Video Embeds to Gallery

Gimpymoo

On 17/02/2016 at 1:49 PM, kar3n2 said:

Oh one of my problems with members uploading their own videos is that there doesn't seem to a way to add a cover image and it just shows up as an ugly black space 

I noticed that too Karen, but found out that once the video is uploaded, if the member who posted the video (or admins/mods) then go back in to the video and click the edit button, you can then add an image that will be displayed instead of the empty black box. Bit of a bummer it doesnt add the cover image automatically, but at least we can work around it. I've only been using the demo version so far to see if every aspect will meet our needs over 3.0, and have to say that once you get used to the new layout and how things work, it can be used to great effect.

I might try another demo one as the current one has expired, and see if I can do screen shots of adding the cover image for you ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2015 at 8:51 PM, Lindy said:

The good news is, we have concluded this is a fantastic idea and we would like to pursue it (and more.)

Hoping to see this one sooner than later. No need for video gallery apps when we have Gallery, want to use the reviews function Gallery has a well, for reviewing videos. It's the obvious app for it, just lacking video embeds.

Is there any update on this, like, can we expect it in 4.2? Thanks

On 20 February 2016 at 0:55 PM, crazzzydave said:

I noticed that too Karen, but found out that once the video is uploaded, if the member who posted the video (or admins/mods) then go back in to the video and click the edit button, you can then add an image that will be displayed instead of the empty black box. Bit of a bummer it doesnt add the cover image automatically, but at least we can work around it. I've only been using the demo version so far to see if every aspect will meet our needs over 3.0, and have to say that once you get used to the new layout and how things work, it can be used to great effect.

I might try another demo one as the current one has expired, and see if I can do screen shots of adding the cover image for you ;-)

I wonder if it's possible that we have one nice standard cover image so that all the video uploads at least look pretty until a new cover image is added.  Anything is better than the ugly black box 

I'm running IPB 4 now, and can't believe just how much better it is compared to IPB3 (which was already better than the other platforms out there!). It's just so slick, and our members are really loving it's useablility now.

I've downloaded and installed the "Videos" app by another member in the market place (can't remember off hand who it was, will post back here when I've had a look). It is absolutely perfect as it uses links rather thaan uploading the videos direct to your server, so saving space and also bandwidth. It accepts links from various different video hsoting sites such as youtube etc. The good thing is, it displays a full size video on your page when the member clicks on the video, so they don't even leave your site. Very easy to install and set up and really does look the business! And the videos automatically have a thumbnail image. It also displays all the videos in a gallery, just like "Gallery". I'd highly recommend it!

Found it. It's by "Mike John". Wonderful app and his support is brilliant!

18 minutes ago, crazzzydave said:

I'm running IPB 4 now, and can't believe just how much better it is compared to IPB3 (which was already better than the other platforms out there!). It's just so slick, and our members are really loving it's useablility now.

I've downloaded and installed the "Videos" app by another member in the market place (can't remember off hand who it was, will post back here when I've had a look). It is absolutely perfect as it uses links rather thaan uploading the videos direct to your server, so saving space and also bandwidth. It accepts links from various different video hsoting sites such as youtube etc. The good thing is, it displays a full size video on your page when the member clicks on the video, so they don't even leave your site. Very easy to install and set up and really does look the business! And the videos automatically have a thumbnail image. It also displays all the videos in a gallery, just like "Gallery". I'd highly recommend it!

Found it. It's by "Mike John". Wonderful app and his support is brilliant!

yeah thats cool app if wanting videos from other sites like youtube etc etc.   I want to master the direct video uploading though.  If Im out on a walk and want to video my dog diving in the river, or my son landing his first parachute jump for example, I don't want to have to put that onto youtube first then upload from there. I want to upload it directly off my iphone ( no third party stuff).  It can already be done but it's all a bit messy   ie doesnt look nice and doesn't even play properly becsue Iphone records vids as mp4 which IPS seem to have a problem with viewing unless we have quicktime installed. ( even then its touch and go )

Yes I  noticed that too, have to have various different players installed and even then, like you say, a hit or miss. I did give it a try but decided against using it so it's not an option in the forum now, just too many things I don't like about it. The other issue I thought may arrise is that unless you're on a dedicated server, if you had a lot of members online and a lot were either uploading or playing videos, then it might slow things right down, so another reason I went for Mikes video app. Youtube, well it just works. Always has done. But can see what you mean about uploading direct for convenience.

• 1 month later...

No problem, I just thought this meant is was planned and it passed the review stage. I'll keep my eye on it.

On 9/3/2015 at 9:03 PM, Lindy said:

We've agreed internally we can (and want to) do it, but we feel plopping it in without doing it properly would lend to a poor experience - so we want to do it the right way and because it would require breaking away from the "image" mode a bit, we want to do enhance video support overall - so we'll likely do it all at once. I wouldn't be comfortable giving you a timeline, but it's not years away or anything.

• Management

I don't feel this will be happening in the next few months and we've not decided how we're going to incorporate it, so it's still up for review. A Gallery sweep will be coming relatively soon, but it is focused on workflow -- better navigation on the frontend, improvements for the upload process and general niggles that drive people crazy. At that point, we can evaluate larger media management tasks like video embedding. 

Thanks for this update Lindy.

Improved, less confusing front-end navigation, improved sort order for album images, and further bulk editing tools when bulk uploading/for existing images would be highly appreciated!

I uploaded 200 images at the weekend and editing descriptions, and captions which added all sorts of weird characters to the already perfectly renamed (example (1).jpg, example (2).jpg) file names did drive me crazy!

It's frustrating we still can't sort images in the correct order without example (10).jpg showing before example (1).jpg, example (2).jpg, example (3).jpg etc or chrological order for things like carnivalesque parades or sequences of images.

• 4 months later...
On 9/2/2015 at 8:03 PM, Lindy said:

I wouldn't be comfortable giving you a timeline, but it's not years away or anything. 

On 5/8/2016 at 8:09 PM, Lindy said:

I don't feel this will be happening in the next few months and we've not decided how we're going to incorporate it, so it's still up for review. 

So, in other words, it will be years (it's actually into it's second year since suggested) before it will be implemented. :poke: 

ralph.gif

I could really use this for a new site I'm going to start as there are a lot of youtube video's out that would be useful and some of the hopeful participants would also link their own (deals with making custom pipes and pipe smoking).

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/3/2015 at 0:51 PM, Lindy said:

The good news is, we have concluded this is a fantastic idea and we would like to pursue it (and more.) The bad news is, after I brought this up internally, the developers had a page of considerations that I hadn't even begun to think of (which is the point of our review procedure) and because Gallery is so very image centric, it would take quite a bit of effort to add this in a way that is both reliable and not confusing. So, we will be looking to do this, video enhancements and more - but I'm afraid it will not make it into IPS4.1. 

A couple of years down the line now. Where did this get to?

Actually I'm not sure what is complicated about it. I've converted from XF and we had a video gallery that operates with video embed.

Your converter has made it work by using a thumbnail image and then including the embed code in the description, so arguably you have a part solution

https://www.nzbees.net/gallery/image/1075-trevs-bees-ventilated-bee-suits-youtube/

All that really needs to be done is creating the thumbnail (or grabbing it from somewhere)

1 hour ago, optrexnz said:

Actually I'm not sure what is complicated about it. I've converted from XF and we had a video gallery that operates with video embed.

Your converter has made it work by using a thumbnail image and then including the embed code in the description, so arguably you have a part solution

https://www.nzbees.net/gallery/image/1075-trevs-bees-ventilated-bee-suits-youtube/

All that really needs to be done is creating the thumbnail (or grabbing it from somewhere)

Nice website.

A gallery solution that encompasses video uploading (and not just video embeds from a third-party site like YouTube) would need to include advanced features like video transcoding, streaming optimization, cross-platform delivery, not to mention ancillary features like security, analytics, and advertising.  There are companies that only do video like Brightcove.  Then there are companies like IPS, which has a very different strength in forums.

• 5 months later...

ffmpeg will auto handle thumbnail of videos. Then there's Handbrake CLI and some others which can handle recording. It should not be difficult to do just to get some autothumbnails AND a "slideshow" of 5 or 6 thumbs on hover over a video. FFmpeg is a very workable solution.

FFmpeg, Yamdi, MP4Box, Handbrake CLI, ImageMagick, Mogrify, Convert -- most of these are avilable on any host, or certainly can be installed on any reasonable host.

Archived