First week with IPS4..

LinkMania

Hello,

so i tested IPS 4 (4.0.8.1) in the last week with a large database of almost 6 GB of data (self hosted dual xeon at 2,5 ghz so 8 physical cores, 8 gb ddr2, raid1 software on two old 250 GB hdd) and overall i am pretty dissapointed. I expected more visible performance after all this time while IPS4 was developed but unfortunately not for me.

So Debian 8 with mariadb 10.0.16, nginx 1.6.2 and php5-fpm (5.6.9) with apcu.

1. The ACP is a mess. I know it's supposed to be simplified and bla bla easier, bla bla but for a 3.4.8 customer it is very hard to find the usual settings AGAIN. Probably for a new customer would be okay but for me.. oh my god..
  2. Is the Search Admin CP autocompleting after 5 characters of more? WTH, make it from 3 minim !
  3. And what is the deal with constants.php needing to be downloaded and re-uploaded to the site after each caching change? Who does that in 2015?
  4. How do i recache the website?
  5. Awful memcache performance !
  6. Awful APCu performance !
  7. Why that awful pagination style at Members - Groups? Why not putting the usual number in a box pagination instead of forcing me click on "Page 1 of 2" then increasing to page 2 and then clicking the go button? From what era is this style of presentation?
  8. Statistics - New post statistics ALWAYS gives "EX2 Something went wrong. Please try again."..
  9. After few days the buttons from Customization - Editor - Toolbars just dissappeared. And i only installed few plugins from the official marketplace. Where are the buttons? How do i recache that part? Clicking Add toolbar adds a blank toolbar.

So overall very dissapointed of IPS4 while IP.Board 3.4.8 runs excellent !

I sympathise with your disappointment, but if your experience is anything like mine then it will get better.

It's taken me six weeks of tweaking since the upgrade, finally the performance is returning.

Am not out of the woods yet. Still the "View new content" filtering is completely broken, and this is a core part of my forum.

I sympathise with your disappointment, but if your experience is anything like mine then it will get better.

It's taken me six weeks of tweaking since the upgrade, finally the performance is returning.

I do not understand why we have to tweak, why the product it isnt improving and we have to always fiddle around with settings..

Then most likely you're still running the several tasks in background, which makes the board slow at this stage.

Yes, several but.. they don't seem to really work thats why i am trying running them manually while getting 500 errors all over the place. php execution time is at 90 seconds now, the dedicated server is not that old (dual xeon 2,5 ghz, 8 gb ram..)

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/416895-ips4-500-errors-after-a-test-forum-upgrade-from-348/

I consider the 4.0.8 the Gold version.

Stable? Maybe. But highly optimized (in terms of performance)? I doubt it :tongue: 

I am sorry: i would not rule out issues on my end but.. IP.Board 3.4.8 works awesome for me!

I tested several beta and RC versions, and once upgraded my forum to RC but then decided to go back to 3.4.7. Now I'm happy with my decision :D 

The software will get better when more and more people use it and shows the problems with it.

If you remain seated and waiting, it can take longer.

You are right, but I have no choice. The experience of my forum users is more important (especially when I do not have a hosting server with a very good amount of resources). I "contributed" during betas and RCs, though ;)

I don't like 4x either, I think it looks dated and messy, aside from the performance issues. I do like some of the new features but feel they should have been used to perfect the 3x series, rather than a new version.

I won't be upgrading any time soon.

Ok, so my conclusion is Debian 8 sucks so much with its nginx, php-fpm, mariadb and memcached versions/builds. IPS4 runs AWESOME with memcached on a Arch Linux up-to-date with the same components but more recent versions.

Hey @LinkMania care to share your nginx config? 

• Management

@LinkMania - we can't begin to describe how much we appreciate the followup. We keep saying over and over that IPS4 will run amazingly well on a proper setup, but it's less forgiving from a hosting standpoint than IP.Board was because it's leveraging later technologies and has greater demands that are going to highlight existing hosting issues. 

Good job on a good setup and thanks again for sharing. :)

Archived