Birthday Greeter Support

6 hours ago, KevinGrand said:

Doesn't work for me, even when I run the task and have dummy accounts with birthdays set to present. Does having a sever lock (require server login to access page) affect this plugin?

The Birthday Greeter relies on IPB4 tasks which in turn relies on page visits. If you've got a server load and are not going to have a lot of visits, I would recommend setting up your tasks to run as cron jobs instead. This will ensure all tasks, including IPB's own will properly.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

If notifications is turned off, will this still try and send a birthday email?  I found at least one user who had notifications off, and I got a bounced reply.

Where exactly were notification disabled in IPB? In theory it shouldn't affect the birthday email as it's sent out separately.

On 27/06/2016 at 9:43 PM, Square Wheels said:

Or is there another way I can set people to not receive these emails?  I'd prefer to not move them into another group.

I've checked and that setting does cover bulk mails but I'm not seeing any reference to it in the email class. There is a "core_mail_error_logs" table that stores email errors, can you check it if there's any reference to the missing email? Also I assume you've ruled out it arriving in the users spam box as well?

11 hours ago, Mike John said:

I've checked and that setting does cover bulk mails but I'm not seeing any reference to it in the email class. There is a "core_mail_error_logs" table that stores email errors, can you check it if there's any reference to the missing email? Also I assume you've ruled out it arriving in the users spam box as well?

I suspect I explained it wrong.  I want a way to exclude specific members from getting the email.  One of my sites has over 10,000 members, clearly some of them have abandoned the site and have also changed their email address.  I change their preferences in ACP so that they will not receive any notifications.

Is there a way to make sure they also don't get the Birthday emails?

Thanks

On 29/06/2016 at 9:59 PM, Square Wheels said:

I suspect I explained it wrong.  I want a way to exclude specific members from getting the email.  One of my sites has over 10,000 members, clearly some of them have abandoned the site and have also changed their email address.  I change their preferences in ACP so that they will not receive any notifications.

My bad, I assumed that was the problem but you actually want to exclude them based on that setting. Try this edit, should check that setting and exclude the member if needed.

Open applications/birthdaygreeter/tasks/birthdayGreeter.php

Find:

$where           = array();

Add BELOW:

$where[] = array( "allow_admin_mails=1" );

Save.

11 hours ago, Mike John said:

My bad, I assumed that was the problem but you actually want to exclude them based on that setting. Try this edit, should check that setting and exclude the member if needed.

Open applications/birthdaygreeter/tasks/birthdayGreeter.php

Find:

$where           = array();

Add BELOW:

$where[] = array( "allow_admin_mails=1" );

Save.

Thanks, I made this change.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Michael R said:

After upgrading to 4.1.13.2, I no longer get daily topic posts. I am running the latest version of the app. Any suggestions?

Can you try running the task manually in the acp and see if you get any errors? If not, I'll need board access to troubleshoot further.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Could you provide the edit here so it can be applied manually until it's added to the product?  

To make sure I'm covering the right instance, are these members getting through in a particular group, being flagged by the spam service or flagged as banned?

9 hours ago, Mike John said:

To make sure I'm covering the right instance, are these members getting through in a particular group, being flagged by the spam service or flagged as banned?

I go through all of my bounced / returned mail and change the notification settings so they do not receive anything.  A few of them getting the Birthday Email show up with Adjust Ban, when I click that it already says Permanent.  I feel these people should not be receiving any email from the site, especially a warm Birthday greeting. :)

I've just updated this application with a few critical compatibility fixes with the latest IP.Board 4. You will need to go over the birthday settings again in some cases. See full list of bug fixes here.

@Square Wheels I've included both a check for "allow admin emails" and "temp_ban" flags for both the birthday greeter task and widget. That should cover most of the bases.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still having issues with this running. I upgraded IPS and the application. It just doesn't want to post a topic. I am not sure if it is sending an email either. I have run it manually bit it still does not post.

The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with the activity cut off limit. I started using it some time ago. Before I had it set to unlimited. But people were complaining that we were wishing happy birthday to people have haven't been on the site in a while. So I changed it to 730 days. Every since then it seems to post inconsistently. And recently not at all.

If you've recently update the app, you'll need to go through and ensure the settings are correct as a recent version of IPB4 forced a change on how a few settings are stored. If your still having an issue, can you take a complete screenshot of your birthday settings and I'll try and reproduce it locally.

I'm probably going to need acp and ftp to troubleshoot this as I don't have any issues like this. But here are a few things you can try and see what happens:

1. Disable all the alerts but the email one and manually run the task. Do you receive an email?
  2. Try the "create own topic" setting and also "add post reply" and see if the different settings make a difference to topic creation.