Redactor jQuery editor instead of CKEditor

Andrej

Switching to Redactor is quite an undertaking, however I would like to see it replace CKEditor in the (near) future. No, I really appreciate the work that was done to implement CKEditor into 4.0 but I feel that Redactor is better than CKEditor. Maybe I am wrong.

There was a discussion on this on the IPS4 Preview Board, so I figured I put this as a suggestion here.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use redactor daily in a piece of software. It's awful.

I can't add a list to the input without it making the entire contents of the editor into a list item.

Then after the list, typing becomes invisible, requiring a page-save and then re-edit.

There's always arguments for and against, but perhaps you could quantify your opinion with examples of why you feel one is better than the other. :)

• ​The editor in question here uses font based icons instead of image based icons, just like the IPS suite does.
  • That along with better code structure seems to make styling the editor a lot easier.

I just made a skin for CKEditor on my site, and it was an incredibly tedious process. :rofl: 

• 2 weeks later...

There's always arguments for and against, but perhaps you could quantify your opinion with examples of why you feel one is better than the other. :)

1. Better mobile support. 
  2. Fewer issues (I've been watching the tracker and a lot of your bugs seem to surround the editor.)
  3. Easier to style. 
  4. Faster loading. 
  5. Smaller foot print.
  6. Less resource intensive on mobile

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/410157-change-the-editor/

I use redactor daily in a piece of software. It's awful.

I can't add a list to the input without it making the entire contents of the editor into a list item.

Then after the list, typing becomes invisible, requiring a page-save and then re-edit.

​I've actually seen and used a redactor replacing the cke in 3.x(seems to have been a very custom task by the look of it).... I'd argue that would be the software's implementation causing these issues, I've not experienced any such issues with it.

​I hope to see option to change between the old editor and new one, i can't stand the new one. It's heavy, takes time to load and can be glitchy. It does look nice, but not functional as I want it and i feel it takes long time to load it when i load the page comparing to old one.. maybe we need a lighter version? :P 

• 1 month later...

Since i moved to IPS4, the most complain my users are giving me, is regarding the Editor. It has many flaws. Sometimes they prefer to delete everything in the editor, and start over.

I frequent a forum that uses Xenforo and i don't envy nothing from it but they Redactor Editor. Its so much better, it simple works, simple as that. No flaws, no bugs, no workarounds, it works.

CKEditor is heavier, works bad in mobile, have many flaws and bugs... For example, i post 2 youtube videos, then i want to write something between them, and i can't... If i want to delete the first one, i also can't... Conclusion, i delete everything and start over.
On IPB 3.0, we could at least change to bbcode mode and delete what we want.

I don't have any hopes that CKEditor will be better in future versions, probably will be the opposite. I also don't have many hopes that Invision will someday change from CKEditor to a better editor.

Its something that we will have to live with. Nothing can be perfect.

Just sent an email to Redactor support, asking if I could use it in place of CKEditor and what would be involved in implementing that substitution.

​Redactor support was amazing - almost immediate (15 minutes)!  Here is their reply, which is not very encouraging:

Art replied

Jun 10, 2:17pm

Hi ****,

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, it is up to IPB developers to make Redactor work with their software. You will certainly have to do some development to integrate Redactor with IPB, and the scale of this work may be relatively serious, depending on how deep current integration is.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

--
Take care,
Art

My members are happy with the new 4.0 and have made public posts stating this, behind the scenes however I've been asked questions on the function of the editor and why it does some of the things it does like highlighting quotes and a few other things. From a skinning pov it shouldn't take a pro to make it work. The work needed to make it work across browsers is a lot.

Seriously, ckeditor is terrible. Users on my site have no idea how to use the editor because it's so buggy. When they embed a picture, it takes a while for the url to turn into an image and they hit enter multiple times which results in tons of empty lines. Redactor embeds images instantly, it won't even show you the url when you paste it, it's an image right away. Tons of issues with quoting, and so much more. Not to mention all the problems with the editor not loading or taking a while to load... Please just get rid of this editor or at least make a comment on the situation @Lindy 

• Management

I don't believe we are at a point at this stage where we can just rip out and replace the editor. We do have an upgrade planned to CKEditor and if at that point, concerns are not resolved to satisfaction, we can certainly look into something else. 

Do keep in mind, however, other solutions aren't perfect either. Editors are like browsers... there's no perfect one. 

I don't believe we are at a point at this stage where we can just rip out and replace the editor. We do have an upgrade planned to CKEditor and if at that point, concerns are not resolved to satisfaction, we can certainly look into something else. 

Do keep in mind, however, other solutions aren't perfect either. Editors are like browsers... there's no perfect one. 

​I understand that at this point its not an easy solution to just get rid of an editor and implement a new one. 

But without replacing the editor, i suggest at least to remove the current implementation of 100% wysiwyg. I agree that seing the quotes, the youtube videos etc etc inside the editor its pretty, but we don't need something pretty, we need something that works.

For example, removing quotes inside quotes don't work, sometimes its even frustrating when we try to delete something from a quote and something unexpected happens. If instead of seing the real quote we could see the bbcode [ quote] it would be much easier to control it. Same thing with Youtube Video and almost everything else that is embed in the editor.

In IPB 3.4, quotes were already a mess in the editor, but what my users tell's me is that they could change the editor to bbcode mode, and then control the content. Now they can't, and that's the most complain they are making to me. They get frustrated.

But without replacing the editor, i suggest at least to remove the current implementation of 100% wysiwyg. I agree that seing the quotes, the youtube videos etc etc inside the editor its pretty, but we don't need something pretty, we need something that works.

For example, removing quotes inside quotes don't work, sometimes its even frustrating when we try to delete something from a quote and something unexpected happens. If instead of seing the real quote we could see the bbcode [ quote] it would be much easier to control it. Same thing with Youtube Video and almost everything else that is embed in the editor.

​Good points... any way to make these configurable settings from within IPS4 that affect how CK is rendered? Sounds like kind of a big deal...

I'm also not sure what's the deal with quotes within quote quirks.  I hope that is resolved at some point.

We do have an upgrade planned to CKEditor and if at that point, concerns are not resolved to satisfaction, we can certainly look into something else.

​I think this is more than reasonable.  I'm not a huge fan of CKEditor, but I do like some of the features of it.  I want to see the improvements before going 180.  It doesn't make sense at all to not fully commit to something and exhausting the options before considering another solution.  I hope we can see this upgrade in a 4.0.x build.  :smile:

Another problem here is this site.

I want do edit a post i made and delete the quote inside it.

So for the first try, i tried to delete de content of the quote and then hit the backspace. This is what happened:

When i hit the backspace inside the quote, my content gone inside the quote...

For the second try, i tried to make a backspace just after the quote, thinking that would delete the quote. Thsi is what happened:

So, how do i delete that quote?
This editor simple don't work as intended...

Archived