Rating suggestions, mostly for Gallery and Pages

chilihead

For galleries and databases would really like this:

• Show the member's rating stars given in the member's comment. Y/N
  • If set to Yes, then also: Must leave comment to rate. Y/N

These are good for review style content, like our databases and the Gallery for photo reviews. Showing the rating. And also the ability to force them to comment to rate, so the rating cannot be anonymous.

These are common on review type sites and would be great enhancements to Gallery and Pages. Thanks!

Yes, the ability to see who gave one star... and trolls knowing they will be exposed. Could be useful in Topics too. So I would suggest it be global with the ability to have the particular settings I mentioned as an override in each app so you could keep it anonymous per app if needed. THAT would be great.

:)

In general though it is great for ratings. Like if you want to do a Yelp type db or photo rating site.

No but lots of rating/review sites work like that. If you want to rate (stars) you have to review (comment). And then of course, you have the ability to not set it like that, so you can run it either way.

I'm more interested in showing the stars next to the name though to show what commenters left as a rating. I did this in 3.4 using a plugin I paid to have made.

I wouldn't use the "force" option in all apps, but in some review type databases in can come in handy. Restaurant reviews, etc.

For galleries and databases would really like this:

• Show the member's rating stars given in the member's comment. Y/N
  • If set to Yes, then also: Must leave comment to rate. Y/N

These are good for review style content, like our databases and the Gallery for photo reviews. Showing the rating. And also the ability to force them to comment to rate, so the rating cannot be anonymous.

These are common on review type sites and would be great enhancements to Gallery and Pages. Thanks!

​I don’t use Gallery, but if I understand you correctly, Pages already has the feature you want. You just need to activate “reviews” instead of “ratings”. 

I don't know it's confusing.

In Posting/General, where you pick 5/10 stars, they are called reviews.

In Blogs they are called "blog ratings."

In Topics they are called "star ratings."

In Pages they are called "reviews". And I can't seem to get even the stars to work. And don't see a review option. Strange.

In Gallery there is no setting, so you can't turn them off.

And don't see a review option. Strange.

​In Pages it’s part of the database settings under “Comments and reviews". (Because reviews are a certain kind of comment, which behave exactly the way you asked for: forcing a review text instead of just rating.)

Thanks for your help, but I'm not even seeing how to add the review to the article on the frontend. The stars are greyed, it says (0 reviews), and there is nothing in the comment box that says review, so I am confused. I have it enabled.

I see the tabs for reviews and comments, but not how to leave one.

Aha!

The permissions are buried in the Pages app in the right side arrow of the database.

Yes, this is what I was looking for, and does force a comment. It's a review with stars. Perfect! Woohoo! I like that it separates comments and reviews too. For those that just have a question, and don't want to review. This is nice!

Thanks for the help!!!! Much appreciated!

I still suggest the ability to show stars on rated content comments for other apps. But not force a comment, that is taken care of in Pages for review type databases we need to build! 

Archived