Tagging settings per-forum instead of global

Vikestart

• Why isn't tagging mode a per-forum setting? In fact, all of the tag settings should be customisable per-forum. For some forums, you might want to enforce specific tags, while in other forums you'd like your members to be able to make their own tags, also with varying minimums and maximums, etc.
  • Also, a per-forum setting to require a prefix would be great. :)

Would these happen to be part of the tagging improvements I've heard rumours of?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. It's a global setting to not only forums, to all of content. 

Not flexible at all! Set it to pre-defined closed tags, and 1 maximum 1 minimum and it's for the entire site, all of content. At the forum level all you can do is customize the actual tag titles.

So nowhere else on the forum or site can you have open tags, or multiple tags even!

They need to move this to each forum and content type.

Also yes, mandatory prefix is a needed setting as well. 

• Why isn't tagging mode a per-forum setting? In fact, all of the tag settings should be customisable per-forum. For some forums, you might want to enforce specific tags, while in other forums you'd like your members to be able to make their own tags, also with varying minimums and maximums, etc.
  • Also, a per-forum setting to require a prefix would be great. :)

Would these happen to be part of the tagging improvements I've heard rumours of?

​.

I dunno but did I miss something ? :)   ..

This is per forum under posting settings .  you have your defaults yes .. but then also you can use a custom tag list per forum ..

Sure it's not much of a members tag freedom .. but would you really allow members fill in their own tags? 

Your forum will look like " taggesitus " (don't Google this one) in no time  .  full of tag spots  ..

2015-05-05_13-34-19.thumb.png.bac9182263

My problem with the current system is that you can define tags only for forums and not for other applications.
I need specific tags for downloads, gallery and pages and with the current system you can not define specific tags for those areas.

EDIT: Forget it. I just saw that you can have specific tags in those areas, at least in dowwnloads and gallery. :)

​.

This is per forum under posting settings .  you have your defaults yes .. but then also you can use a custom tag list per forum ..

Sure it's not much of a members tag freedom .. but would you really allow members fill in their own tags? 

Your forum will look like " taggesitus " (don't Google this one) in no time  .  full of tag spots  ..

​No, I knew about this, but that isn't enough.

You should be able to choose minimum tags, maximum tags and whether to have a closed or open system for every individual forum.

​.

Yes you are missing a few things.

Say I set the tag system to closed, with 1 minimum and 1 maximum tag, which means users have to enter a tag and they can only enter one. This is good for my forums or apps that have For Sale, Wanted, Trade tags. I want them to pick one. This is a global setting! So now everywhere on my site and in every forum, users can only enter ONE pre-defined tag. Yes I can change the tag TITLES but not the minimum or maximum, or open/closed system. So if I have forums or apps where I want them to be able to add 5, nope. Only 1. Global setting.

Vice versa applies. If I set 5 maximum then I can't do forums or apps where they can only enter 1.

Also if I set the minimum to 1 that is GLOBAL. I don't want to force tags in all forums and apps.

If I have forums or apps where I want them to be able to add their own, nope. Closed system is global. Meaning open is global too. Have to choose one!

Nothing is flexible except the tag title.

• Would these happen to be part of the tagging improvements I've heard rumours of?

​You mean Content Highlights? That says it is a tag-like system separate from tags so I don't think so.

Could IPS comment? This tag setup is really hindering! Thanks!

Go to the System settings and Posting. The global settings for tags are there. That's one of the issues. ;)

​Oh, yeah, that is basically useless.  This needs to be non-global, it has to be on each individual forum area. 

Hopefully they can address it soon otherwise I will keep tags off. I have areas I have "1" pre-defined needed, and other areas where I want to permit more, as well as areas for open tags. Honestly I can't believe this is a global setting. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Failing ip.board incorporating this, we could go the custom plugin route.  I am willing to pay a bit for this functionality and it doesn't seem to be a huge involvement of time to create it.

​Have you considered Advanced Tags & Prefixes?  It may not suit all of your needs, but it's a step more than what IPB's core has to offer.  It's soon available for IPB 4x.

Still have to see if it comes out for 4.0 and if it provides the granularity I need. 

​I finished it yesterday, it should be available within two weeks--just waiting on some testing. Feature set is exactly the same as it was for 3.x. You can override tag mode on a per-forum basis.

• 2 months later...

Archived