Can the notifications we haven't read stay bold please? No more red altert, but bold for the unread ones... thanks

chilihead

Personally I wish the notification setting was a lot better than it is now.

If I have 15 notifications and I only read 3, I wish that

A. It only subtracted those 3 away leaving 12 alerts still

B. There was a dismissed button if you wish to not read that notification.

We're getting there though <3 IPB4 at least tells you topic titles in the notification :P

Yeah, it's quite simple, if it's unread it should stay unread. Sometimes I want to come back later to read it.

Seems they are considering "read" as you saw the list, but didn't click. That is not read. Sometimes you have a long list and don't even see them all since you'd have to scroll, but it marks them read anyway.

What happens is I end up clicking stuff I've clicked already trying to find the new one. <-------- Pretty sure everyone's had that happen, right?

B. There was a dismissed button if you wish to not read that notification.

​Clicking the red bell icon can act as a dismiss, if they would leave the links bold as stated. Because the red would go away, and the notifications would still be bold.

Kill two birds with one stone. :)

​Clicking the red bell icon can act as a dismiss, if they would leave the links bold as stated. Because the red would go away, and the notifications would still be bold.

Kill two birds with one stone. :)

​Well I mean that is true but if the bell dismisses it and I don't read all my notifications then and there, how will I know how many I have remaining(if I have like 20 notifications). Leaving a subtracted amount would work better I think Plus bolding it.....

Though I think FB does it your way as well, so you could have a point there lol

Though I think FB does it your way as well, so you could have a point there lol

Yup I suppose it would be just like FB. And a Mark as Read link at the top would be handy if they implement this suggestion, to mark the list as read. But honestly that's not even a necessity, but keeping the link bold is, and simple. Hope they can implement this. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Since this was from April I am wondering if this is still in the works? On a busy forum you get tons of notifications, it's a real struggle to find notifications you have not read since when you click the first one and read the post and go back they are all marked as read.

Thanks

Since this was from April I am wondering if this is still in the works? On a busy forum you get tons of notifications, it's a real struggle to find notifications you have not read since when you click the first one and read the post and go back they are all marked as read.

Thanks

I absolutely agree! The longer you work with IPS 4, the more it bothers.

• Management

We've not forgotten about it. It's part of a much bigger and more robust improvement that's coming, so as is often the case, we've not narrowed it to this specific request -- but what we're doing covers this. 

Super excited about "More robust" but honestly a "only read these notifications" thing I vote no. No other social engagement site works that way unless it's a personal/private message and I would LOATHE it for the exact reason that you want it. It would be devastating to not be able to literally dismiss EVERY notification by viewing it in the top menu.

I know for a fact that's the way FB does it and I love the functionality. If I have 15 unread notifications I'm going to look at them and view the ones I find relevant to me otherwise I'm just going to simply look at them.

I know for a fact that's the way FB does it and I love the functionality.

FB's actually stays blue until you click the notification, go ahead and click that globe and scroll down and take a look and you will see some you never read. It's not a big deal to leave them that way either they just scroll away, but at least you can manage your notifications better. 

If I have 15 unread notifications I'm going to look at them and view the ones I find relevant to me otherwise I'm just going to simply look at them.

That is precisely the problem, if you have 15, click 1, and return to the list, they are all unread, so where is the line between old and new, and if you try to count them as you click them to make sure you got them all, you end up clicking ones you clicked already. I'm sure that's happened to other people.

Thanks @Lindy I'm sure the new feature will take care of it one way or another. :)

FB's actually stays blue until you click the notification, go ahead and click that globe and scroll down and take a look and you will see some you never read. It's not a big deal to leave them that way either they just scroll away, but at least you can manage your notifications better. 

That is precisely the problem, if you have 15, click 1, and return to the list, they are all unread, so where is the line between old and new, and if you try to count them as you click them to make sure you got them all, you end up clicking ones you clicked already. I'm sure that's happened to other people.

Thanks @Lindy I'm sure the new feature will take care of it one way or another. :)

I have been lazy the last few days and I didn't really check my notifications....However, I did today(all 42 lol) and I hit the full notification list(that takes me to the multiple notification list) and it showed me notifications I had already seen while others I had not read are bold still.

I wonder is this theme specific.

(This is on my own forum I am referring to).

Good to hear there is some robustness coming <3

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2015, 11:59:33, Lindy said:

We've not forgotten about it. It's part of a much bigger and more robust improvement that's coming, so as is often the case, we've not narrowed it to this specific request -- but what we're doing covers this. 

Is this still planned @Lindy? As it seems to work exactly the same as 3.4 in 4.1. Click one and they are all marked read. A real problem when we get a lot of notifications. Thanks

Archived