Hashtaging

Sinistra

I have been thinking about this for quite some time and I thought it would be a good improvment on the tagging system. When using a #hashtag it would link to other tags that have been posted through the community. so say I put #anime or #Anime it would link to all the topics, articles, gallery images, downloads, and blog entries that contain the tag Anime or anime. This would also be a way of tagging content as well. So say I do a post and I create a hashtag #tIPS4Forever and other people use this hashtag it would pull up all the topics articles etc. linked with that tag. 

if someone put a custom tag on ALL their submissions, when you hit the tag it would show them all right away. 

​But that is what the existing tag function is for and delivers already.

The only real point of a hashtag function is that it is mixed in with the content itself, which is useful for really brief comments (Twitter, Instagram comments and so on), but can get annoying quickly in forum posts, articles and so on. 

I agree with Ralf.  I was reading through this topic and thinking, hmm, this is very similar to tags!

With that said though, I think there are some key differences as well:

Tags are only defined upon initial content creation.  Meaning, other users can't add tags to the unfolding conversation, which I've always found to be a major shortcoming. 

Hashtagging is inlineinline, and flows with the conversation.  Tags are an independent identifier to the conversation.  Not sure this even matters though. 

Tags can be predefined.  Free form hashtagging / tagging could be a total mess, which is why I've always supported a Master Tag management tool in the ACP to batch edit tags.  

I personally think the current tag system in IPS can mature quite a lot, but they're a suitable replacement for tags. 

#IAteChickenForBreakfastAndItWasGreat #GoGetSome #Now #Also #ILoveHashtags #JustCuz #MakingWholePostsInHashTags #yeah #addicted #forl1fe

I don't envision this being a useful way of finding related information for forums, and I believe you will certainly end up with a huge amount of useless tags simply because many people use them for the fad factor and not because they want to link other useful information.

Sure, if you have an open tagging system you can have a similar problem, however the current tag system encourages useful tags..

tagging or hash tagging is best served when its community driven - where others can easily assign on the fly a tag that best describes the thread. sometimes the original poster has no idea what they are posting about - especially on technical sites vs social based sites. 

• Management

Personally speaking, hashtags may be one of the worst things that ever happened to the Internet. I would be shocked if 1 out of 200 people know how to use them properly/constructively. 

That said, we have some pretty significant tagging improvements planned. Hashtags, if I can help it, will certainly not be a part of it. :lol:

Personally speaking, hashtags may be one of the worst things that ever happened to the Internet.

​You know those people who say "hashtag whatever" in real life?

Yeah.

Also it seems like every company that launches a new product has to try and cram their hashtag down your throat with every ad and commercial.

Hashtags are everywhere. They're a cancer that started on one sub-section of the internet and have grown to infect society as a whole. >_<

Personally speaking, hashtags may be one of the worst things that ever happened to the Internet. I would be shocked if 1 out of 200 people know how to use them properly/constructively. 

That said, we have some pretty significant tagging improvements planned. Hashtags, if I can help it, will certainly not be a part of it. :lol:

​You're being #ridiculous. Hasthagging is great even though it creates #wordsthatcan'tbesearchedproperly, entries where people don't know #whattotag, or #how #to #tag. To me, #hashtagging reminds me of a word that everyone knows, at least in New York.

#fughetaboutit

#Fahgettaboudit

• 8 months later...
On 18 April 2015 at 6:31 AM, Lindy said:

That's a very close-minded view from IPS, if you ask me. Hashtagging is all over social media for good reason: it's easy to use and its universally understood by users. There is no simpler way to aggregate content than by hashtagging it. Mature communities will soon make it clear to users when they are over using them in posts (or perhaps it could be restricted to certain user groups or by number allowed). 

I'd like to see it as a feature of IPS. 

• Management

I said personally speaking, not IPS speaking - I have my own opinions. :) I don't find hashtags useful in any context on any medium personally. It's the most misused Internet feature ever, to the point it's virtually useless. #seewhatimean 

There are better ways to handle tagging and we have many ideas. 

On 4/18/2015 at 5:18 PM, Joel R said:

Tags are only defined upon initial content creation.  Meaning, other users can't add tags to the unfolding conversation, which I've always found to be a major shortcoming. 

I am still holding out high hopes that @Donkerrood will soon update Simple Tag Management for 4.x as I really want to assign a "back tagging" team of trusted users to add useful tags to existing content and fix misused tags-as-topic-descriptions. 

Great news :thumbsup:  If dropping a release now interrupts your workflow I'll happily wait knowing it's coming.  Very happy.

If it's not a hassle, sure, I'm also happy to use an interim version. But again, I can be patient now that I know it's on the radar for sure :)  

I will be the person to say I like this especially if it only loads tags in the database similar to the way that finding a member does. I know for me it could work out very well in statuses to do #spotlightchallenge and it loads a link to the tags that have spotlightchallenge associated with it.

It may not be good for overall use but I would love to hastag in certain things.

That being said (I haven't tried it) but you used to be able to change words to links using the profanity filter so if you are looking for specific replacements it may still work?

• 1 month later...

I think the hashtag could improve the tags system, for example to search what hashtag is popular (help authors to choise tag when open system) but also to make like WIKI related content (#2016 #bestofmounth...).

the hashtag could link only to search (by term/s on content items) without log into a "sub-tags" list where any user could filled.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Lindy, hashtags are rarely used as originally intended.

#lindydrivesadodge

I don't want them linked to anything on my site, then you mix functional and funny tags not intended for linking. But I don't mind them as they are currently used, I do it myself.

#noidont

It's great tags will see improvements, that's where the functionality should lie. The only way hashtags could possibly work imo is if they only worked with the closed tag system. So you could say "Check out the #Planned results in the feedback section." Click, does a tag search. Hmmm.

Archived