Commerce/Downloads How to?

DesignzShop

Kinda confused here and it seems this should be straight forward but ehhh :)

Pretty simple here. I want to sell a theme and I have downloads and commerce.

I would like to use commerce so I can move the user into a new group after purchase. I can't see a way to move a user to a new group after purchase buy just using downloads unless I'm missing something. Well, I'm missing a lot. Arrrrg, I can't believe we have no documentation..

Better yet, how do I do this like IPB does it? Thee customer makes a purchase through the store and the product ends up in their client area. Of course any help here appreciated

Thank you

So we make a product in Nexus - description and all and do the same for downloads for the same file and associate them? Still kinda confused here. Thank you IN10TION

I created all my products, screen shots, descriptions and all in downloads. Was that wrong? Should I have done this in Commerce?

Where would the end user purchase from, downloads or store? Do I need to hide the downloads app?

You can hide the Store .. like they do here at IPS ..

And everything that is more important in your Downloads you can associate with a Store product .. you don't need any picture or price (zero) setup, etc in Store products, just what you need to push your users to the next level or if you associate with a product then you can associate also with Support .. then your Support emails/messages in ACP will see the association of that product .. bit of a info maze here  :)  .. also if you associate your product with support in the front end the user will see a separate support button for that product ..  

Thanks again IN10TION 

It seems now (4.0) in downloads you're not given the option to put a price in when you associate a product from the store. The store doesn't allow you to associate to downloads, only the opposite. If you chose to take the link out of navigation it only removes it from the tabs, not truly navigation. That unfortunately means the end-user can end up in the store and that means you have to duplicate all the product information to an extent over to the store or everything will look blank and empty. They certainly made it so the store handles price and all details instead of downloads which makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the duplication of information or the store showing in navigation. 2 Major drawbacks as far as I can tell when using downloads. We just don't need what's really 2 stores in use at once imo.

Also I noticed when the end user is taken to the store/cart there's a place for images and more information. A task that shouldn't be. Again, already done once. The least IPB could do here is if we associate these products to associate the information if that's possible. Sync content and images. Wish list :D

In all honesty the Store should have the capabilities to do all of this without downloads. Redundant using 2 applications to do the job of 1.

Kind Regards

Never mind, IPB does not use the store with their downloads. They use downloads straight. So after someone makes a purchase using straight downloads they can not be moved into a new user group, they would need to be already in that group. So basically downloads can not move a user into a new group by itself. 

There's a reason IPB doesn't use the store with their downloads product. They don't want to remake everything in the store 2 times either. Difference here is original purchase. It's impossible to do this the way ipb does and have a user moved into a new group just using downloads. IPB sells us one thing and delivers another. What imaginary product does my customers need to buy from the store to be moved into a new group before buying something in downloads.. LOL.. This is such a mess when all it would take is for someone to add "move into user group after purchase" in downloads.

You're already a client here and made a purchase when using downloads here at IPB, that's why they don't need to run you through the store. Very mis-leading on IPB's part imo and again, having 2 stores running to do one thing is just plain ignorant and confusing to customers

Archived