Theme updates (code changes)

ehren.

Are you planning on releasing reports which outline what code has been changed in themes when new versions are released? It's understandable that they weren't released for beta's and RC's, however they're pretty vital now that we've reached final, and there has never been a proper answer despite being asked a few times.

There were code changes between 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 which weren't announced and had to be found manually.. I'm sure a "difference report" like those available in 3.x would be greatly appreciated by many theme designers like myself..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.0.2 was released 2 days ago and there are still no announcements on theme updates. I feel like this is something that needs to be addressed asap. We're not in beta anymore - these are "fully supported releases" according to the release notes, yet there hasn't been any documentation or replies from staff regarding theme updates. Version 4.0.3 is currently in development and this is something which needs to be included with the next release notes, it's not something that can be added down the track.

This is not only vital for myself, but for all serious designers. We can't release themes for 4.x if they already contain outdated code.. @Tom Christian, @Pete T, @IBTheme, @steve00, @Sinistra

there is a page with versions of ips product that integrate some info such as:

1. difference template

2. list of bug solved on tracker

3. date of release

4. whatever you have planned

5. other useful thing to help developing (tot/last commits,...)

there is a page with versions of ips product that integrate some info such as:

1. difference template

2. list of bug solved on tracker

3. date of release

4. whatever you have planned

5. other useful thing to help developing (tot/last commits,...)

​Please link me if 'difference reports' already exist. I'm aware of the Documentation, Bug Tracker, Release Notes and Feature Plan - but I'm not aware of any areas with difference reports for themes.

I'm still working on RC7 due to this.

It is possible to manually generate our own difference reports using version control. However, there's currently a horrible issue whereby enabling / disabling designers mode will change the date modified of every single file therefore rendering version control useless along with the ability to generate our own reports.

@Charles - Is it possible to get some official confirmation on whether IPS intends on doing anything regarding this?

I think it was back on Beta 5 I was designing a theme that when I upgraded to beta 6 some IDs and Classes had changed. so I had to go find out what got changed I think this would be good to know. to keep us from having to take time from finding what has been changed a release note of what has been changed would help us in the long run. Even putting CSS in the custom area to keep our custom stuff from being overwritten dose not help when a class or ID is changed. 

4.0.2 was released 2 days ago and there are still no announcements on theme updates. I feel like this is something that needs to be addressed asap. We're not in beta anymore - these are "fully supported releases" according to the release notes, yet there hasn't been any documentation or replies from staff regarding theme updates. Version 4.0.3 is currently in development and this is something which needs to be included with the next release notes, it's not something that can be added down the track.

This is not only vital for myself, but for all serious designers. We can't release themes for 4.x if they already contain outdated code.. @Tom Christian, @Pete T, @IBTheme, @steve00, @Sinistra

@ehren. It has not been publicly announcement yet as is in delta release. I would chill out as they are working on bug fixes before it it main line release. So chillax a bit and wait.

@ehren. It has not been publicly announcement yet as is in delta release. I would chill out as they are working on bug fixes before it it main line release. So chillax a bit and wait.

​That's irrelevant. 4.0 is readily available to the public which means we are already under huge pressure to release our themes. I receive several e-mails a day regarding this. In fact, I've had people that are angry with me that my themes aren't available yet (which of course is completely insane).

Waiting for bugs to be fixed before worrying about the re-implementation of a completely missing key feature of the 3x series is not practical for me whatsoever. I'm not even sure how we've got this far without this feature being added back. I'm sure @ehren. even reminded IPS all the way back during the BETAs.

​If I didn't have thousands of my own customers to cater for, I'd be happy to chillax - however I always aim to provide fast support and upgrades for my paying customers, and this is one of the main hurdles preventing me from doing that. This feature is needed sooner rather than later, hence the reason for this feedback topic. :)

​If I didn't have thousands of my own customers to cater for, I'd be happy to chillax - however I always aim to provide fast support and upgrades for my paying customers, and this is one of the main hurdles preventing me from doing that. This feature is needed sooner rather than later, hence the reason for this feedback topic. :)

​I would have to agree I get a few PMs aday asking when I am going to release my themes and I tell them I am working on it I don't like telling people to wait ether but it has come to that with this. I was able to release my footer block before final which in all accounts was a good move but I am still workiong on things for that pulgin that have template elements that I want to bring in like background images and allowing them to change colors via the settings but can't do this without a full outline of how to write settings and CSS edits that work we can't complete our designs. 

(which of course is completely insane).

​I've been through over ten years of IPB/IPS upgrades and it still astounds me how people could imagine custom skins would be upgraded in time for the initial release.

Even more so when for the most part upgrades have mainly been free.

"Hey! I gave you 15 dollars three years ago. Where's my new skin? 4.0 has been released for 6 days now!"

​I've been through over ten years of IPB/IPS upgrades and it still astounds me how people could imagine custom skins would be upgraded in time for the initial release.

Even more so when for the most part upgrades have mainly been free.

"Hey! I gave you 15 dollars three years ago. Where's my new skin? 4.0 has been released for 6 days now!"

I remember when IPS was free and no I have never gotten any of my custom work out on or before release. I don't think that is what we are talking about here if you spent hours of work on a theme just to have some small element changed that can throw development back a few hours if not days. Unlike some people I don't have a job. I goto school but do you think I have the time to go "Ooops! IPS changed the code again I guess I will have to spend hours looking for the change" Honesty I could if I didn't have reports and homework to do but I don't 

This isn't about getting skins out on time it's about the work we put in and we get an upgrade and something has changed and nothing is said. this doesn't only hurt Skinners but developers as well for any template related hook or plugin

Despite other show-stopping bugs with the theme system which are preventing my themes from being released, I still have my fingers crossed that we'll at least be notified of changes for 4.0.3 which is due for release in a couple of days. Can one staff member please just clarify what steps are being made to help designers with upgrades? While I'm sure this topic has been seen by staff, it has seemingly gone without assistance.

4.0.3 and 4.0.4 have been released, both without theme documentation. I'm not normally one who keeps bumping topics, but since we're still no closer to receiving a response from staff, I almost have no choice at the moment. We're now 5 versions into a supported release, and while I'm sure this topic has been seen by the developers, a lack of a reply is becoming quite disappointing to be honest.

Those who know me, know I am a very vocal supporter of IPS but this course of action is a bit bewildering. I know I am not the only individual who is eagerly awaiting IPB4 on our live site but it is unfortunate that we don't really have any premium themes to choose from. It seems the designers are wanting to release their products but they are lost about any changes/what changes and it leaves us customers in limbo.

I am just a bit surprised that not only is there a lack of response here but also that we're already at 4.0.4 and there is still no official gold launch. I just hate to see IPS indirectly killing their own momentum before it has a chance to take off.

Archived