[Missing] Post Numbering

CheersnGears

• Management

Ohhhhh... well that makes more sense.

People kept saying "post numbering" and I thought they meant the literal number of the post. Like your post above is #2528322 in the system. That obviously seemed kind of odd to me.

I'm not sure if this will make it into the core product but I will bring it up internally. I expect someone would release something in the Marketplace before we got around to it though :)

Ohhhhh... well that makes more sense.

People kept saying "post numbering" and I thought they meant the literal number of the post. Like your post above is #2528322 in the system. That obviously seemed kind of odd to me.

I'm not sure if this will make it into the core product but I will bring it up internally. I expect someone would release something in the Marketplace before we got around to it though :)

​No, it's post X in a specific thread. 

The reason we decided to remove this is because the post numbers aren't the same for everyone - if you see unapproved posts as a moderator, or you are a member who has a post awaiting moderation (in IPS4 you can see you own unapproved posts), the numbers won't be the same as someone who doesn't. Or, if a post is deleted, then all posts after it end up with a different number. I'm not sure there's a easy way around that unfortunately.

A better way of referencing posts is to click the little share icon at the top-right of a post and share the permalink to it instead; that way, those who can access it jump right to the post, but nothing happens for those that can't.

I understand both of those points, but here are three of my own:

1. Most users aren't going to be admins or moderators that can see such hidden posts.  

2. The share link doesn't address large old boards like mine that have been doing the text system for forever, unless you have a magic script that is going to go find that raw txt and fix it. 

3. I agree that the share links system is the way of the future, but removing the numbers does't allow for legacy boards like mine to maintain references.

• Management

Yes I get what you're saying but I may lean toward it being a better fit for a Marketplace addition since, even as you point out, it's more a legacy thing. Besides I would guess it would be a super-easy plugin to make.

One option is showing the actual post number - for example, Charles' post above is post ID #2528363. That number never changes whether you can see that particular post or not. The problem with that is they aren't incremental within a particular topic, so you would have to hunt for it.

One option is showing the actual post number - for example, Charles' post above is post ID #2528363. That number never changes whether you can see that particular post or not. The problem with that is they aren't incremental within a particular topic, so you would have to hunt for it.

​As I pointed out, that doesn't address us legacy boards. 

Archived