Slow Load Speed

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used plenty of forum softwares, and this is #1 when it comes to slow loading. XenForo loads around 59ms on my server, MyBB around 48ms and IP.Board.. 400-500ms.. i have yet to find a forum that loadsd under that

This one does?

It must be possible for IPS to deliver pages quickly because, as mentioned, this here forum is pretty quick.

But despite MySQL optimisations, datastore tweaking, and everything else, my forum is still painfully slow.

Google Analytics was showing server response time as 0.4 seconds pre-upgrade, and 0.75 seconds post-upgrade.

I upgraded May 9th:

page-speed.thumb.png.81c29aa81a15ef3a9c4

I check chrome network log to see the load time, i don't depend on other services.

RoQ0dsz.png

I find it weird how it's so heavy, no other forum software is this heavy and this slow to load. I can't think of a single one.. 

• Management

I check chrome network log to see the load time, i don't depend on other services.

RoQ0dsz.png

I find it weird how it's so heavy, no other forum software is this heavy and this slow to load. I can't think of a single one.. 

Being on a different continent from the site, I'm not sure local Chrome network statistics are going to be the most accurate way to gauge pageloads. 

There's been obvious improvements to IPS4 since release in terms of performance and as a brand new platform, there's still much room for improvement. That said, if you're comparing "forum scripts" to IPS4, you're likely to find disappointment in terms of nitty gritty benchmark performance. IPS4's infrastructure is far larger to accommodate 8 applications and thus, it is going to naturally be "heavier" compared to something with a far narrower scope. Further, IPS4's foundation is much different than that of IP.Board's and the complexity required to move us forward is going to unfortunately highlight weaknesses in server environments. 

Finally, don't get hung up on graphs and site analyzers. We are purposely not leveraging any caching on this community currently as we do work through performance. It garners a 50/100 Google PageSpeed Insight rating... does it feel slow? Look at this large IPS4 site... that feels snappy as well. 

At this stage of the game, apart from VNC and large topics, performance should not be noticeably slow -- if your site is to the point it's noticeable, it's likely you have something else going on. 

Finally, don't get hung up on graphs and site analyzers. We are purposely not leveraging any caching on this community currently as we do work through performance. It garners a 50/100 Google PageSpeed Insight rating... does it feel slow? Look at this large IPS4 site... that feels snappy as well. 

Time to get to tweaking! :tongue:

I'm hitting 84/100 and I've not really even tweaked yet.  Admittedly my XF sites are a tad bit faster - but not much. 

I'm getting 5/100 mobile and 6/100 desktop...

Clean forum, no apps or plugins either so not sure what's going on.

As a starting point to improve speed your site:

- Find and remove the 17 validation errors in html5

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.clarity-dojo.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

- Customization->Themes- Edit your theme - Custom, Change loading JS -> "Javascript include location->Just before </body> tag"

This will speed up your site.

If you take advantage of cookie-free domain site will work even better.

What exactly does this entail and is it costly to do?

That everyone can do.

1. Create subdomains on your server aimed at root - for example: stat.your domain.com

It will be true when this subdomain created equal load your site.

2. Open System ->Files->Storage Settings-> Configurations -> Create new

cookie.thumb.png.4b2c418a0ece2f778e25fec

3. Then in storage settings and choose from the dropdown menu select the second row / he is your new method /

storage.thumb.png.4125f7f5d02e8eb79b3297

You can choose which resources to load this way.
In my site I have marked everything.
This improves YSlow Grade of your site.

That everyone can do.

1. Create subdomains on your server aimed at root - for example: stat.your domain.com

3. Then in storage settings and choose from the dropdown menu select the second row / he is your new method /

That all makes sense :) One or two questions.

• If I have multiple domains hosted on the server I assume the new content domain needs to point at the same root used by the main site?
  • Is it better to have 'stat.newdomain.com' instead of stat.your_domain.com (as this would be a sub-domain)?
  • To gain site speed I switched the Storage Method from 'File System' to 'Database', can that still be used to to work with this would I need to switch back to 'File System'?
  • Any rough ideas as to what YSlow speed improvement this would give?

Likely more questions later when not at work :)

That everyone can do.

cookie.thumb.png.4b2c418a0ece2f778e25fec

storage.thumb.png.4125f7f5d02e8eb79b3297

Unfortunately a delete process was created after the move process that deleted the old files from the move. If you created the sub-domain at the root and use the same directory then delete process will delete your files. So if I'm not mis-understanding I now have to restore from backup.

• Management

In the coming weeks we are going to be reaching out to some clients reporting speed problems to investigate. We have no issues with speed on sites that we host so we are curious what is different on other sites.

Archived