Where are the rebuild & recount tools?

ehku

Post counts get out of sync occasionally. Recount tools fix them. That's all there is to it.

No, it is not all there is to it. Why are the counts out of sync? Do you even know? Why would you turn down actual, official, human support from the company that makes the script, that actually will fix bugs for your site directly, when no other web software company actually offers such? Are you actually 'ok' with a bug remaining because you refuse to allow them to access your server? If it's about security, every staff member is under elaborate NDA. Nobody is going to steal your data, or do anything harmful to your site.

• 1 month later...

I've just found a common situation where forum content counts get broken. So if anyone has ever deleted a hidden post before unhiding it, you are already affected and will need a recount. Bugging it now.

Reporting the same exact issue here too. 4.0.13 ....I wish they would give us back the recount and rebuild tools. I feel like I'm finding and filing 3-5 bugs every week. This is getting exhausting, maybe we should be paid as debug testers for all the filing we're doing? lol.

Wouldn't you prefer we fix the bug causing the problem rather than hiding it by having a recount-rebuild tool?

Charles, yes I would, but honestly reporting bugs is starting to become a 2nd job for me. Sometimes I just want to fix something for the client quickly and move on with my day. Sometimes these tickets sit around for 3, 4, 5 days, and finally end up getting escalated, because tier 1 support never believes that we know what we're doing. Honestly, its a PIA. I'll report bugs, on my time, when I can get around to it. But functionality shouldn't be held hostage to get "what you want", think of your customers first, what is more convenient for them? It's like you're using a stick to get us to report bugs and it doesn't feel right. We all want a bug free experience, and I'm committed to reporting what I find, but please understand this from a customers perspective. Thanks.

Charles, yes I would, but honestly reporting bugs is starting to become a 2nd job for me. Sometimes I just want to fix something for the client quickly and move on with my day. Sometimes these tickets sit around for 3, 4, 5 days, and finally end up getting escalated, because tier 1 support never believes that we know what we're doing. Honestly, its a PIA. I'll report bugs, on my time, when I can get around to it. But functionality shouldn't be held hostage to get "what you want", think of your customers first, what is more convenient for them? It's like you're using a stick to get us to report bugs and it doesn't feel right. We all want a bug free experience, and I'm committed to reporting what I find, but please understand this from a customers perspective. Thanks.

^

• Management

I may be missing something but in looking at your ticket history you have not had a ticket on this issue. You had several tickets a few weeks ago with some upgrade issues but we resolved all those. In looking at your bug reports you have only ever posted two reports and both were fixed months ago.

Can you point me to a ticket or bug report where we did not promptly resolve your issue? I would be curious to see if there are impacting issues like this floating around out there.

I may be missing something but in looking at your ticket history you have not had a ticket on this issue. You had several tickets a few weeks ago with some upgrade issues but we resolved all those. In looking at your bug reports you have only ever posted two reports and both were fixed months ago.

Can you point me to a ticket or bug report where we did not promptly resolve your issue? I would be curious to see if there are impacting issues like this floating around out there.

I search the forums first. When I see a bug already reported I wait until a fix. If you look through my ticket history you will see I found several bugs that hadn't even been found or reported yet. I think you're still missing the point. Why are you putting me on blast because I'm asking for some tools/functionality back? The only thing the admin console has is some strange Support/Something isn't working -> Continue and "did that fix it?" ....I have no idea what it's doing. One time I tried this on a dev image of our forums and it actually broke the site. Imagine how powerless your customers feel? Look, the fact of the matter is that IPS 4.x has issues, we pay for the software, we pay for the support. But now you're asking us to debug it for you? Some of us don't mind going through all of this effort and burden, some of us do. But to say the only reason we're withholding admin tools is to force us to report bugs is just not right, I don't care how you want to slice it.

• Management

I am not putting you on blast I am trying to see what you are talking about :) 

I just wanted to see some examples of something you reported that was not resolved. You had said that reporting bugs was a second job for you so I wanted to see what you were referring to. Were you reporting these bugs on an account other than this one? I could just be looking wrong but I only see 2 reports from you.

My goal is to try to determine if this issue is as serious as you are saying so we can take action accordingly :)

I am not putting you on blast I am trying to see what you are talking about :) 

I just wanted to see some examples of something you reported that was not resolved. You had said that reporting bugs was a second job for you so I wanted to see what you were referring to. Were you reporting these bugs on an account other than this one? I could just be looking wrong but I only see 2 reports from you.

Charles, provide the users with tools, quit distracting.

And yes, I've submitted 13 tickets in the last 30 days (11 of them in August alone)! Some of those tickets have almost a dozen back and forths with support. Go look again. I'm not here to argue about the tickets. Why does that even matter? Even if I never submitted a single ticket, your logic is still flawed. You should provide these tools.

• Management

I am not distracting - I am investigating. We need more information before we start randomly adding tools. I am trying to find an open bug report or ticket about this issue but I cannot. You said you spend tons of time reporting issues but I cannot find any. That doesn't mean they do not exist - I just need some assistance in discerning if this is a "few people having problems" thing or "major thing let's release a patch" sort of issue. All I am asking for is for you to point out something I can use as a place to start :cry:

I am not distracting - I am investigating. We need more information before we start randomly adding tools. I am trying to find an open bug report or ticket about this issue but I cannot. You said you spend tons of time reporting issues but I cannot find any. That doesn't mean they do not exist - I just need some assistance in discerning if this is a "few people having problems" thing or "major thing let's release a patch" sort of issue. All I am asking for is for you to point out something I can use as a place to start :cry:

Here is the bug that someone else already filed (ignored for 6 days BTW): https://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/active-reports/4013-deleting-a-hiddenunapproved-topic-breaks-forum-content-count-r7735/

I never said my issues didn't get resolved. But now that you mention it, you just reminded me that there was one about incorrect timestamps on last post/last visit member info. After the 4.0.13 update I was told all the old (broken) records would stay that way, but going forward it would fix future records. Which basically meant that I can't rely on the data to cull users from the past and it would never be fixed, and I should get good with that. Whatever, fine. Took the time to report it, take screenshots, reply, blah, blah and blah. All I ever said, and all that you seem to latch on to is submitting tickets is turning into a hassle (like a 2nd job), but you keep glaringly missing the original point. Hint: It's at the end of this post.

So, while investigating this new "incorrect or negative number post counter" issue (deleting hidden posts breaks the post counter, see URL above), I came across this thread (instead of wasting anyones time, I investigated it first to see if this is being discussed or already reported), and all I see is utter arrogance in this thread towards your users. Your defense to not providing what they were asking for was because it would force users to report bugs. ugh.... and wow, just wow. So apparently I provide better customer support then you do. You keep coming at me with unrelated questions, I keep answering them, but my initial query goes ignored by you. This entire thread is an example of what not to do to your customers.

So, if we can get past what you need Charles, here is what I and many of your other customers need: rebuild and recount put back into the admin CP. thank you.

My 2c,

I'm not sure why it would be needed as its a temporary solution to a problem, reporting counting bugs so they can be fixed would mean you don't have to keep running such tools and I'm sure a recount would happen in the upgrade routine if such a bug is fixed? 

Thanks for pointing that out. That is a great example of why we should not have a recount/rebuild tool :)

If we had a tool no one would have reported that bug and therefore it would have never been fixed.

Actually no. It would get reported. How can you say that? So you're telling me, because of the recount/rebuild tool in 3.x, no one reported these kind of bugs?

Such absolutes.... "It would have NEVER been fixed"?? SMH 

Also, as usual, you're missing the point. This bug has gone unfixed for 6 days (longer, because it existed before it was reported). Your users now have unprofessional looking, incorrect post counts (sometimes with a negative number) and instead of providing us with this stopgap tool to fix it while we're waiting for you to fix the bug, you want to waste my time arguing about why you can't provide this tool. Ridiculous. 

• Management

My 2c,

I'm not sure why it would be needed as its a temporary solution to a problem, reporting counting bugs so they can be fixed would mean you don't have to keep running such a tools and I'm sure a recount would happen in the upgrade routine if such a bug is fixed? 

Yes exactly.

Also Charles, why don't you address the bigger issue about IPS 4.x still being beta software? It's so bug riddled, that you expect us to spend our days documenting and reporting bugs that should have never existed in an end-user product in the first place. Some bugs are unavoidable, I understand. The amount of bugs since release is so bad, that now I understand why you're inconveniencing and forcing us to report them. You know it wasn't properly tested, and you're making us pay for the privilege of beta testing and reporting bugs. Your obstinate avoidance of requests and snarky responses makes clear to me the direction you want to go with this.

Archived