@mention minor suggestions

chilihead

Use the name Lindy for example.

• If I want to tag Lindy, I type it, and he is the first example because his name is exactly what I typed. It should be highlighted so I can just hit enter and it tags. However nothing is highlighted so I have to use the mouse to select. Hitting enter does nothing. Yes we are supposed to select who we want to tag, but when you type it exactly it should be selected. If you don't want that one, as in the name is longer and there are more selections, select another. FB works this way and it is very efficient. 
  • If it is the only one available, hitting enter should definitely work. But it doesn't.
  • Also when you have a list of a lot of people, on other sites, you can put a space after the name and it shows that name. For example. I type Lindy(space). This would show Lindy and not any name like lindy773773 because you put the space. However in this case it is only showing a name that actually has the space, and not Lindy. It should show both of those.

Members with special characters, stars, etc. aren't going to get tagged much. I wouldn't even know how to tag them. Are there any thoughts on that?

What about typing a regular character portion of the name and it comes up? Right now it only works if you start with the first character.

Members with special characters, stars, etc. won't be directly addressed as much in normal conversation anyways due to the intrinsic difficulty of their name.  I don't think the entire @mention system needs to take into account difficult names.  

Its the members prerogative to choose names with unusual characters, and they should accept all the consequences that entails.  

Members with special characters, stars, etc. won't be directly addressed as much in normal conversation anyways due to the intrinsic difficulty of their name.  I don't think the entire @mention system needs to take into account difficult names.

Its the members prerogative to choose names with unusual characters, and they should accept all the consequences that entails.

​I gotta disagree here. if a user has a special character in the name, it should be taken in account and there should be no consequence. We as admins have the ability to disable( I think) those characters. But I do think the mention system should be flexible to include that. At least common/normal ones. Or perhaps a setting to allow admins to be able to add characters to be read by it.

​I gotta disagree here. if a user has a special character in the name, it should be taken in account and there should be no consequence. We as admins have the ability to disable( I think) those characters. But I do think the mention system should be flexible to include that. At least common/normal ones. Or perhaps a setting to allow admins to be able to add characters to be read by it.

​Unless there is a conflict where one of those special characters does something else, I think it would just be a string comparison and not be an issue.

@@4u < I don't who you are but I tested the worse case scenario and it worked so I don't think it's an issue.

If you can't even type their name normally ... you really think you're going to type their name in an @mention?  

I'm not disagreeing that if a user has a special character, the @mention should allow the member to appear as the @mention system should encompass all users.  (Sorry if that was unclear in my post.) But to do as @chilihead implied, and to make the @mention system particularly easier for those members by somehow extending the mention system to incorporate a special user interface that make it easier to convert non-traditional char to traditional char or something of that sort, is not warranted (at least in my opinion.)  

My reasoning is that if you can't even type the name normally, what makes you think that the @mention system should make it especially easier?

@Chilihead pointed out that members with special characters won't get tagged much. I was just pointing out, "Duh."    

Another improvement that I think would be useful is that instead of organising them alphabetically in the dropdown, it would make sense to put members who have participated in the thread (and match what you have typed of course) first on the list, then perhaps sort the members who haven't participated by some sort of measure of their community engagement (ideally it would be some sort of algorithm that would take into account content count, reputation, time that they were a member, frequency that they are tagged etc, but obviously that wouldn't be practical to implement so what about just content count or content count + reputation). That way, it would prioritise members that are most likely to be tagged.

Archived