can members can still lock/close topics ...?

sound

Hmmm, It appears that you are correct with 3.4.x.

I suppose I was just automatically disabling it without really noticing it and actually I am glad to see this fixed in 4.0. Closing topics or posts should be a moderated feature set by Administration anyway. Can you imagine a forum filled with closed topics by members rather than staff?

Can you imagine a forum filled with closed topics by members rather than staff?

Yes I can. It is useful for Promotion forums where members want to end an offer or promotion. ;)

In databases you can have the author close it for comments. Same idea. And those databases can be used for promotion/sales as well.

Yes I can. It is useful for Promotion forums where members want to end an offer or promotion. ;)

In databases you can have the author close it for comments. Same idea. And those databases can be used for promotion/sales as well.

Even with this said, I'd find it hard to believe that many potential members / customers would stick around seeing a forum loaded with topics that have been closed. For me personally a forum like this would appear disorganized and out of control.

You can still do this. Just create a new Moderator with the Members group and disable everything except the ability to close topics. You can even set it on a per-forum basis.

That would allow them to close ANY topics in the forum as opposed to their OWN topics (which is what the missing option did) - no?

Yes, you're correct actually. This looks to be an oversight. I'll add it to the list.

Good to hear.

@Matt If possible, could there be a value which can be specified so you can allow someone to delete their own post but only within a certain window of time?

The ability to "Lock" own threads is important though.

Even with this said, I'd find it hard to believe that many potential members / customers would stick around seeing a forum loaded with topics that have been closed. For me personally a forum like this would appear disorganized and out of control.

I know many communitys which allow users to "lock" their own threads, it can be usefull.

If someone abuses that feature, it is removed from them, simples.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/14/2015, 8:21:40, sound said:

been looking for the setting in acp that will allow members to lock/close their own posts

anyone help?

On 6/17/2015, 3:33:25, Matt said:

Yes, you're correct actually. This looks to be an oversight. I'll add it to the list.

its something that members used to use a lot in sales types forums and they have asked for its return

given @Matt comments back in June I did say that it will be returning

is it returning?

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2015 at 8:21 PM, sound said:

been looking for the setting in acp that will allow members to lock/close their own posts

anyone help?

On 6/17/2015 at 3:33 PM, Matt said:

On 11/10/2015 at 10:33 PM, sound said:

its something that members used to use a lot in sales types forums and they have asked for its return

given @Matt comments back in June I did say that it will be returning

is it returning?

june 2015 original request and acknowledgement by @Matt

any chance invision of a update on the return of this needed (for me)  feature ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Songstuff said:

Added, as in included in latest release... Or added to the to do list again?

To the Planned list. I would imagine most of this stuff marked planned is for 4.2, otherwise it would be the In Progress tag.

Oh, and related, please let members close their own polls. The new close poll function you added seems to be for staff only? Figured it's related enough to closing topics to mention here. If you add this it would mean they could close the topic but not the poll in it. Due to the fact closing topics now does not close the poll. More info at my link. 

• 10 months later...

Archived