IPContent as root homepage in 4.0

DesignzShop

… or I lose all my links in google etc if I put my forum in site root instead of forum folder

Why? The idea is that you by moving your forum out of the subfolder into the root, you keep the old structure. Your subfolder will then just be a virtual folder, which any app other than the default app has.  

Just a thought  ... as IPS apps are all separate now can we not install IP.Pages in site root and forum in forum folder and still pull content from forum, blogs, gallery etc into Pages or can it not be done this way ?

​Like I just said: That is how the suite now basically works out of the box. You choose on default app which runs as your site’ root and each app gets an URL slug (forums / gallery / calendar). That makes sense. It was the old system that couldn’t do that well and putting your IP.Content front page in a parent folder was a work-around for this. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I've just done, for the fun of it:

1. Installed 4.0.0 on localhost, into folder called 'test' - all working fine at http://localhost/test/index.php
  2. Copied the index.php from 'test' and placed it in the root of localhost
  3. Edit the file and change 'init.php' to 'test/init.php' and save.
  4. Now got my site running at both http://localhost/test/index.php and http://localhost/index.php
  5. Set Pages as the default application.
  6. Result: http://localhost/index.php will show Pages homepage, as will http://localhost/test/index.php.

So if you do want to keep your install in 'test' (or whatever sub-folder from root) then it is achievable with that simple step 2 & 3 above....but there is a trade-off in that you won't be able to have Pages as the default on the root location, with Forums as the default on the 'test' location.

Why? The idea is that you by moving your forum out of the subfolder into the root, you keep the old structure. Your subfolder will then just be a virtual folder, which any app other than the default app has.  

​Like I just said: That is how the suite now basically works out of the box. You choose on default app which runs as your site’ root and each app gets an URL slug (forums / gallery / calendar). That makes sense. It was the old system that couldn’t do that well and putting your IP.Content front page in a parent folder was a work-around for this. 

​So how does it work then if using  forum.site_url for forum (e.g. sub domain) all url's will be set for that

Sorry just am confused how this is all going to work

If I install whole suite in site root and set Pages as default app you are saying that all current posts/topics/images/blogs etc will all still be there and still references by the old url (forum would be subdomain) which is showing in google search engine ?

I understand all the options in 3.4 and in 4.0, but without any documentation I don’t know how all the different scenarios can be handled. Some might work automatically, some might require manual changes, for some there might not be a proper upgrade path at all. Only IPS knows or someone needs to try it all out. 

I understand all the options in 3.4 and in 4.0, but without any documentation I don’t know how all the different scenarios can be handled. Some might work automatically, some might require manual changes, for some there might not be a proper upgrade path at all. Only IPS knows or someone needs to try it all out. 

​ok, I have 3.4.7 in sub folder of forum (e.g. site_url/forum)

I then uploaded ips 4 into root (site_url) and set Pages to be main app

cannot run install as tells me database already in use (which it is ... for 3.4.7) but I need to use it otherwise be a blank database with nothing in it (posts, topics, members etc)

So I try to run admin/upgrade ... cannot do that either as get 500 error (likely because am running upgrade from root instead of forum sub folder)

So it appears cannot do it that way by having Pages in root

Need IPS to make some post or instructions somewhere on how to do this which thought would have been one of the first things for them to put out as we are on final now and not RC ?

I would suggest to treat the upgrade and the folder move as separate steps. Make your upgrade in the /forums folder (or whatever you use) and only after everything is working there, try to move the site by moving all files and changing the path settings. 

​Cannot see that working as then the 'google' links will go to wrong url if move forum to site root ... unless am wrong ?

Looks like have to wait for IPS to tell us how to do it so cannot update my live site until I know (that is assuming it can be done with no hassle) ?

​Cannot see that working as then the 'google' links will go to wrong url if move forum to site root ...

Which ones?

IP.Content was in the root, and it will still be in the root. 
The forum was in the physical folder “/forum" (for example) before. After you move the site up to the root, the forum will again appear under /forum, because 4.0 assigns that URL slug to the forum app, when FURLs are activated and the forum is not the default app. 

The forum was in the physical folder “/forum" (for example) before. After you move the site up to the root, the forum will again appear under /forum, because 4.0 assigns that URL slug to the forum app, when FURLs are activated and the forum is not the default app. 

​When using IP.Pages as the default application in the root, do you know whether it is possible to change the 4.0 URL slug for the forum app from /forum to say, for example, /community in order to avoid the sitename/forum/forum... issue? (ie sitename/community/forum/...).

​When using IP.Pages as the default application in the root, do you know whether it is possible to change the 4.0 URL slug for the forum app from /forum to say, for example, /community in order to avoid the sitename/forum/forum... issue? (ie sitename/community/forum/...).

​Sure, that’s available in the Advanced Configuration:

Screen_Shot_2015-04-12_at_14.26.50.thumb

Which ones?

IP.Content was in the root, and it will still be in the root. 

​Just upgraded 3.4.7 to 4 and no option to select which application to use before it starts to upgrade

Starting upgrade and now keep continually getting same error message

Table 'forum347.core_search_index' doesn't exist
D:\xampp\htdocs\forum347\forum\system\Content\Search\Mysql\Index.php::155

TRUNCATE `core_search_index`

Have posted about it in bug tracker as cannot go any further 

​If you're installing into root you wont have the issue of seeing forum 2 times. The reason is because you have not installed into a folder named "forum" so that second forum gets eliminated :)

No reason to change anything now? Good luck

When installed at root you also have to becareful about adding any folders into root that are reserved names for friendly urls ... i created a folder called "files" and put somethings in there but then it broke downloads. Renaming it to something else resolved it. So if you have third party products, its something you need to keep in mind. 

​If you're installing into root you wont have the issue of seeing forum 2 times. The reason is because you have not installed into a folder named "forum" so that second forum gets eliminated :)

No reason to change anything now? Good luck

​I think you will. Apologies to Ralf H for using his site as an example:

http://typography.guru/forums/forum/2-talk/

Maybe a staff member can clarify?  As @IN10TION and myself stated above, the stars next to the app should suffice, unless there is something more I am missing, or there is a bug.  A site I help out on updated their live site to RC6 and then have since upgraded to the latest releases.  However, on its first upgrade, the Forums were the main application.

We in turn went to the ACP and set Pages as the default app just like shown in @IN10TION's screenshot and it has worked perfectly.  No file edits, no folder edits/placements, just simply clicked the star.

I know on 3.x series it was a lot more in-depth with configs, constants, folder placements ect.  IP4 has gotten rid of that mess.  Either way let us know what you end up doing on your end to get it accomplished!

When installed at root you also have to becareful about adding any folders into root that are reserved names for friendly urls ... i created a folder called "files" and put somethings in there but then it broke downloads. Renaming it to something else resolved it. So if you have third party products, its something you need to keep in mind. 

​Found this out the hard way as well!

There is a "new" index Script for this from IPS (see attachment).

pages_index.php

​That is not even remotely the same thing...... all the url's point towards the Pages app suite installation. All that is truly doing is producing duplicate content for google to be upset over, not actually having the application run from root. SEO-wise it would be less damaging to just move the suite to root than to use this as it is.

​That is not even remotely the same thing...... all the url's point towards the Pages app suite installation. All that is truly doing is producing duplicate content for google to be upset over, not actually having the application run from root. SEO-wise it would be less damaging to just move the suite to root than to use this as it is.

​I have at least 3 clients that would hit the roof if I even attempted this script.

• Management

​This is confirmed and we are discussing a solution internally. 

This should be resolved in 4.0.2.

​Sorry but should this not have been resolved before 4.0.0 final ?

Means that some of us will not be able to upgrade until 4.0.2 (assuming that it works and bug free)

Is it not possible to install Pages into root and the forum into forum and still pull info etc from forum, blog, gallery etc, I am assuming that is how you have done it here at IPS (Content/Pages in site root and forum installed here in community) ?

Means that some of us will not be able to upgrade until 4.0.2 (assuming that it works and bug free)

Is it not possible to install Pages into root and the forum into forum and still pull info etc from forum, blog, gallery etc, I am assuming that is how you have done it here at IPS (Content/Pages in site root and forum installed here in community) ?

​They're already on 4.0.1. I doubt you'll be waiting months for 4.0.2...

• Management

​This was brought up as a rising concern after final - so.... no. :)

This community uses Pages and all apps in the root. The main IPS site is an entirely different installation.

Archived