Slow Load Speed

The location of the files is the same.( .../uploads/...) If you created a true cookie - free domain no problem.
This method changes the only way of loading, but not content & location files.

When changing the storage location from the drop down two processes are created. One to move the files to the "new" location and a second to delete the old files from the "old" location.

If the location of the "new" and "old" uploads folder is the same.. the second process deletes the files. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When changing the storage location from the drop down two processes are created. One to move the files to the "new" location and a second to delete the old files from the "old" location.

If the location of the "new" and "old" uploads folder is the same.. the second process deletes the files. 

With a small detail - does not change location of the files. At any time,if you wish, you can return the address to load as default.

Use a cookie - free domain so as I have described above, changes nothing like you describe.

That everyone can do.

1. Create subdomains on your server aimed at root - for example: stat.your domain.com

It will be true when this subdomain created equal load your site.

You forgot to mention that if you are running in SSL mode, then you have to be sure that the extra domain that you created ALSO has a valid SSL certificate or you will get insecure content being displayed (even though currently this is an issue with IPS that frequently shows insecure content anyway but should be resolved shortly with the inclusion of a proxy).

With a small detail - does not change location of the files. At any time,if you wish, you can return the address to load as default.

Use a cookie - free domain so as I have described above, changes nothing like you describe.

I was going to look into this next week, but definitely need confirmation that the files are not deleted at all. Is this 100% certain?

I was going to look into this next week, but definitely need confirmation that the files are not deleted at all. Is this 100% certain?

In the configuration file storage there are two possibilities.

Here at this site using change of location - for complex use of cookie-free domain and CDN. This method removes files from your root / uploads.
I do not like CDN because Google Development test also does not like it.
I do thousands of tests - not only with my site. No site using CDN with good speed Google Development Test  account. I believe this test - stands behind this global search tool Google. In any other Web test tool not support search.

Method I describe in which this topic does not change location. Take a look at creating a second file storage - do not change the address of your files and only add custom url selected for their loading.

It is very important before that to make sure that your cookie-free domain functions in the same way as your domain.
For example - when put in the browser address bar  "stat.domain.com" - this application should be loaded into browser your site as and when put in the address bar only domain. Only when this works, then it can use this method.

Right so the important parts are making sure you use 'Open System ->Files->Storage Settings-> Configurations -> Create new' and that the 'stat' domain points at the same root as the main site.

Other questions from above......

• Is it better to have 'stat.newdomain.com' instead of stat.your_domain.com (as this would be a sub-domain)?
  • To gain site speed I switched the Storage Method from 'File System' to 'Database', can that still be used to to work with this would I need to switch back to 'File System'?
  • Any rough ideas as to what YSlow speed improvement this would give?

Sub domain addresses in root is already cookie-free domain.

Improving site speed depends on many factors, but the use of cookie-free domain will improve by 4-6 points performance site.

When I introduced this method on my website YSlow reported with GTmetrix change from 87->92.
Speed analysis with Google Development Test changed from 85-86 / 100 for the desk of 90-91 / 100.
Mobile was 69-70 / 100 and improved to 75/100.

In the configuration file storage there are two possibilities.

Here at this site using change of location - for complex use of cookie-free domain and CDN. This method removes files from your root / uploads.
I do not like CDN because Google Development test also does not like it.
I do thousands of tests - not only with my site. No site using CDN with good speed Google Development Test  account. I believe this test - stands behind this global search tool Google. In any other Web test tool not support search.

You suggest not to use a CDN?

You suggest not to use a CDN?

Everyone decides for himself. I think that CDN is not good communication.
Or not well implemented, which I think performance deteriorates site.

If you want your site to depend on umpteen server unclear how many locations as well as the current status of different parts of the global network, use CDN.

I do not use it and not use it because I judge a communication point of view and I find more disadvantages than benefits.
But it still is my private opinion.

Yep, just lost a bunch of files on my forum, will have to restore from a backup.
Seriously IPS, anyone with an education should be able to see the problem it might cause if the folder remains the same. This looks like a major oversight to me.

In the coming weeks we are going to be reaching out to some clients reporting speed problems to investigate. We have no issues with speed on sites that we host so we are curious what is different on other sites.

I volunteer for this, if you're looking for volunteers.  I have a 3.4 and 4.0 forum running on the same server which may be beneficial when determining if it's hardware or software.  My 3.4 system feels much faster than the 4.0 (and I had a ticket opened on performance).

In the coming weeks we are going to be reaching out to some clients reporting speed problems to investigate. We have no issues with speed on sites that we host so we are curious what is different on other sites.

Charles, even this community is slower than 3.4. Actually, my site is faster that this one. O load View New Content in 1,7 seconds, and here it takes for me 2,3 seconds. On 3.4 it would only take something like 0,6 seconds, witch is a lot faster.

Im also available to help in this regard if you ask me. 

You forgot to mention that if you are running in SSL mode, then you have to be sure that the extra domain that you created ALSO has a valid SSL certificate or you will get insecure content being displayed (even though currently this is an issue with IPS that frequently shows insecure content anyway but should be resolved shortly with the inclusion of a proxy).

i have this issue :( namecheap told me to change every link to https because insecure content. but i dont have any subdomains and have own dedicated ip yet ppl see this error and google font and images arent working displaying in https mode

What load time should be considered as slow?

MyBB & XenForo loads within 50-70ms on my server.

IP.Board 3.4 loads within 300-400ms

IPS 4.0 loads within 500-700ms

now i hope this gets light weight as xenforo.. they was all running same configuration and same server (tried APC)

• Management

What load time should be considered as slow?

MyBB & XenForo loads within 50-70ms on my server.

IP.Board 3.4 loads within 300-400ms

IPS 4.0 loads within 500-700ms

now i hope this gets light weight as xenforo.. they was all running same configuration and same server (tried APC)

Again, you're comparing apples and oranges. Performance will definitely improve (some improvements are in 4.0.10) but IPS4 is never going to be as "light" as a forum as IPS4 isn't [just] a forum and it has the framework to support 8 applications which alone dictates a somewhat heavier footprint. Load times will also vary based on server configuration. Perception of load times will also vary. It's worth noting that 400ms is literally the blink of an eye. While it is an indisputable fact that users are more likely to lose interest in your site if it's noticeably slow, you're obsessing over speed differences that can't be detected without tools... certainly not by the naked eye. Your site should indeed be snappy, but unless your visitors are clicking page to page to page at a bizarre pace, the average user is not going to notice or care about the difference between 100ms and 800ms. One thing all users care about is content and the overall experience -- don't get lost in squeezing out every millisecond possible while losing focus on what's important; I've seen many users enable/install memcached, xcache, opcache, nginx, etc. and have a site that feels so fast it's like you're browsing on localhost... but with no content once the user gets there faster than no other. :)

I upgraded from IPS 3 to IPS 4 on May 9, 2015.

As seen in the graph below, average page load times went from about 5.7 seconds to about 8.8 seconds.

This is for a site with about 500k page views per week, plus five third-party banner ads per page.

page-speed.thumb.png.9502602d28aa3056c1f

It's only been two days since we upgraded from 4.0.9.2 to 4.0.10 but already it looks like load times are back down to ~5.7 seconds.

So I'm very grateful for the work that has gone into optimising "View New Content" (that is our second highest traffic page after the index page).

2 secs over 500k page views equates to 11 full days of waiting time per week. Time which could be spent clicking ads and generating us revenue.

Archived