Support for Chrome Push Notifications

RevengeFNF

What is the best feature to bring back users to our community? Notifications. If i receive a notification that someone quoted me, i will probably return to the site to see what they answer me.

Since version 42(its now on 44), Google Chrome supports Push Notification. For example, someone quotes me or likes one of my posts, Chrome would give me a notification on Android or Desktop, even if Chrome is not open. Just like a normal App.

Im asking here for Invision to add support for that incredible feature.

There was a thousand-pages topic on preview board regarding this.

IPS said no at this time. Maybe on a further version.

Hello, 

That topic was about a year ago. At that time there was not browsers with push notifications available. We talked about notifications without the need to refresh the page, something like this mod:https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7461-instant-informing/

If i remember well, invision said at that time, that many browsers making requests at the same time, could be very resource intensive, and because of that, they did not want to implement it. 

Here we are talking about push notifications  with browsers that supports it, and its a lot more resource friendly. 

I have no doubt this is the future of web notifications. We just need to see if invision wants to be pioneer in this regard, or if they will follow other boards later, when they add this. 

Hello, 

That topic was about a year ago. At that time there was not browsers with push notifications available. We talked about notifications without the need to refresh the page, something like this mod:https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7461-instant-informing/

If i remember well, invision said at that time, that many browsers making requests at the same time, could be very resource intensive, and because of that, they did not want to implement it. 

Here we are talking about push notifications  with browsers that supports it, and its a lot more resource friendly. 

I have no doubt this is the future of web notifications. We just need to see if invision wants to be pioneer in this regard, or if they will follow other boards later, when they add this. 

GC already supported push notifications at the time. @GreenLinks was one of ther users that participated in that topic.

You can install this exstention (or any other RSS) and subscribe to your RSS Notifications Feed. I did it and now I receive all notifications in my Chrome. No need to check notifications on this website.

It's not that handful to the website users. Something more easy just like saying yes to a notification pop up is much better.

You can install this exstention (or any other RSS) and subscribe to your RSS Notifications Feed. I did it and now I receive all notifications in my Chrome. No need to check notifications on this website.

Its different. With this, you have teh smartphoen on your pocket, and you receive a notification, and you go see what it is.

Example:

Some things to think about if something of this type was developed:

1. To which browser should the software send the push notification?
    • The one last used to login? Any other logged in sessions in other browsers wouldn't see the notifications.
    • The last browser actively used? Again, any other logged in sessions wouldn't see the notifications.
    • All browsers used by the account? How many is too many.....also, what if the user forgot to log out of a browser on a public computer?
    • What if the user has logged out in a browser? Software would need to ensure that notifications are only sent to active logged in accounts.

It's a great idea in theory, but the practice really needs to be thought about to ensure that notifications only go to the person intended.

• The one last used to login? Any other logged in sessions in other browsers wouldn't see the notifications.
    • The last browser actively used? Again, any other logged in sessions wouldn't see the notifications.
    • All browsers used by the account? How many is too many.....also, what if the user forgot to log out of a browser on a public computer?
    • What if the user has logged out in a browser? Software would need to ensure that notifications are only sent to active logged in accounts.

It's a great idea in theory, but the practice really needs to be thought about to ensure that notifications only go to the person intended.

Look at the Code here: https://developer.mozilla.org/de/demos/detail/html5-notifications/launch

It is just some JavaScript code. So the notification will send to all browsers where you are logged in.

It will cost some server power because it is not a real push. The browser has to check every x seconds/minutes nor new notifications in background (with ajax for example).

If you want real push you need some extra server software.

JS = front-end, intitating a request back to the server to send a notification. That's not a true push - that's a request back to the server by the browser to request a push be made to the browser.

You could go for a JS solution - but that relies on the board software being open in a browser and initating a call back to the server to say "send me stuff".

A true push is totally back-end, handled by the software - example....when someone replies to this post, the software on the server (not the software in the browser) would initiate a notification push to the browser. And that's where it gets cool - no need for the board to be open in the browser at all.....the browser will display the notification, not the software.

I implemented this in an app I developed for my previous employers - started off with the JS request back to the server then as some browsers started implementing push notifications I began testing it out....get the back-end software to handle the work and there was no need for the app to be opened up in the browser.

Facebook would support it if there were all that problems?

First, you need to be logged with your Google Account in Chrome, the same must happens with Firefox or any other. Second, you need to give permission per browser to receive the Notifications, So if you enter in a Public Computer with your account in Chrome and you accept to receive the notifications, sorry but that's very dumb... The next person to go to that Public computer, will only not be able to view your notification, but will also be able to enter your gmail etc etc

Facebook would support it if there were all that problems?

Did I say they were problems? No, I didn't. I simply intimated that if it was developed then security needs to be thought about from the software side. I'm sure Facebook have thought about it too.

I'm not against the idea - see "It's a great idea in theory" - just adding my tuppence, as everyone else is, into the mix.

Did I say they were problems? No, I didn't. I simply intimated that if it was developed then security needs to be thought about from the software side. I'm sure Facebook have thought about it too.

I'm not against the idea - see "It's a great idea in theory" - just adding my tuppence, as everyone else is, into the mix.

Ok, so i will respond to your questions:

• It will send the notifications to the browser's you enabled notification for that specific site. 
  • No, only to the browser's that you accepted the notification. It has nothing to do with login sessions.
  • When you accept in Chrome notifications for Facebook for example, you will receive notifications from it. If you have Firefox and Chrome installed, you only accept notification from one of them. If you accept from both, you will receive in both, simple as that.
  • It does not matter if he is logged in or out. It will send the notifications if you are accepting them in Chrome. If you want to stop receiving them, just go to definitions and remove it for Facebook.

Archived