Mobile only ads

catbreadbat

This is already available via the responsive CSS in HTML input or via uploading images you can specify a large/medium/small :) . This is a very commonly asked question so I'll look into writing up some documentation on it too.

This is already available via the responsive CSS in HTML input or via uploading images you can specify a large/medium/small :) . This is a very commonly asked question so I'll look into writing up some documentation on it too.

Do you mean the advertisements are resized for mobile? Because that is not what I am talking about... What I mean is advertisement 1 only shows on desktop, advertisement 2 only shows on mobile.

Do you mean the advertisements are resized for mobile? Because that is not what I am talking about... What I mean is advertisement 1 only shows on desktop, advertisement 2 only shows on mobile.

The size of the advertisements displayed is on your end ;) . The infrastructure to implement them in say a mobile screen-size is on our end and available. To implement an advertisement in just mobile you would have to encase it in the "show only on mobile" CSS class.

Say I want to show only an advertisement on Tablet and Mobile screen-sizes:

<div class="ipsResponsive_hideDesktop">
    <!-- insert advertisement code here -->
</div>

The size of the advertisements displayed is on your end ;) . The infrastructure to implement them in say a mobile screen-size is on our end and available. To implement an advertisement in just mobile you would have to encase it in the "show only on mobile" CSS class.

</div>

Ah, I see now. Sorry for misunderstanding you. Thanks for that! Implementing this right now lol. Is there a "_hideMobile" type class then? So if I want to set ads 123 on desktop only, and ad 4 on mobile only, some aren't seen in both areas.

Would love to see that documentation then! This is very intriguing.

EDIT: confirmed using the below code, hides desktop ads, from displaying on mobile:

<div class="ipsResponsive_hideMobile">
</div>

• 3 months later...

In the spirit of helping someone else out on a late night...the correct code that worked for me was not above, but:

<div class='ipsResponsive ipsResponsive_hidePhone'>
</div>

<div class='ipsResponsive ipsResponsive_hideDesktop'>
</div>

• 4 months later...
On 6/19/2015 at 10:23 AM, Jim M said:

</div>

@Jim M what if you wish to use a non-responsive ad code? Can you mix the two?  Google ad links and I also think that Google Search are not responisve.

Where can I paste code under the header and above the footer in the actual template, please?

1 hour ago, jackflash said:

@Jim M what if you wish to use a non-responsive ad code? Can you mix the two?  Google ad links and I also think that Google Search are not responisve.

Where can I paste code under the header and above the footer in the actual template, please?

Google Adsense actually does have responsive ads. You simply have to select that as an ad unit in Adsense.

If you wish to serve non responsive ads you would not need the css code mentioned above but would simply insert the code. Otherwise you might want to put it in the _hidePhone div tag if I misunderstood your question.

The ad panel has selections for where you want to include the code with both header and footer as an option as well as custom locations.

2 hours ago, jackflash said:

Not sure what you mean here. The code I provided will enable you to show advertisements to different screens thus allowing you to make non-responsive ads not break your responsive layout. If you have a responsive ad, there's no need to do anything like what I showed ;) 

16 hours ago, Jim M said:

Not sure what you mean here. The code I provided will enable you to show advertisements to different screens thus allowing you to make non-responsive ads not break your responsive layout. If you have a responsive ad, there's no need to do anything like what I showed ;) 

11 hours ago, David T. Cole said:

Loading but hiding ads can get you in trouble with Google Ad Sense since you are getting impressions for ads not displayed. The native Google code is a JS solution, not a CSS solution and only loads the ads for the device being used (in theory).

This is why I would like to just add them to the template like I currently do in 3.4 rather than hide ads in certain views.  Where can I paste the ad in both desktop view and mobile view directly?

12 hours ago, David T. Cole said:

Loading but hiding ads can get you in trouble with Google Ad Sense since you are getting impressions for ads not displayed. The native Google code is a JS solution, not a CSS solution and only loads the ads for the device being used (in theory).

Never mentioned Google AdSense.

1 hour ago, jackflash said:

This is why I would like to just add them to the template like I currently do in 3.4 rather than hide ads in certain views.  Where can I paste the ad in both desktop view and mobile view directly?

You cannot do this as IPS4 is a responsive theme. Which is what we're talking about here and why this code is needed if you want to accomplish that.

You can hide Adsense if you're using their responsive ads

Hiding an ad unit

In certain cases, particularly on smaller mobile devices, you might not want to show an ad at all. If you do want to hide an ad unit, then you can set a parameter with CSS media queries so that no ad request is made and no ad is shown. The following example shows you how to make these modifications:

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6307124#hide

• 4 months later...
On 24/9/2015 at 0:18 AM, sadams101 said:

In the spirit of helping someone else out on a late night...the correct code that worked for me was not above, but:

<div class='ipsResponsive ipsResponsive_hidePhone'>
</div>

<div class='ipsResponsive ipsResponsive_hideDesktop'>
</div>

Hi, with this code both ads appear on tablet. What's the code for fix it? thanks!

3 hours ago, J1897 said:

Hi, with this code both ads appear on tablet. What's the code for fix it? thanks!

Replace ipsResponsive_hidePhone with ipsResponsive_showDesktop if you want the main ad to appear on desktop only, or replace ipsResponsive_hideDesktop with ipsResponsive_showPhone to show the mobile ad on phones only and hide on tablets and desktop.

• 6 months later...
On 11.2.2016 at 6:36 AM, David T. Cole said:

That's a big problem, because Adsense ist the must powerful ad-system.

On 12.2.2016 at 9:00 AM, daveoh said:

You can hide Adsense if you're using their responsive ads

Hiding an ad unit

In certain cases, particularly on smaller mobile devices, you might not want to show an ad at all. If you do want to hide an ad unit, then you can set a parameter with CSS media queries so that no ad request is made and no ad is shown. The following example shows you how to make these modifications:

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6307124#hide

Responsive Ads with Adsense are not so profitable - they perform really bad.

So it would be great to find a better solution in IPS 4.

9 hours ago, mark007 said:

That's a big problem, because Adsense ist the must powerful ad-system.

Responsive Ads with Adsense are not so profitable - they perform really bad.

So it would be great to find a better solution in IPS 4.

Not true, responsive ads the code simply displays ads to fit your screen size. No reason why they would perform bad at all. My revenue never changed when I made the switch 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, daveoh said:

Are your ad impressions still the same, ads in the same locations?

Everything the same. 

Lots of publisher have the same problem. There are many reports that you can find on the internet.

Very strange, but responsive ads are really for most of the people very poor.

1 hour ago, daveoh said:

Strange one, I went from separate ads in mobile and desktop on IP Board 3 to responsive on 4 from day 1 yet saw no major drop off at all. Are your ad impressions still the same, ads in the same locations?

hello, does your responsive ad show ever a big billboard  ? the 970x250 ?   unfortunately the one placement i am using a responsive ad eventhough if you open from a big screeen doesnt show larger than 728x90. 

i need to ask you all something, can you be more specific in what you mean  "performs bad"  in numbers?  otherwise its just air talk! please mention your rpms, or viewability rates. 

both matter so much! please elaborate so that we can compare.!  my stats are not good yet because the migration just finished and had some problems with the robot.txt.... so they dont count yet .

about the mobile ads,   My oppinion is that whoever wants to make money out of advertising should invest his time to learn dfp small business. its an adserver, its free, and if you learn it good you can make wonders. invest in someone teaching it to you,(moneywise, timewise).  by using it you can use so many targeting parameters (geo, different content, device  etc. ).  

Archived