Missing features in 4.0 are a HUGE problem for my business

DReffects2

I was on version 2.x before upgrading to 4 - there was a 'download topic' button that opened up a new window with the page in print layout without pagination

Did you never wonder why it did not make the 3 series? Loading *all* of the posts in a given topic is never a good idea. What precisely would you expect to happen attempting to print a topic with even a modest 1000 replies? I would expect the server to time out, personally....

Did you never wonder why it did not make the 3 series? Loading *all* of the posts in a given topic is never a good idea. What precisely would you expect to happen attempting to print a topic with even a modest 1000 replies? I would expect the server to time out, personally....

Well I have no idea but I have lots of users complaining since they are running a RPG within the forum and they used to archive the storylines by printing them. Two other sites require that due to the braille compatibility they've got going on.

This seems ripe for a custom plugin, I am sure it could be done quite inexpensively by one of the fine coders here. 

Thanks for the hint!

• 2 months later...
Just now, IndianaJoe said:

How do they make a release version and don't include the relational database field? Do they realize how many sites they have just screwed up?

It's been MONTHS now. The initial prominse was "a few weeks". :(

I also wonder what they mean by "simple relational field" in the release notes. Does that mean that it's a one-way relation as it was in the early IP.CCS Versions or is it functional like with the latest 3.x Pages release?

I really hope IPS gives a more detailed information about new major releases, especially in terms on how exactly they are transforming the community and its features.

Sure, that might all be documented somewhere in the blogs but imho a pre-upgrade document with structured information would be great.

7 minutes ago, DReffects2 said:

I really hope IPS gives a more detailed information about new major releases, especially in terms on how exactly they are transforming the community and its features.

Sure, that might all be documented somewhere in the blogs but imho a pre-upgrade document with structured information would be great.

You mean like this? https://community.invisionpower.com/release-notes/410-r24/

8 minutes ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

Sweet. But that wasn't available when upgrading to 4.0. At least not before the upgrade process.

Currently 4.0 reads:

That's another thing that bugs me extremely: Locations of Release notes and information constantly change, previously available documentation just vanishes etc.

My primary point of contact with you guys is the client area, not the community. So i'd suggest you incorporate this information during or before the upgrade in the client interface. I've upgraded from 2.x to 4.x and was more than shocked to see so many features just disappear.

Could you please elaborate on that:

I also wonder what they mean by "simple relational field" in the release notes. Does that mean that it's a one-way relation as it was in the early IP.CCS Versions or is it functional like with the latest 3.x Pages release?

• Management
1 minute ago, DReffects2 said:

Locations of Release notes and information constantly change

It's been in the top menu from the day we started doing release notes. They also show in the AdminCP prior to an upgrade.

2 minutes ago, DReffects2 said:

I do not have a clear answer to that as it depends on what you are doing. There is a beta of 4.1 available if you want to try it.

When doing an upgrade I shouldn't expect my website to be totally crippled, plain and simple. I shouldn't have to go dig up the release notes to find out relational fields are "MISSING." I should be warned about that...say before I do the upgrade. I shouldn't have to dig through the messageboards to find this out.  

I've worked in software for 15 years and I can't imagine releasing an update that takes features away.

• Management

I am sorry you did not take time to investigate the entire feature set or do a test upgrade before upgrading your live site. As you have worked for software in 15 years, I am sure you know that things often change in software over time and it is always wise to perform due diligence before any major change.

4 minutes ago, Charles said:

It's been in the top menu from the day we started doing release notes. They also show in the AdminCP prior to an upgrade.

I do not have a clear answer to that as it depends on what you are doing. There is a beta of 4.1 available if you want to try it.

Sorry, but my Admin CP never ever showed in a recognizable way that tons of features would just go away. As I said - i do NOT check the community but the client area. I really do not have the time to engage in yet another social community. You don't see BMW or Mercedes hand out critical information about missing brakes on their facebook page, or do you? ;)

Concerning the relational field: in 3.x it works in a way that the records get linked on both ends, not just in one direction. Is this still the case with 4.1?

There is a reasonable expectation that it would be some minor tweaks and fixes when performing an upgrade. There is an unreasonable expectation that a website would be literally crippled due to an upgrade. The only thing that works now is...the forums and store.

• 10 months later...
On 08/07/2015 at 9:04 AM, Rikki said:

I've put together a really quick print stylesheet you can use to approximate what IPB 3 did. Simply add this CSS to your custom.css file for your theme (or, if you prefer, create a new css file called print.css). Paste this in:

@media print {
	body {
		width: 100%;
		font-family: "Georgia", "Times New Roman", serif;
		background-color: #fff !important;
	}

#ipsLayout_header > header {
		margin-bottom: 0 !important;
		padding: 10px 0 0 0 !important;
	}

#elSiteTitle {
		color: #000 !important;
		font-size: 1.8em;
	}

#elHeaderNavigation {
		background: #fff !important;
		padding: 0 0 15px 0 !important;
		border-bottom: 1px solid #ebebeb;
	}
	#elFooterNavigation {
		padding: 15px 0 0 0 !important;
		border-top: 1px solid #ebebeb;
	}

.ipsLayout_container {
		max-width: 100% !important;
	}

#ipsLayout_contentArea,
	.ipsBox {
		border: 0 !important;
	}

#ipsLayout_mainArea {
		padding-left: 0 !important;
		padding-right: 0 !important;
	}

#ipsLayout_sidebar,
	#elSearchNavContainer, #elMobileNav,
	#elHeaderSubLinks,
	#elUserNav,
	#elWidgetControls,
	.ipsToolList,
	.ipsButtonBar,
	.ipsDataItem_lastPoster,
	.ipsComment_controls,
	.ipsFollow,
	.ipsPageHeader .ipsUserPhoto,
	.ipsLikeRep,
	.cTopicPostArea,
	[data-controller="core.front.core.sharelink"] {
		display: none !important;
	}

.ipsType_richText {
		font-size: 1.2em;
	}

.ipsType_sectionTitle {
		background: #333 !important;
		color: #fff !important;
		border-radius: 0 !important;
	}

.ipsType_pageTitle {
		font-size: 2em;
		color: #000;
	}

.ipsPageHeader {
		margin: 30px 0 !important;
	}

.ipsPhotoPanel > div {
			margin: 0 !important;
		}

.ipsComment {
		border-bottom: 4px solid #333 !important;
	}

.ipsComment.ipsColumns,
	.ipsComment.ipsColumns > .ipsColumn {
		display: block !important;
		width: 100% !important;
	}

.ipsComment_author {
		text-align: left !important;
	}

.ipsComment_author .cAuthorPane_photo,
		.ipsComment_author .cAuthorPane_photo ~ li {
		}
}

This doesn't work in 4.1.12.1. Is there any chance it will be updated?

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2015 at 9:04 AM, Rikki said:

I've put together a really quick print stylesheet you can use to approximate what IPB 3 did. Simply add this CSS to your custom.css file for your theme (or, if you prefer, create a new css file called print.css). Paste this in:

@media print {
	body {
		width: 100%;
		font-family: "Georgia", "Times New Roman", serif;
	}

#ipsLayout_header > header {
		padding: 10px 0 0 0 !important;
	}

#elSiteTitle {
		color: #000 !important;
		font-size: 1.8em;
	}

#elHeaderNavigation {
		padding: 0 0 15px 0 !important;
		border-bottom: 1px solid #ebebeb;
	}
	#elFooterNavigation {
		padding: 15px 0 0 0 !important;
		border-top: 1px solid #ebebeb;
	}

.ipsLayout_container {
		max-width: 100% !important;
	}

#ipsLayout_contentArea,
	.ipsBox {
		border: 0 !important;
	}

#ipsLayout_mainArea {
		padding-left: 0 !important;
		padding-right: 0 !important;
	}

#ipsLayout_sidebar,
	#elSearchNavContainer, #elMobileNav,
	#elHeaderSubLinks,
	#elUserNav,
	#elWidgetControls,
	.ipsToolList,
	.ipsButtonBar,
	.ipsDataItem_lastPoster,
	.ipsComment_controls,
	.ipsFollow,
	.ipsPageHeader .ipsUserPhoto,
	.ipsLikeRep,
	.cTopicPostArea,
	[data-controller="core.front.core.sharelink"] {
	}

.ipsType_richText {
		font-size: 1.2em;
	}

.ipsType_sectionTitle {
		background: #333 !important;
		color: #fff !important;
		border-radius: 0 !important;
	}

.ipsType_pageTitle {
		font-size: 2em;
		color: #000;
	}

.ipsPageHeader {
		margin: 30px 0 !important;
	}

.ipsPhotoPanel > div {
			margin: 0 !important;
		}

.ipsComment {
		border-bottom: 4px solid #333 !important;
	}

.ipsComment.ipsColumns,
	.ipsComment.ipsColumns > .ipsColumn {
		display: block !important;
		width: 100% !important;
	}

.ipsComment_author {
		text-align: left !important;
	}

.ipsComment_author .cAuthorPane_photo,
		.ipsComment_author .cAuthorPane_photo ~ li {
		}
}

Thanks for this RIkki, but am I missing something?  I copy/pasted this code into my custom.css, saved it, but am I supposed to see a Print option somewhere?

12 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Thanks for this RIkki, but am I missing something?  I copy/pasted this code into my custom.css, saved it, but am I supposed to see a Print option somewhere?

No. This is just the styling for the page when you click print in your browser. This will not add a "print" button on-page.

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

No. This is just the styling for the page when you click print in your browser. This will not add a "print" button on-page.

Thanks Jim.  I guess it's not working for me then.  I installed this code in one theme and left the default untouched; I've tried browser print with blog posts, articles and forum threads across IE, Chrome, Firefox and Opera, trying both themes, and the browser print preview is always the same: a dog's breakfast without any specialized formatting. :unsure:

20 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

Thanks Jim.  I guess it's not working for me then.  I installed this code in one theme and left the default untouched; I've tried browser print with blog posts, articles and forum threads across IE, Chrome, Firefox and Opera, trying both themes, and the browser print preview is always the same: a dog's breakfast without any specialized formatting. :unsure:

I do not see this in your custom.css, did you remove? The change isn't drastic but it will change your text to black and background to white, as well remove a lot of items. As this is rather old, it could not be working but I don't think these ID's and Classes have changed that much in the releases but I'll Rikki respond here.

On 1/27/2017 at 6:49 AM, Jim M said:

I do not see this in your custom.css, did you remove?

Oh, sorry, yes, I was tinkering and removed it - it was originally only in my LightBlue theme but now it's in both available themes.  At any rate, I must have missed something because it now seems to work in every browser except Firefox, which munches everything hopelessly.  My only slight gripe is that some of top menu lines still seem garbled.

For the sake of simplicity (and putting all comments in one thread), I'll post the thread I originally posted:

Archived