Feeds

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Marcher Technologies Trying to see if this will indeed suit my needs. I want to be able to import a RSS feed and have it post the articles from that feed as individual topics in a specific forum by a specific user account. Then I want the content posted to be truncated to just a few characters, specifically the title of the article, and have a link to view the full article on the author's website. Trying to avoid scraping articles from their sites. I have quite a few feeds we would like to add this way and Invision's builtin no longer allows truncating.

On 2/11/2016 at 0:23 PM, BRK Greg said:

@Marcher Technologies Trying to see if this will indeed suit my needs. I want to be able to import a RSS feed and have it post the articles from that feed as individual topics in a specific forum by a specific user account. Then I want the content posted to be truncated to just a few characters, specifically the title of the article, and have a link to view the full article on the author's website. Trying to avoid scraping articles from their sites. I have quite a few feeds we would like to add this way and Invision's builtin no longer allows truncating.

Hello, Unfortunately, this modification does not support truncating(or even altering really) the content provided by the rss feed. There is no good way to do so in frank honesty, you either strip html and thus lose formatting or end up producing broken html.

6 hours ago, Yurri said:

Hello Robert.

Ask for enhanced capabilities for the next version.
Please, add a description and the ability to embed the image into the this field on the index page of the Feeds app.

feeds.JPG

Hello Yurri. Yes, I had been debating whether to provide a translatable editor or just caching and using the actual feed description. After consideration, I'll be going with the former in the next release, it allows better consistency considering the other titles and descriptions are translatable.

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Yurri said:

Hello Robert.

Ask for more enhanced capabilities for the next version. If it possible, Sir)

Pagination support for feeds pages, or truncate feature.

Here

I had considered pagination several times in 3.x, but at the time it was tantamount to loading the entire xml into memory to show x items. I had also considered truncation, but again, at the time, it was an unideal method due to HTML being stripped to avoid HTML breaking.

4 is much smarter in regards to such, and yes, I will be adding both next version - thank you for calling attention to this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2016 at 7:23 AM, Yurri said:

Hello Robert.

Ask for enhanced capabilities for the next version.
Please, add a description and the ability to embed the image into the this field on the index page of the Feeds app.

feeds.JPG

On 3/12/2016 at 10:22 AM, Yurri said:

Hello Robert.

Ask for more enhanced capabilities for the next version. If it possible, Sir)

Pagination support for feeds pages, or truncate feature.

Here

Just letting you know I just put the update including these features up.

On 4/7/2016 at 8:31 PM, misfit76 said:

Getting this error tryingt o upgrade from version for IPB 3.4 to the new version

Sorry, you do not have permission for that! 

1S111/1 Key column 'id' doesn't exist in table

Screenshot 2016-04-06 19.29.12.png

This has been fixed as well, but I already got with you on that. ^_^

Hi there.  Just bought this.  I'm using 4.1.10.

When I import a feed and set it to post to a forum I get the following error:

3RSS002/2 array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given

I also noticed when I go back to look at the issue, authentication has been turned on even though I had selected it off.

The feed url in use is: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/.rss

It works under the normal RSS system on IPS

Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, pilotguy said:

Hi there.  Just bought this.  I'm using 4.1.10.

When I import a feed and set it to post to a forum I get the following error:

3RSS002/2 array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given

I also noticed when I go back to look at the issue, authentication has been turned on even though I had selected it off.

The feed url in use is: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/.rss

It works under the normal RSS system on IPS

Any ideas?

Could you send me a PM with access details? None of my code is calling that function, so something I'm using must be, so I'll need a stack trace.

• 2 weeks later...

@Marcher Technologies,

Does the new version pull the entire RSS into the database?

Also, does it, or will it have the ability to fetch an image item from the feed and place it into the database field for the images? Just curious if these will be features available. My current site uses a RSS import that fetches the first image in the feed and sets it as the "featured image". 

28 minutes ago, joshuaj said:

Does the new version pull the entire RSS into the database?

Yes. The changes were merely to paginate and truncate the display of the feeds list.

28 minutes ago, joshuaj said:

Also, does it, or will it have the ability to fetch an image item from the feed and place it into the database field for the images? Just curious if these will be features available. My current site uses a RSS import that fetches the first image in the feed and sets it as the "featured image". 

This is indeed something I am looking at doing, but is not present at this time.

55 minutes ago, Marcher Technologies said:

This is indeed something I am looking at doing, but is not present at this time.

Great! I'm looking forward to seeing it. I'd also suggest having a "Default Image" option in case it doesn't have an image to fetch. Just an idea. It works well on my current site where I have a default image with a neutral background color and my site logo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived