Topic Description for IPS 4.x

demoneyezer

Many moons ago Topic Description was a standard feature on IPS. It disappeared during the 3.x versions (someone created a hook for this afterwards) and also now it does not seem to be here.

Is there a way to get it back as currently I see many users on my board using the Tags area instead and this is not what it is supposed to be I guess.

I too would like to see this back, but considering it was removed from 3.x quite a few years ago now, I guess we're at the mercy of someone developing a plugin to allow us to re-add it.

Many topics on my existing forum still have topic descriptions, so I wouldn't be eager to upgrade my live site and lose all of these.

It might be time for me to try developing my own plugin for the first time... :/

• 3 months later...

There was a couple of mods out that brought the Topic Description part back in IP.Board 3.x but the current mods available no longer work since IP.Board 3.4.x and higher, well they definitely don't work on IP.Board 3.4.8 anyways but I have seen the same mods working on IP.Board 3.3.x.

I would also be very grateful if somebody was nice enough the release a mod or edit for this for IP.Board 4.

IPS should really add this feature back in IP.Board even if disabled by default but easily enabled via the AdminCP.

10 hours ago, Charles said:

We do not plan on adding "topic descriptions" in the software. They were removed in early versions of 4.0 over 2 years ago and we have had very little interest in them.

Very sorry to hear this as our members are using (I should actually say abusing) the Topics Tags field instead now... :(

8 hours ago, newbie LAC said:

I'll upload the plugin on MP today

Hi newbie LAC,

Will your plugin also work with any add on skins for IP.Board 4 or just the default skin?

If it should work with any add on skins, I take it all required skin edits info if needed and install instructions, etc, will be included with your upload?

Thank you in advance for responding.

1 minute ago, Jamie Clark said:

Hi newbie LAC,

Hello,

1 minute ago, Jamie Clark said:

Will your plugin also work with any skins for IP.Board 4 or just the default skin?

The field will be displayed on any skin

Topic description. Now we use css selectors instead of if/else points. If your skin template have its (I used default selectors) desc will be displayed.

6 minutes ago, Jamie Clark said:

If it should work with any skins, I take it all required skin edits and install instructions, etc if needed will be included with your upload?

No need any edits.

I uploaded the file. Waiting for approval

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2015, 11:34:26, demoneyezer said:

Very sorry to hear this as our members are using (I should actually say abusing) the Topics Tags field instead now... :(

Same tags abuse happens in my forum.

If there was a [Don't Like This] button, I'd for sure click it in Mr. President's post.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's great news, I'm still using topic descriptions on 3.4.5 (Pav33 Topic Description). I won't be upgrading any time soon but good to see there's something to restore the functionality when the time comes.

Newbie LAC, does this plugin restore the existing descriptions assuming they are still in the database? or is it for new ones only?

Archived