"<wbr></wbr>" randomly added to topic titles after upgrading

ehku

After upgrading from 3.4.7, I realised that the string "<wbr></wbr>" has been randomly added to topic titles.

ipstitle.thumb.png.d570b023e49a964362413

This is a critical issue for me since my forum is a math forum and the added string caused the formula not displayed correctly. I use a Javascript display engine called MathJax, to turn TeX code to formula.

For MathJax to recognise a formula, it must be put between two symbols $, i.e. ${formula code}$, as that there's no line-break other than <br/> (MathJax does allow this line-break, see more: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mathjax-users/-7PcQ1sxZ6c/dEYm5u_WEQ8J).  Example: $\frac{a}{b}$ will be displayed as  gif.latex?%5Cfrac%7Ba%7D%7Bb%7D

As you can see from the above photo, the string "<wbr></wbr>" was added to topic titles, which caused the formula not being displayed (the formula  is displayed well in the blue box).

I would appreciate it if somebody can suggest a solution. @Mark

Thank you.

I would revert your site back to 3.4.7 from a backup as soon as you can. Get yourself up and running properly with what you had before.

Now wait until the release version of IPB 4 is out. Set up a copy of your 3.4.7 forum and do a test upgrade. If the problem persists file a support ticket. I reckon you'll be praying for a miracle to try to fix things with what you've ended up with.

I would revert your site back to 3.4.7 from a backup as soon as you can. Get yourself up and running properly with what you had before.

Now wait until the release version of IPB 4 is out. Set up a copy of your 3.4.7 forum and do a test upgrade. If the problem persists file a support ticket. I reckon you'll be praying for a miracle to try to fix things with what you've ended up with.

​Thanks. That's what I was planning to do. I had not been thinking of upgrading my live site until IPS 4 is really stable (maybe in a few months) until I made a serious and stupid mistake, unfortunately. I created a duplicate of the site and the database, applied all the necessary changes via FileZilla,  and then upgraded the duplicate to 4.0RC4. The problem is, I forgot to change the permissions of the config file (default is non-writable), and FileZilla didn't warn me about that (there's a tab called "failed transfer" but honestly I don't have the habit of looking at that every time I save a file). Therefore, the paths and the database in the config file are those of the live site, and as a result, the upgrade ended up with errors, and the live database was converted to 4.0 (maybe not properly) without having a working site associated to it. Unfortunately the last backup of the database was 2 weeks old, so I decided to continue to fight with 4.0.

But now, your comment makes me re-think of reverting back to 3.4.7, even though I will lose some data, that might be better.

Thanks again.

​No no, it's not an issue with the data. A <wbr> tag is invisible and 4.0 adds them to topic titles deliberately when displaying. The issue ehku is experiencing is just that his custom JS doesn't work with 4.0 anymore because of that.

I'll have a think about this tomorrow.

• 7 months later...

Hello @Mark.

The above problem has been resolved, but now I'm having another annoying problem (always related to MathJax).

One often encounters repeating or similar terms/expressions in math formulas and it's a pain to (re-)typing everything instead of just copy-pasting. However, when doing copy-paste of a text in the editor, it results in something like this: 

<span style="line-height:22.4px;"> copied text </span>

This is not good at all since it adds html code to the formula, resulting in invalid ones (the same problem as the above, with the <wbr> tags).

Is there a way to prevent the editor from adding those code?

Thank you in advance for your support.

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Are you pasting in the editor in plain text?

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, so, no :D The editor should know that I didn't apply any formatting to the text (to be copied), and thus it should not apply any formatting either to the copied text, shouldn't it?

1 minute ago, ehku said:

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, so, no :D The editor should know that I didn't apply any formatting to the text (to be copied), and thus it should not apply any formatting either to the copied text, shouldn't it?

The editor sees that the text you copied has formatting thus replicates it ;) 

In 4.0, you can setup your setting in the editor so everything pastes in plain text by clicking the settings cog wheel (if you have the default tool bar). Alternatively on Windows you can do CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste in plain text.

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

The editor sees that the text you copied has formatting thus replicates it ;) 

In 4.0, you can setup your setting in the editor so everything pastes in plain text by clicking the settings cog wheel (if you have the default tool bar). Alternatively on Windows you can do CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste in plain text.

Is there a way to set that option by default for all members please?

It's because the z-index for the contextual menu is lower than the <main> area, which is set to 1000. The menu's index is 200.

In the JS you have this line:

BGSTYLE:{position:"absolute",left:0,top:0,"z-index":200,width:"100%",height:"100%",border:0,padding:0,margin:0}

Change that to

BGSTYLE:{position:"absolute",left:0,top:0,"z-index":2000,width:"100%",height:"100%",border:0,padding:0,margin:0}

1 hour ago, Martin A. said:

It's because the z-index for the contextual menu is lower than the <main> area, which is set to 1000. The menu's index is 200.

In the JS you have this line:

BGSTYLE:{position:"absolute",left:0,top:0,"z-index":200,width:"100%",height:"100%",border:0,padding:0,margin:0}

Change that to

BGSTYLE:{position:"absolute",left:0,top:0,"z-index":2000,width:"100%",height:"100%",border:0,padding:0,margin:0}

Yes, it works ! Thank you very much !!! :D 

Archived