Advanced Tags & Prefixes - IPS 4.x

oI3iZvO.pngAdvanced Tags & Prefixes
For IPS 4.x

This application enhances IPS Community Suite 4's built-in tag and prefix system. It gives you custom styling and fine-grained control over prefixes, plus new settings, enhancements, and helpful moderation tools. Prefixes are explicitly created through the Admin CP, and can be chosen from a separate prefix dropdown when creating a topic or other prefix-enabled content.

View the Marketplace listing for more info and available features.

Please post any questions, feedback, or support issues here in the support thread.

Go to the Marketplace listing

Hey Ryan, 

Any plans to offer a discount for upgrade customers? 

Thanks for asking. I'm not opposed to the idea, but IPS doesn't give us any way to actually accomplish that. We can't do coupons or upgrade pricing or anything of the sort. I asked them about it a while back. That being the case, it's not likely to happen.

I don't know if I made a mistake somewhere but when I want to edit a forum I've an error : EX1054 Something went wrong. Please try again. 

http://screencast.com/t/LT6CRf04eeP

Also, when a prefixe contains a comma, there is a bug when you select this prefix :

http://screencast.com/t/310rW4dtV8If

http://screencast.com/t/9XLX8Sipoe

I'll look into those, thanks. As far as the apostrophe, do you already have tags/prefixes matching that text? Just want to know whether the issue is with that 'allowed prefixes' input specifically, or whether the tag system as a whole does not allow that.

Thanks for asking. I'm not opposed to the idea, but IPS doesn't give us any way to actually accomplish that. We can't do coupons or upgrade pricing or anything of the sort. I asked them about it a while back. That being the case, it's not likely to happen.

OK. I understand. I support all developers and I fully agree that when an app/mod needs to be rewritten from 0 to accommodate a new platform it deserves additional payment. But the the new price is 2.5x the previous version, which in my opinion is quite large increase.

I don't want to appear to be whining and you have the full rights to price an app in a way that it represents the work you put in to it. I fully respect that, just sharing an opinion. 

Edited by jair101

After verification, special characters are not permitted (", ', <, >) in tag system. I think it was already the same on 3.x, where I used ´ instead of '

That's probably correct. There was a list of disallowed characters in 3.x, but I didn't see that for 4.x so I didn't include any such filter. I'll take a closer look at that. Thanks again.

OK. I understand. I support all developers and I fully agree that when an app/mod needs to be rewritten from 0 to accommodate a new platform it deserves additional payment. But the the new price is 2.5x the previous version, which in my opinion is quite large increase.

I don't want to appear to be whining and you have the full rights to price an app in a way that it represents the work you put in to it. I fully respect that, just sharing an opinion. 

I understand, and I expected that kind of feedback. You're right, it is a large increase. The way I see it, the price of the app for 3.x (along with many other resources) was well under value, and that's a hard cycle to break out of. I'm taking this opportunity to do so. If anything, having large-scale applications all over for $20 does a disservice to everyone, by discouraging talented developers from ever getting involved in the first place. The people capable of that kind of work tend to go where their effort is best spent. I also do work for another (much larger) software ecosystem, Magento. Plugins there average around $200 from reputable companies. Not entirely comparable, but still: A very different ballgame.

If someone wants to undercut me, they're always welcome to try. The reality is I spent a lot of evenings for the better part of the last two months putting this together for everyone.

(I'm also hoping it might help curb piracy. I've never seen it so widespread as for IP.Board 3.x. Doesn't make sense. Suppose we'll see.)

That's probably correct. There was a list of disallowed characters in 3.x, but I didn't see that for 4.x so I didn't include any such filter. I'll take a closer look at that. Thanks again.

This filter is from IPS, no? I tested to enter an apostrophe in the IPS tag field and this apostrophe is automatically remove with a little tooltip that says "specials characters are not permitted".

http://screencast.com/t/vRTSAo5t2skP

http://screencast.com/t/aqZhklW7NT

Just released a new version 3.0.3. Should fix the issues noted above. Thanks Jujuwar. You can download it on the marketplace.

3.0.3 Changelog:

• Fixed an error on forum save.
  • Fixed an error on prefix table display, and quick search not working, in some circumstances.
  • Fixed prefix and tag fields allowing invalid characters (", ', <, >).

Just released a new version 3.0.3. Should fix the issues noted above. Thanks Jujuwar. You can download it on the marketplace.

3.0.3 Changelog:

• Fixed an error on forum save.
  • Fixed an error on prefix table display, and quick search not working, in some circumstances.
  • Fixed prefix and tag fields allowing invalid characters (", ', <, >).

Thanks, it is fixed for me :)

Just re-purchased, I installed it on my IPS 4 installation after an upgrade but none of my previous prefixes are there. How do I get them back?

When you say prefixes, do you mean the formatting and settings? Or the prefixes assigned to topics? Or both?

In the ACP, there is a list of tags but under prefixes, the list is empty.

Okay. But topics still have their prefixes where they should?

If you can, please PM me admin access and FTP if possible. It sounds like it might have treated it as a fresh installation instead of an upgrade, in which case the data might still be in the database, just not accessible. I can recover it if so.

Okay. But topics still have their prefixes where they should?

If you can, please PM me admin access and FTP if possible. It sounds like it might have treated it as a fresh installation instead of an upgrade, in which case the data might still be in the database, just not accessible. I can recover it if so.

Yeah, I can do that. Could you perhaps PM me your Skype if you use it?

The threads seem to have tags before the thread titles, so I'm guessing the information is still there. http://www.thejawaclan.com

I was able to confirm, in SiLink's case the 3.x prefix formatting data was still there, but IPS lost track of it during the upgrade. If this happens, you'll still have all of your prefix data, but they won't be formatted, and the 'Manage Prefixes' table will be empty after installing. Fixing just requites moving everything from table 'topic_prefixes' to 'advancedtagsprefixes_prefixes'.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, I'll see about correcting that in the install/setup process going forward.

I was able to confirm, in SiLink's case the 3.x prefix formatting data was still there, but IPS lost track of it during the upgrade. If this happens, you'll still have all of your prefix data, but they won't be formatted, and the 'Manage Prefixes' table will be empty after installing. Fixing just requites moving everything from table 'topic_prefixes' to 'advancedtagsprefixes_prefixes'.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, I'll see about correcting that in the install/setup process going forward.

That's great, thank you for sorting that out for us :)

Looks great. Does this work with all apps including Blogs? And can you sort by tags and/or prefixes easily by clicking them and is there a sort menu somewhere?

In IPS the open and closed system is global as well as the minimum and maximum. With this can I have a closed system with one tag max in one forum, and an open system with 5 tags in another?

Mandatory prefixes is great.

Thanks 

Looks great. Does this work with all apps including Blogs?

Yes, to an extent (though note, I haven't tested anything beyond forums, I don't own other apps). All apps that support tags/prefixes should make use of the prefix formatting, and should have the separate prefix dropdown input, no changes needed. They will not have all of the special forum settings (tag mode, default tags/prefix, require, etc). I have plans to extend those settings to all tag-enabled containers, but that will be some time down the road.

And can you sort by tags and/or prefixes easily by clicking them and is there a sort menu somewhere?

The app does not change sorting/filtering options at all. It'll behave the same way it does in a vanilla install. You can click tags and prefixes, and it will take you to a search for all content having that tag/prefix. It will not filter or sort within the forum directly.

In IPS the open and closed system is global as well as the minimum and maximum. With this can I have a closed system with one tag max in one forum, and an open system with 5 tags in another?

This app allows you to override the tag mode on a per-forum basis, so you can have it closed in one place and open in another, and it adds a 'prefixes only' mode. Currently it does not let you change the minimum/maximum tags per forum, but I'll take that into consideration.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks!

Looks like I'll be getting this unless IPS does it first. Not on 4 yet, but will get this when I upgrade. :)

I like that it works with the tag system in place. If we ever need to remove it, what would happen? Existing tags/prefixes would still be in place but would follow the global settings of IPS, correct?

Thanks!

Looks like I'll be getting this unless IPS does it first. Not on 4 yet, but will get this when I upgrade. :)

I like that it works with the tag system in place. If we ever need to remove it, what would happen? Existing tags/prefixes would still be in place but would follow the global settings of IPS, correct?

Correct. Tags and prefixes would be retained, but it would fall back to default settings, and no formatting.