Pages: "index.php" - bring back Subdomain Support!

IPBSupport.de

Since years, we could use the special "index.php" with IP.Content (Now Pages) to use the "Pages" e.g. on www.domain.tld and the forum/community on community.domain.tld - as the IPS team provides this opportunity since years on the support forums (e.g. here and here and a lot of places more) i think this is not a "hidden" feature and was not planned to be supported in the past (i started a ticket and this is the answer i read out of the replys).

At this moment, we can not use the current index.php on a subdomain. IPS4 detects if the installation is done in the main/root folder or not. If you installed the community e.g. on community.domain.tld you can not activate the gateway setting in the acp (Pages -> Advanced Settings) because of the automatic detection ("Your IPS 4 suite is already installed at the root of your domain.").

There are still support topics about this problem:

So i hope there is a quick fix so we can still use the new index.php on a different Subdomain as the community. This still works fine (we could specify a path to the IPS4 install) but we can not activate the setting in the ACP (because the trouble i declared above). I think a "advanced setting" should give us the "power setting" to deactivate the autodetection so we still can use the index.php in a different subdomain as the IPS4 suite.

Since years, we could use the special "index.php" with IP.Content (Now Pages) to use the "Pages" e.g. on www.domain.tld and the forum/community on community.domain.tld - as the IPS team provides this opportunity since years on the support forums (e.g. here and here and a lot of places more) i think this is not a "hidden" feature and was not planned to be supported in the past (i started a ticket and this is the answer i read out of the replys).

At this moment, we can not use the current index.php on a subdomain. IPS4 detects if the installation is done in the main/root folder or not. If you installed the community e.g. on community.domain.tld you can not activate the gateway setting in the acp (Pages -> Advanced Settings) because of the automatic detection ("Your IPS 4 suite is already installed at the root of your domain.").

There are still support topics about this problem:

So i hope there is a quick fix so we can still use the new index.php on a different Subdomain as the community. This still works fine (we could specify a path to the IPS4 install) but we can not activate the setting in the ACP (because the trouble i declared above). I think a "advanced setting" should give us the "power setting" to deactivate the autodetection so we still can use the index.php in a different subdomain as the IPS4 suite.

​Was under the impression this had been resolved here ... or hasn't it ???

If doesn't work then yes we definitely need this fixed urgently

Have not tested if works or not

I also preferred this approach and expected that you'd be able to access a module/app from any subdomain simply by putting in an index.php which would do no more than pull information from the database and display it in the location of the index. Apparently the design is subdirectory only. Also wonder about what it means regarding other design dependencies even if a hack could technically get it to work.

• 4 weeks later...

Am confused now as basically reply from support states:

we have never officially supported any sub domain however, and still do not.

So what was the index.php file that came with IPB 3 so as to use content in root 

Think will just give up and not renew licences when due as can only use IPB 3.4.8 and no further then  

Am confused now as basically reply from support states:

So what was the index.php file that came with IPB 3 so as to use content in root 

Think will just give up and not renew licences when due as can only use IPB 3.4.8 and no further then  

I am thinking the same too. 

They have are quite poor in support. Not only in this case. 

we have never officially supported any sub domain however, and still do not.

You said it yourself: “root”, which means another “folder”, not “domain”. 

You said it yourself: “root”, which means another “folder”, not “domain”. 

​True - but I think you could also put the index.php file on a subdomain, thus keeping your root directory clean to install another script there. You get the same situation as here - you have community . site . com running the forum in the root but you cannot put Pages / Home page at www . site . com.  

I'm one of the people who have been mentioning subdomain usage for modules for a very long time, including the ability to separate apps from the forum module. Let's say you've got your forum at forum . site . com -- I'm not really sure how you'd be able to manage putting Pages in the root while you could do so if you put IP.Content / IP.C 3 in the root directory and have satisfied both issues. Not sure what can be done at this late date, will await to hear.

Yes, the support always reply this in tickets, but i'm not at the same opinion.

There are a lot of (support) topics on the board where @bfarber (e.g. here) and other IPS Team members told the customers/presales questions that this is a option (subdomain support).

At this stage, a lot of customers use this feature and now this does not work anymore.

The support told me that this posts are x years old. Yes, but i don't think this is a good way to answer a ticket and justify the missing feature which works years ago.

• 2 months later...

Archived