[Missing] Media Tags

CheersnGears

You can create custom editor buttons that can put in custom code. Is that what you're after?

​It's been so long since I installed that mod, but it sounds like what you suggest could be the fix.   Yes, we do use a button in the editor to embed these in posts in 3.4.7

• Management

Yeah you can create custom buttons. I'm not sure how the PDF one works but you can do a button that wraps custom code around it. So like:

<whatever that magic code is>{content}</magic code>

And it replaces {content} with what you type in the modal. Works like the code button here does. I am making one to do tip and warning boxes in our documentation. So I will be able to highlight text and it will wrap it in a custom code to make a pretty box. 

​I need this for youtube videos :)  How do i accomplish adding a custom button to the editor? thanks 

​YouTube videos are now automatically embedded - just paste a link to the video and it'll appear in the post :)

While we support custom editor buttons (which is ideal for something like pdf, where you want to use an iframe or an embed HTML tag to embed it), we also support oembed out of the box.  We define several oembed services we support out of the box, but a plugin author could easily add support for others.  See \IPS\Text\Parser::oembedServices() (which is intentionally abstracted in the way it is to allow third party developers to extend it).

SoundCloud and Instagram also automatically embed now - no separate tag needed. I suspect embedding Vine would be a pretty easy thing to set up too.

So the question remains, is there a way for Admins to set up these embedding settings.  It may not be media tags, but the ability for individual admins to create their own is what we are aiming for here.

So the question remains, is there a way for Admins to set up these embedding settings.  It may not be media tags, but the ability for individual admins to create their own is what we are aiming for here.

​Depending on what it is that needs to be embedded, it would be either a custom editor button, or a simple hook like Brandon described above.

While we support custom editor buttons (which is ideal for something like pdf, where you want to use an iframe or an embed HTML tag to embed it), we also support oembed out of the box.  We define several oembed services we support out of the box, but a plugin author could easily add support for others.  See \IPS\Text\Parser::oembedServices() (which is intentionally abstracted in the way it is to allow third party developers to extend it).

​Brandon, the difference here is that in 3.4.x everyone with little knowledge, could go to the ACP and create a Media Tag. Creating a plugin is a lot different and not everyone is able to do it.

Also a button in CKEditor is different from a Media Tag, because in that case we need to click the button and post in a text box what we want. The Media Tag works like your oembed. We just put the link in the editor and its done.

​Brandon, the difference here is that in 3.4.x everyone with little knowledge, could go to the ACP and create a Media Tag. Creating a plugin is a lot different and not everyone is able to do it.

Also a button in CKEditor is different from a Media Tag, because in that case we need to click the button and post in a text box what we want. The Media Tag works like your oembed. We just put the link in the editor and its done.

​Yeah, but there were a lot of media tags hooks created for 3.4.x that were available in the marketplace and for free or super cheap.  If you are in need of a media tag for some big existing service like Vine or Vimeo, I'm sure a dev will be along rather quickly to create a plug-in. Even if it isn't a big service, I'm betting that a dev can whip one up fairly quick.

I think I'm satisfied enough with this one to mark it as [Found]

​Yeah, but there were a lot of media tags hooks created for 3.4.x that were available in the marketplace and for free or super cheap.  If you are in need of a media tag for some big existing service like Vine or Vimeo, I'm sure a dev will be along rather quickly to create a plug-in. Even if it isn't a big service, I'm betting that a dev can whip one up fairly quick.

I think I'm satisfied enough with this one to mark it as [Found]

​I believe that. I just doubt they will be free ;)

​I believe that. I just doubt they will be free ;)

​There are lots and lots and lots of free ones for 3.4.7.

Worst case scenario if you can't spend the $2 for a media tag that you really want.  Download one of the free ones and look at the code to figure out how the author did it, then make your own.   I am not a programmer, but even I could hack one of these together in very little time.

The reality is, they required regular expression and knowledge of how the third party service worked, so realistically they required developer intervention anyways for most services. :) oEmbed is more future-proof and reliable - as third party services change, the updates happen automatically.

​I read the article, \IPS\Text\Parser::oembedServices(), but will you confirm something for me? This only works if, I am embedding content from within my site.  If I try to embed content, from another site, I would need to use a custom button, where I would use an iframe or an embed HTML tag, correct?

No, this is for any oEmbed services.  This is how youtube, twitter, Facebook, and others work.

parseEmbeddableMedia() then checks all these services as well as internal URLs.

​And how to get work zippy share in V.4? Can't ... except if you are a programming guru

Archived