follow up if i missed something.

Sorry to push that, but i would really like to know whats up here.

@Rikki - A tutorial for setting up the IPB Guides, I like how you can have numbered steps.

How it's set out here: https://community.invisionpower.com/4guides/suite-applications/pages/

And then how the steps are laid out: https://community.invisionpower.com/4guides/suite-applications/pages/core-concepts/

Something like that would be idea for tutorlals/guides on how to do things, like servicing a car etc etc.

Would this be possible?

I've followed this several times but every time I get to the step of including the js file in the page I get a 'something went wrong ... EX1' error.  I've tried both a manual and PageBuilder page as well as the single column and customWrapper settings.  The CSS include works fine.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing the problem please?

14 hours ago, Edward Shephard said:

I've followed this several times but every time I get to the step of including the js file in the page I get a 'something went wrong ... EX1' error.  I've tried both a manual and PageBuilder page as well as the single column and customWrapper settings.  The CSS include works fine.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing the problem please?

make sure you follow the guide correctly WITHOUT changing field names or customizing anything else 

once you finish creating it then customize it for your needs 

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice, I only wish it could be more "mobile friendly".

If you have lots of items on the left menu, well you have to scroll down a lot in mobile to view the information.

It would be nice if it jumped to the content when you tap an item.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/12/2015 at 5:27 PM, Rikki said:

Does anyone have any requests for things they'd like to see? 

I'm intrigued at how to go about adding a cover photo into a database template. I attempted it with CSS and using a link to a set image rather than worrying about editing permissions to upload one etc. Mine wasn't a great success because it was only one line high in the absence of a height attribute, and it wasn't able to emulate the changing of the top attribute when resizing the window.

If you found the time to draw up a how-to for this, I suspect you'd find an awful lot of grateful people suddenly generating very pretty database templates featuring a cover photo :)

That looks a very good back-up solution, Ralf :)

I had in mind the same sort of cover photo as the blogs use, where the proportions adjust with the browser window and the image repositions itself slightly. Plus it has the lovely overlay effect. I had seen it in action here and thought to myself that it really adds a beautiful touch to a database.

It's very helpful seeing your CSS, though. Thanks for sharing it and presenting to me an alternative.

I've noticed, @Rikki and @Marc S, some instances where the step numbering isn't consistent depending on the template in the Guides section.

For example, the category index for Pages looks like this:

fields-1.jpg.59931c985add25d9e3dfbf7e1e2

Note that "Field formatting" is step 4.

When I click on the header to go to the listing template, I get this:

fields-2.thumb.jpg.aacc8454896193ab0f3f8

Step 4 is no longer "Field formatting" but "Creating basic templates". And if I click on it to go through to the display template, I see that this should be step 7:

fields-3.jpg.c4ac97f03e081a76d29e37b5a09

There's also a small permissions discrepancy, in that we can see links to records ((Advanced) Recreating our Guides section, for example) which we don't actually have permission to read.

• 1 month later...

Archived