url reset costs money

Neven Golenić

If one pays for the software he should be able to use it however he likes, charging for url resets is just corporate greed. In the long gone past IPS used to offer owned licenses for its software and ever since you've been stripping down the offer to force customers into a narrow recurring payment model. I understand this model makes more cash, but charging for url resets is a bit over the top, don't you think? I was hoping you might reconsider.

You are allowed to move your url every 6 months for free. It is unusual to do multiple moves within 6 months. People generally don't move their licenses around domains that often. The fee is largely there as a barrier against malicious activities.

You should raise a ticket with IPS explaining your move, they are reasonable and have made exceptions in the past.

I see thanks for the heads up, I don't need a permanent forum but use it from time to time for projects, often the urls are subdomains matching the project name... it would be nice if this limit could at least be increased to 3 changes, thus giving some space for users who change the domain more often and still preventing malicious use (btw what kind of malicious use are we talking about?).

I see thanks for the heads up, I don't need a permanent forum but use it from time to time for projects, often the urls are subdomains matching the project name... it would be nice if this limit could at least be increased to 3 changes, thus giving some space for users who change the domain more often and still preventing malicious use (btw what kind of malicious use are we talking about?).

​3 would be a problem.

You are required to pay $25 for support of software and that is per licence. If you have 3 licences you could in effect just juggle your URLs between them and get support for all 3 but only for the price of 1.

This is brought up quite a lot and the answer has been consistently the same.

If you have a genuine need to swap a licence raise a ticket. The support staff don't bite. :) 

• Management

​3 would be a problem.

You are required to pay $25 for support of software and that is per licence. If you have 3 licences you could in effect just juggle your URLs between them and get support for all 3 but only for the price of 1.

This is brought up quite a lot and the answer has been consistently the same.

If you have a genuine need to swap a licence raise a ticket. The support staff don't bite. :) 

​Exactly right on all counts! 

I don't believe the TEST/DEV licenses are restricted to any specific URL, unless this also changed in 4.0.

Not sure either way honestly, I don't recall them ever being restricted, or if they are, I've never noticed.

​They are.

If you install a test at yourdomain.com/test then you are restricted to using that URL.

This caught me out a few weeks ago as I had a test installation and on my next beta used a different directory (the old one had been deleted). It refused to install because of the URL.

You can see it in your client area:

You are managing IPS Community Suite
Community URL: http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xx.uk  
Test URL: http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xx.uk/test_in​stall/

Archived