IPS Rules Application

Is this correct? 

Rule: Issue award based on length of 1 year

• Event: Member logged in to system
  • Conditions: ( match all conditions )
    • NOT Compare Dates (Member is within the award waiting period)
    • Member is in a certain member group (Member is in certain group)
    • Check if member has a certain award (Member does not already have award)
  • Actions:
    • Give an award to a member (Issue the award)

Also, I have 5 awards after that, and so I need to make an rule up so that if they reach two years then the one year award needs to be removed. And same for the post rank

Alright, I have done this and hope that it does the job  

Rule: Issue award based on length of 1 year

• Event: Member logged in to system
    • NOT Compare Dates (Member is within the award waiting period) 1 year
    • Member is in a certain member group (Member is in certain group)
    • Check if member has a certain award (Member does not already have award) DISABLED
  • Actions:
    • Give an award to a member (Issue the award) Regular
 Subrule: Issue award based on length of 2 years 
    • NOTCompare Dates (Member is within the award waiting period) 2 years
    • Member is in a certain member group (Member is in certain group) That's Regular
    • Check if member has a certain award (Member does not already have award)
  • Actions:
    • Give an award to a member (Issue the award) Hardened

On 8/3/2016 at 7:52 AM, Kevin Carwile said:

With the member is validated event and the create path alias action.

https://ipsguru.net

Thanks for the advise last time Kevin. Means a lot to me ^_^

I do have another question though. Let's say I wanted to allow a Premium Member Group to Earn More Points than a Regular Member Group.

Is there a way to give extra points to a Specific Member Group?

8 minutes ago, zheck said:

Thanks for the advise last time Kevin. Means a lot to me ^_^

I do have another question though. Let's say I wanted to allow a Premium Member Group to Earn More Points than a Regular Member Group.

Is there a way to give extra points to a Specific Member Group?

Extra points for what. I'm sure there is. But I have no idea what you are talking about.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Carwile said:

Extra points for what. I'm sure there is. But I have no idea what you are talking about.

OK, I'll do better to explain. ^_^

Members on my website earn points thanks to your Points Economy and Rules Apps.

So, for example, Members Earn 2 Points for Posting a Forum Topic on the Website.

I would like to make it where Members in the Premium Group earn Double the amount of Points Normal users earn.

So instead of earning 2 points for a Forum Topic, they would earn 4 points.

I fiddled with it for awhile, but couldn't come up with a good way to make this work.

Hopefully you know of a way to do this ^_^

And thanks for responding soo quickly.

Heres what you do:

Create a custom action that you will use to issue the points... call it "Issue Forum Topic Points" or similar. Give it a member object argument.

Where you currently have the action to issue the points in your rules, delete that action and put your custom action instead.

Then create a couple new rules for your custom action that you just created. One rule could check if the member is in your premium group and issue said points. Another rule can check if they are in some other group and issue the lesser amount of points.

That is how to leverage custom actions to create one action (i.e. Issue Forum Topic Points) that has sub-logic to it using additional rules.

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea how to create a rule to check for duplicate topics, then delete the duplicate which was created AFTER the first? I tried setting up a rule for this, which doesn't work:

• Run on topic created

Conditions:

• Check if topic titles are the same.
  • Check that topics were created within the same hour.
  • Check that topic creation dates, are not the same. (so topic being created is not deleted for matching itself).

Actions:

• Delete topic. (run action 2 minutes after)

With that above, minus the third condition, the first topic is deleted upon creation, because it's matching against itself somehow. How can I make a rule that waits for both topics to be created and can check them against each other?

Well, you cant really do that. How do you know which topic to check against when the second "duplicate" one is created. The topics are not related to each other and are not both present in the event, so I dont even know how you are attempting to check one against the other from a rule.

How and why do you have duplicates anyway? It might be a better idea to just fix that problem before it happens.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Carwile said:

Well, you cant really do that. How do you know which topic to check against when the second "duplicate" one is created. The topics are not related to each other and are not both present in the event, so I dont even know how you are attempting to check one against the other from a rule.

How and why do you have duplicates anyway? It might be a better idea to just fix that problem before it happens.

Good point.

Somtimes the post won't 'go through'. So the page doesn't switch to the topic page after creation, so user clicks submit a second time, which posts topic a second time. At least, that's how it's been described to me, I haven't encountered the issue myself.

• 1 month later...

Hello here,

I have this application since a few months, but since 1) I'm not a native english reader and 2) it looks like I don't have the "mindset" to correctly build rules, I haven't be able to figure how to use Rules (with iAwards) in an efficient way. 

So, I have a request for you guys: could somebody here could create/share some rules with me ? For exemple: add awards for xx new topic, add awards for xx new post, add award for xx likes given to other members, add award for xx likes get from other members, etc... ? If somebody here is okay, I'll tell exactly what kind of rules/ruleset I'm interested in.

I'm ready to pay a some bucks if needed. I just need some examples I will be able to edit according to new values (post count, topic count, likes count, etc...).

Thank you for your help.

18 hours ago, Vianney Gantelmi said:

Hello here,

I have this application since a few months, but since 1) I'm not a native english reader and 2) it looks like I don't have the "mindset" to correctly build rules, I haven't be able to figure how to use Rules (with iAwards) in an efficient way. 

So, I have a request for you guys: could somebody here could create/share some rules with me ? For exemple: add awards for xx new topic, add awards for xx new post, add award for xx likes given to other members, add award for xx likes get from other members, etc... ? If somebody here is okay, I'll tell exactly what kind of rules/ruleset I'm interested in.

I'm ready to pay a some bucks if needed. I just need some examples I will be able to edit according to new values (post count, topic count, likes count, etc...).

Thank you for your help.

I have written two sets of rules which have now been added to the Marketplace and are just pending approval. 

One will deal with posts/contributions,

the other will deal with Likes/Reputation

On 19/10/2016 at 7:07 PM, Police Community said:

I have written two sets of rules which have now been added to the Marketplace and are just pending approval. 

One will deal with posts/contributions,

the other will deal with Likes/Reputation

Soooo...

I just bought your Post Contributions rule set, thank you again for that.

I have one question: what is the logic behind checking the "100 contributions award", since there is no mention of such an award ?

25 minutes ago, Vianney Gantelmi said:

Soooo...

I just bought your Post Contributions rule set, thank you again for that.

I have one question: what is the logic behind checking the "100 contributions award", since there is no mention of such an award ?

Hi

All the levels are there and work together allowing for you to assign appropriate awards to them and if you like change the level of contribution. 100 contributions award is under the "Check Content Of Member" rule.

• 8 months later...

Hi Kevin,

I already own the rules automation full application, but I can't find the example rules (except for the starter pack).

1# On the file description page in the IPS marketplace, there are examples like

Example Rule #823

which means to me, there must be a storage location where I can find hundreds of example rules, right? Where can I find them please?

#2 I want to realize a very complex rules mechanism, almost a total member engagement game, but I need to learn more.
Is there - maybe - an AUTOMATION RULES CLUB with very experienced users out there, who are sharing ideas? I would also be willing to share my own ideas.

#3 What about events like the new reactions? I would love to see some advanced possibilities with them, f.e.

"tied to a special reaction condition sequence"

IF any user receives 5 "Haha" reactions in sequence   (=no other reaction type in between)
THEN give him the award xy   (I know iAwards is supported :) )

or a "challenge cup which is passed around" tied to a "reaction ratio": an owner holds the challenge cup only for the time until the next winner is awarded with it

IF any user has a reaction ratio of {1 "Sad" :  50 "Haha"}
THEN look if any user already has the "Clown" award
   IF YES take it away from him and give it to the new user
   IF NO give it to the new user

I have no idea, how to get this working

Sorry, I'm a rules beginner...

#4 I'm looking for a way to protect rules creations from customers. They get administrator access, as the communities will be their own communities and they have to buy the applications and plugins on their behalf (good for you :) ), but I'm asking myself, if there could be a way to protect the rules inside the ACP, that they can't be copied easily. Do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot for your great applications!

1. There arent any more example rules. That number was used to illustrate that there are lots of possibilities.

2. Ask around in the IPS forums. I'm pretty much the only guy answering questions on my support forum. IPS software just doesnt have a big enough user base to have groups of experts for 3rd party apps, especially highly advanced ones.

3. Reactions would be great. Unfortunately IPS developed them on 4.2 in a way that locked me out of creating rules for them.

4. Try ACP administrator permissions. They are in there.

18 hours ago, Cyboman said:

Hi Kevin,

I already own the rules automation full application, but I can't find the example rules (except for the starter pack).

1# On the file description page in the IPS marketplace, there are examples like

Example Rule #823

which means to me, there must be a storage location where I can find hundreds of example rules, right? Where can I find them please?

#2 I want to realize a very complex rules mechanism, almost a total member engagement game, but I need to learn more.
Is there - maybe - an AUTOMATION RULES CLUB with very experienced users out there, who are sharing ideas? I would also be willing to share my own ideas.

#3 What about events like the new reactions? I would love to see some advanced possibilities with them, f.e.

"tied to a special reaction condition sequence"

IF any user receives 5 "Haha" reactions in sequence   (=no other reaction type in between)
THEN give him the award xy   (I know iAwards is supported :) )

or a "challenge cup which is passed around" tied to a "reaction ratio": an owner holds the challenge cup only for the time until the next winner is awarded with it

IF any user has a reaction ratio of {1 "Sad" :  50 "Haha"}
THEN look if any user already has the "Clown" award
   IF YES take it away from him and give it to the new user
   IF NO give it to the new user

I have no idea, how to get this working

Sorry, I'm a rules beginner...

#4 I'm looking for a way to protect rules creations from customers. They get administrator access, as the communities will be their own communities and they have to buy the applications and plugins on their behalf (good for you :) ), but I'm asking myself, if there could be a way to protect the rules inside the ACP, that they can't be copied easily. Do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot for your great applications!

Once you understand how to build one rule such as "Earn an award if your content count reaches 100" then you'll understand how to build all of your other rules.  The sheer amount of events and conditions and actions means you have almost infinite control over triggering actions, but the underlying logic is the same no matter what you want to build.

Hey Kevin,

Just wanted to thank you publicly for such a great app. Last year we built a custom classifieds section on our site using Pages, & using Rules we were able to implement automatic cleanup function of ads as well as a basic system of automatically adding & removing access when someone buys an ad through Commerce. It's not absolutely perfect, but it works pretty well & everything is automated. If the only thing that we ever use this for is our classifieds, it will be worth it.

I do have one question though. Would it be possible to use this to automatically remove followers from old topics, say older than a certain date?

Would it be possible to create weekly newsletter using rules?  just need to let people know what the top topics from the week has been.

I have been tinkering but not really made any progress on this so far, any pointers or better yet a complete set of rules:thumbsup:

On 7/21/2017 at 9:32 AM, hawksfan said:

Hey Kevin,

Just wanted to thank you publicly for such a great app.

I do have one question though. Would it be possible to use this to automatically remove followers from old topics, say older than a certain date?

Thanks for the support. As for your question, Rules does not have a built in action for removing followers from a topic, so it could not be accomplished out of the box. But if someone were to write some php code that removed followers from a topic, you could add that to a custom action to get the job done.