Please provide a list of all of the features that were in 3.X, but have now been removed in 4.0

openfire

I'm astounded by some of the features that have been removed in 4.0. And that's just from reading a few threads in the last 5 minutes....

Can IPS please provide a list of ALL the features of 3.X that were removed in 4.0?

This would greatly aid myself and many others to decide whether to move forward with 4.0.

I don't want to spend days or weeks reading the random  threads here in order to find out what was removed and if the software does what I want it to do. A list in one place makes more sense.

Thanks.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THIS. 

And also , we all need to complain to the powers that be around here to allow users the options to re-instate valuable features we needed/used/loved in 3.0.

Forget this whole "adapt" / "live with it" / "get over losing it" mentality --- Invision Power Services is just that -- providing a SERVICE -- that we as the consumers should demand the control over. You are here to serve us, don't force us to accept the removal of services we pay for and need to operate our websites. We have the money that pays YOU, so we deserve the OPTION of customisability and the CHOICE of which features should stay or go.

THIS.

And also , we all need to complain to the powers that be around here to allow users the options to re-instate valuable features we needed/used/loved in 3.0.

Forget this whole "adapt" / "live with it" / "get over losing it" mentality --- Invision Power Services is just that -- providing a SERVICE -- that we as the consumers should demand the control over. You are here to serve us, don't force us to accept the removal of services we pay for and need to operate our websites. We have the money that pays YOU, so we deserve the OPTION of customisability and the CHOICE of which features should stay or go.

​Okay...I was with you at first until those last two sentence.

Your first point makes you sound like a concerned customer.....a customer who has a point/right to be mad.

your last points make you feel you are entitled...You don't get to demand control over Windows, Mac OS, Android. In fact none of them actually really communicate what they remove(At least google half the time doesn't and why). They are not here to serve us. You are not their warlord and they are not our slaves to do as we say. Come on now, think about what you say before you say it as it is not only disrespectful it's just dumb.

We do have the money to pay them and we are what helps keep them in business but if you want people to hear you, you should see how you're speaking if you don't want to be ignored.

You don't get the choice of what features should stay or go...but it should be communicated better by IPS about why they do the things they do. They dropped the ball there. Actually it is more like they dropped and lost the ball there. I can admit that but instead of DEMANDING, how about suggesting. With class and respect.

I'm astounded by some of the features that have been removed in 4.0. And that's just from reading a few threads in the last 5 minutes....

Can IPS please provide a list of ALL the features of 3.X that were removed in 4.0?

This would greatly aid myself and many others to decide whether to move forward with 4.0.

I don't want to spend days or weeks reading the random  threads here in order to find out what was removed and if the software does what I want it to do. A list in one place makes more sense.

Thanks.

You should update the post with stuff added.

So far

people have complained about

1. Followers vs Friends- Which is still generally the same concept but worded differently

2. Removing the memberlist(the way it was in 3.4)

That's all I got so far. While we're at it, with all these doom and gloom threads...can we get a positive "What has been added and enhanced in 4.0" so people such as myself know what to look forward to WHEN we upgrade and move to 4.0

@openfire I agree that the removal of features is something that ought to be explored more by the developers, managers, and the community.  But righteous indignation over the removal of features would have been appropriate last June / July when the betas were being released and there was time to make compelling arguments such as demanding feature parity with 3.0.  

At such a late stage and before imminent release, arguing over feature parity is almost a lost cause.  Let them ship the damn product first.  It's been 2 years of renewals for most of us without anything to show for it, 2 years of pausing and waiting and waylaid plans, and 2 years of waiting for a definitive vision and feature set that still aren't fully realized.  At this point, let them fix the bugs so the broader - and more critical - goal of releasing IPS 4 can be achieved first.  

Two more thoughts:

1. While I agree that this topic can serve as useful discussion, maybe instead of just expressing your emotions, actually compile the features in a definitive reference list?  Because ... you know ... a reference list might be useful for IPS and  the community.  How you feel, on the other hand, is astoundingly not useful.  You get my point.  

2.  And while you're compiling that list, you need to also justify why you think those features are still needed.  (For example, the current debate over numbered posts.)  We have individual post sharing, we have multi-quotes and quotes, and all other sorts of new ways of filtering and sorting posts that weren't available back in the original bulletin boards.  Thus, I find that people complaining over the lack of numbered posts are forgetting that while the feature of numbered posts is gone, the method of referencing posts is still available in ways that are better than ever before.  

​You should update the post with stuff added.

​From the top of my head:

• Merge member's concurrent posts setting
  • Best Answer feature (Mark Solved + badge on forum view). I won't use the (argh) Q&A feature
  • Cut off for active user display [in minutes]: now we're stuck on 30 minutes, unless we edit a file
  • Max topic titles length setting
  • Number of topics per forum page setting

Of course there are many, many, many others I forgot now.

Why the angst? To demand someone lists any omissions is not possible as some of them will be omitted purely because they were forgotten about. How can you expect someone to list things they have not remembered ?

From what I have read on here, many things have been added that were not there originally. So if it were me I would just highlight what I would miss and explain why IMO it should be included. You may win some and lose some but at least you get heard.

​From the top of my head:

• Merge member's concurrent posts setting
  • Best Answer feature (Mark Solved + badge on forum view). I won't use the (argh) Q&A feature
  • Cut off for active user display [in minutes]: now we're stuck on 30 minutes, unless we edit a file
  • Max topic titles length setting
  • Number of topics per forum page setting

Of course there are many, many, many others I forgot now.

​In your opinion

1. Are these features that should still exist in the core or are some of these features that could be better used as a 3rd party mod?

2. What's the difference in Q/A vs  Best answer...I never used Best answer so I really don't know.

2. What's the difference in Q/A vs  Best answer...I never used Best answer so I really don't know.

​Best answer on forum view:

Capturar.thumb.PNG.8882693e45e4fd19340eb

Topic author or staff elects a post as the best answer for the topic.

Não_consigo_baixar_-_IP.Board_3.4.X_&_3

Simple and straigh, you know which post was the best answer, without all those freak stuff of Q&A.

​Of course, the post is in my name, right ? As as far as I can see, the topic is to provide a list of features removed from 3.4. Or am I crazy?

​Yes I am aware of that.
it would probably help if you didn't quote 3 words of my posts and answered the question :) I was asking in your opinion do you think these are features that should remain(or be brought back into core) OR would it be better as an add-on/hook?

As well as the differences between best answer and Q&A...you seem to have some contempt for Q&A so I was curious to see what the differences were between the two.

My apologies if you had trouble understanding what I was asking :D

​Best answer on forum view:

Capturar.thumb.PNG.8882693e45e4fd19340eb

Topic author or staff elects a post as the best answer for the topic.

Não_consigo_baixar_-_IP.Board_3.4.X_&_3

Simple and straigh, you know which post was the best answer, without all those freak stuff of Q&A.

It seems that the Q&A is an evolution of Best answer. From using it briefly here on the support forums, it seems members are able to vote which is the best answer or downvote them. Please correct me if I am wrong. If so, I think that actually is pretty cool and encourages community involvement. Of course I could be misunderstanding. I likely won't ever use Q&A...as I never used Best Answer as the feature doesn't fit my niche.​

2.  And while you're compiling that list, you need to also justify why you think those features are still needed.  (For example, the current debate over numbered posts.)  We have individual post sharing, we have multi-quotes and quotes, and all other sorts of new ways of filtering and sorting posts that weren't available back in the original bulletin boards.  Thus, I find that people complaining over the lack of numbered posts are forgetting that while the feature of numbered posts is gone, the method of referencing posts is still available in ways that are better than ever before.  

​While those new features are great for a new board that is just starting out, they fail to take into account those of us who have been operating for over a decade on this software and have no ability to go back and fix those posts that reference a post number manually.  While I admit that the coding cost of adding post numbers is not zero, the coding cost is relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of this software. 

Here is a hypothetical parallel that I see. What if you were running a Wiki using MediaWiki and they decided (without consulting the userbase) that they were no longer going to support Wiki Markup Language and there wasn't going to be a converter when you upgraded.  Thus all of your links would get broken.  Your Wiki would be done with or at least trapped on older software.  It is an extreme example, but the mechanics of it are the same. 

​Yes I am aware of that.it would probably help if you didn't quote 3 words of my posts and answered the question :) I was asking in your opinion do you think these are features that should remain(or be brought back into core) OR would it be better as an add-on/hook?

As well as the differences between best answer and Q&A...you seem to have some contempt for Q&A so I was curious to see what the differences were between the two.

My apologies if you had trouble understanding what I was asking :D

​Sorry, the posted was edited after I replied.

It seems that the Q&A is an evolution of Best answer. From using it briefly here on the support forums, it seems members are able to vote which is the best answer or downvote them. Please correct me if I am wrong. If so, I think that actually is pretty cool and encourages community involvement. Of course I could be misunderstanding. I likely won't ever use Q&A...as I never used Best Answer as the feature doesn't fit my niche.​

​That's what they say. Q&A is not for me. Too messy! Too ugly! Out of my niche. Best Answer is better for support topics. The problem here is simply remove something that a lot of people use in name of "oh, this is the evolution of it, so use it or remove it!". That's exacly the option I have: USE or NOT USE.

I choose NOT to use it (just like FOLLOWERS on IPS; had to remove 139 friends I had because I spent all day long receiving notifications of everything.) and I bet with everyone that it won't be used as they think it is. You can see here on IPS: "It's also a great opportunity for us to test out our Question and Answers feature in IPS4. (We will start in Q&A mode and eventually turn it back to normal Discussion mode.)", because it is too bad, doesn't fit at all.

Please, do it:

01 - Option to select emoticons, select all emoticons, option to delete a emoticons group.

02 - Option to add custom icon in the posts page.

03 - Option to change the text color of the widgets in theme customization area.

04 - Option to add @2x Retina Support for Logo and Custom Icons on Index and Posts Page.

• Management

Nothing was "removed" in 4.0 specifically from 3.x. Things were added, changed, modified, etc. but nothing was removed just for the fun of it.

During our initial preview stages a lot of things were added in 4.0 that we either forgot about or were things we thought were no longer needed but it turns out were needed.

If you see something specific missing in 4.0 that you have a use for please start a topic with information on how you use a feature. Often we are happy to add something if it is used in a way we did not realize at the time we implemented features. A make-a-list topic like this is easily overlooked :)

• Management

Thanks.

THIS. 

Agree. Need to understand if new version of the forum acceptable for the upgrade on my 3.4 community.

Agreed, it is very concerning that so much basic functionality hasn't been carried over.   

​It would be very helpful if you could all provide specific examples in a separate topic of critical features you feel are missing. Thank you.

​It would be very helpful if you could all provide specific examples in a separate topic of critical features you feel are missing. Thank you.

If i understand the TO well, this is exactly what he dont want...  :

Why IPB dont make a topic, with all the removed things, it sounds easy...

- removed: Friends/Buddy System

- removed: Topic Title length Settings in ACP

(like a changelog)

I think it is going to be useful to see IPB4 in a full forum environment on a wider scale than this board. I'm reserving judgement on whether the gamble IPB seem to be taking will pay off or not, but I'm confident once people get used to the new features/way of presenting information, we'll be having the same conversations when IPB5 comes along!

- No more image download count under thumbnails. 

Essentially this means if you have several images attached in a thread you won't know which one was viewed most or even how many times any of them were viewed. UGH :(

I really miss this feature. I would pay anyone money to bring it back!

Archived