Video Embeds to Gallery

Gimpymoo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed! At the moment your best option is to buy Devfuse's really good Videos System.

http://www.devfuse.com/products/60-videos/

also here in the Marketplace:

According to the Feature Plan, it will be a by product of improved Storage Partners facility but you would parable have to pay for such storage. I simply can't understand why linking to externally hosted images like on Flickr and Videos on YouTube, Vimeo isn't included in the Gallery as standard.

Also, as an added bonus, some other providers offer additional features like video hosting and even encoding services. Imagine our Gallery app connected to a system that can encode

According to the Feature Plan, it will be a by product of improved Storage Partners facility but you would parable have to pay for such storage. I simply can't understand why linking to externally hosted images like on Flickr and Videos on YouTube, Vimeo isn't included in the Gallery as standard.

​I cannot understand either and the silence is what makes this more awkward when trying to plan where to go.

Definitely need this, I've been peeping XF's Gallery which does this and is very slick. I'd rather go IPS but I don't like mods for such content-heavy functions, if a mod ever goes unsupported or stops working we basically lose that content and have to start fresh. The Gallery should do this, it's a basic function. Gallery does not imply "hosted" it's simply a place to view images and videos.

It would be nice to hear from IPS, so we know what to expect. 

I wonder if @Charles could shed any light on this?

I also have been peeping at XF's gallery, shows much promise.

In a world where companies are tripping over themselves to provide free storage for content, to not allow embeds in a media gallery is a confusing decision and just burdens admins with higher costs for no valid reason.

This is even more frustrating for myself as a cloud customer as there is a 20MB file size limit which makes a "Media" gallery suitable in the whole for just photos.

I've seen that app, it's very cool, my issue with 3rd party apps is I don't like them handling major content. If the app goes unsupported, poof, you can lose years of content. Content that could be in Gallery.

It's a very nice app but I'm hoping they add embeds to Gallery. Enough people have raised the concern and they have been adding a lot lately. Fingers crossed. ;)

I'm curious what the reason is why it isn't included. 

It's one of those things that seems 'simple' to us (you can embed in posts, articles ect...)  

Is there a reason it's not part of the gallery? 

Part of something coming later on? Someone suggested it might be part of the storage solution in the Feature Plan, but that isn't clear. 

• 1 month later...

I've added it to our internal system for further review. 

Awesome. On my site I'd like to allow gallery videos but I do not have the resources or desire to locally host and manage huge videos files. Allowing external videos in the gallery would make it a far better system :)

I'd consider this reasonably high priority for my site and many others!

I've added it to our internal system for further review. 

Great!

That's one big complaint I have of IPS's gallery.  I have XenForo's gallery on one of my other sites and I MUCH prefer the ability for the users to link to YouTube for their video's of their motorcycle rides (some of the ones I have are in excess of 400MB in size).  That way I don't have to worry about the storage capacity of my server being overloaded.  I've got a category called "Ride Videos" and they can only be linked media that is supported by the internal media BBcode.

I really hope to see this done - it's looks like it may have been a simple oversight with the concentration on locally hosted items.

Just a few suggestions if this is considered, I do like this idea btw- personally,

• Ability to both upload a video thumbnail or be able to retrieve the YouTube video screen automatically
  • A Packaged video carousal block like the image block
  • A packaged standard Gallery block that pulls the video screens or thumbnails for front end block use.

• Management

The good news is, we have concluded this is a fantastic idea and we would like to pursue it (and more.) The bad news is, after I brought this up internally, the developers had a page of considerations that I hadn't even begun to think of (which is the point of our review procedure) and because Gallery is so very image centric, it would take quite a bit of effort to add this in a way that is both reliable and not confusing. So, we will be looking to do this, video enhancements and more - but I'm afraid it will not make it into IPS4.1. 

Archived