RSS Feed

dieselpowered

Something is weird. I scanned your home page and got the following.

It looks like this is a web page, not a feed. I looked for a feed associated with this page, but couldn't find one. Please enter the address of your feed to validate.

Not sure what you mean by scanned, however, I can only find the RSS feeds for an individual forum...looking for the entire site RSS feed.

Thanks!

​You can only get feed for individual forums not one url for whole site

I have a similar problem.  What is the URL that I need to create a RSS feed?

​Not sure what mean as feeds are at the bottom right of forums and people click that to obtain the feed url

Go to ACP -> Community -> Forums -> Settings -> Enable RSS Feed? (make sure it is checked)

Then go to the forum that you want an RSS feed of. Scroll to the bottom and click the orange RSS feed icon. Then click the link and that will bring you to the RSS feed for that particular forum. 

But when I click on my Rss Feed  on my website I get this  This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

​Perfectly normal as long as you have data below that.

XML is a structured syntax and normally there is no style information. I attached a screenshot sample of what it should look like.

xml-sample.PNG

So they took out the ability to get one RSS feed for the entire site?

Wonder why they chose to go that route?

​Such a thing never existed in IPB..... feel free to check. This was not something that was removed, it was never core functionality in the first place.....

The only thing that was actually removed anywhere close to that is a global dropdown of all rss feeds available for the site. This was a menu that easily outgrew itself anyway, so I'm not surprised.

​Such a thing never existed in IPB..... feel free to check. This was not something that was removed, it was never core functionality in the first place.....

The only thing that was actually removed anywhere close to that is a global dropdown of all rss feeds available for the site. This was a menu that easily outgrew itself anyway, so I'm not surprised.

​Hmm really, what is this? http://www.shootersrealm.com/rss/forums/1-shootersrealmcom-shooting-and-firearm-forums-rss-feed/

Are you saying that this feed is not including everything from all the forums?

ok, point taken, I was confused. This is about the lack of admin-defined RSS forums export options that were available in 3.x, is it not?

​I was not trying to "get you" lol I was thinking hmm maybe I am wrong.

You are correct, back then I believe we were able to choose forums to export an RSS feed for.

Appreciate the response!

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I paid Brandon Farber a LONG time ago (back in the 2.x days) to make a custom RSS export mod for my site. Throughout IPB updates I paid him to keep it updated when a new version came out. I've asked if he would update it again for 4.0 but I have yet to receive a response.

It is really unfortunate that RSS isn't a priority for IPB. For sites with a large amount of structured posts, RSS makes it super easy to weed through a conversation.

You can see our custom mod here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/

I added clickable icons in the forum descriptions for the feed but it should also pick it up automatically if you have a browser extension that looks for an active RSS feed for that page. I can choose how often to refresh the RSS content, what forums to enable RSS for, and can even add custom content to the output (e.g. advertisements). This isn't just the ability to export new threads as RSS but this mod updates the feed for EVERY POST that is made for a forum.

I would love if Brandon would just roll the mod I paid him to do for us into the shipping code for IPB or release it as an extra. Brandon, if you are listening, is it possible for you to do this so others could enjoy it as well?

• 3 months later...

Hey there

So do we have a global RSS feed now ?

We need to show the forum feed on our wordpress site (independant from IPB) so we need a global rss feed, i am really surprised it doesnt exist as you can find some on any other board solutions, dont know why they dont have it on IPB

• 3 weeks later...

No Global RSS Feed - This is most frustrating. I'm confused as to why people are saying it never existed in 3.4.x as I used to use this to drive my Twitter feed via Hootsuite, and now its broken unless I somehow manually add over 60 forum feeds into Hootsuite, its just not feasible and probably not even possible.

ok, point taken, I was confused. This is about the lack of admin-defined RSS forums export options that were available in 3.x, is it not?

Yes, I use a selected group of forums in my site, chosen in the Admin, to build a RSS export feed which feeds my site twitter and facebook accounts of new topics.

Archived