Where are the rebuild & recount tools?

ehku

Buried in the past. According to IPS, you don't need them now 'cause things are built in a different way.

​Well this is absurd because if you change the settings in ACP to allow hyperlinks in posts, the only way to update links in old posts (that are presently just text) is to rebuild old posts. There must surely be a way to trigger the manual rebuilding of posts. If there isn't then it's a gross miscalculation by the software architects.

​Well this is absurd because if you change the settings in ACP to allow hyperlinks in posts, the only way to update links in old posts (that are presently just text) is to rebuild old posts. There must surely be a way to trigger the manual rebuilding of posts. If there isn't then it's a gross miscalculation by the software architects.

​Actually there's "a quick update cache stuff" on ACP. Go to System tab -> Support -> Something isn't working correctly -> Continue. After run, it says:

Sometimes badly cached data can cause problems. We have cleared all cached data, please check and see if your problem has been resolved.

I just don't know which ones.

​There's no setting to allow or disallow hyperlinks in posts. Never has been :) 

Well you could not allow certain URLs but they would have been rejected (not as plaintext) - so there's nothing to be rebuilt if you then decide to start allowing them.

If you decided to stop allowing URLs which had been previously allowed, then yeah, you'd need to edit them out manually. Presumably you would only add something to that list in response to a specific post though.

The problem is that during upgrade, the post rebuild started by itself. This did not give me the opportunity to chech the settings in the new ACP. All images that were previously attachments in the old forum have now been converted to plaintext links. I now need to re-run the rebuild posts function so that plaintext image links are parsed and shown as images in posts.

So, to restate my question, is it or is it not possible to re-run the post rebuild? I need to do this so that images that were previously attachments are no longer plaintext links, the post install rebuild made them that way because the above settings page was set that way when the post install rebuild happened . . .

I don't want them that way.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that during upgrade, the post rebuild started by itself. This did not give me the opportunity to chech the settings in the new ACP. All images that were previously attachments in the old forum have now been converted to plaintext links. I now need to re-run the rebuild posts function so that plaintext image links are parsed and shown as images in posts.

So, to restate my question, is it or is it not possible to re-run the post rebuild? I need to do this so that images that were previously attachments are no longer plaintext links, the post install rebuild made them that way because the above settings page was set that way when the post install rebuild happened . . .

I don't want them that way.

I'm in the same situation. Not only image links but also ​Smilies, Quotes, BBCode, Attachments, etc... are not shown correctly in my forum and I absolutely need to rebuild the posts :sad:

• 4 months later...

Recount tools would be good.

For example, I have a forum category which says it contains one post. But actually it's empty. That one post was spam that a moderator deleted. The title of the spam is still visible on the parent page. Another forum says it contains one hidden post. But it doesn't. That post too has long since been moved and/or deleted.

I'm guessing that manual recounts shouldn't be necessary because the system should automatically keep the counts in sync. Great in theory, but trouble is, it doesn't always work in practice. So sometimes a manual refresh is required to straighten out the counts that have gone wrong.

• Management

Recount tools would be good.

For example, I have a forum category which says it contains one post. But actually it's empty. That one post was spam that a moderator deleted. The title of the spam is still visible on the parent page. Another forum says it contains one hidden post. But it doesn't. That post too has long since been moved and/or deleted.

I'm guessing that manual recounts shouldn't be necessary because the system should automatically keep the counts in sync. Great in theory, but trouble is, it doesn't always work in practice. So sometimes a manual refresh is required to straighten out the counts that have gone wrong.

In this case we would rather fix the bug that caused that to happen than put in a recount tool that would just hide the problem.

I have a forum that has -1 posts after moving a topic to a different forum. When I created another topic in the forum it when to 0. Since there are no recount tools to recount the total posts in a forum it just stays behind.

I have a forum that has -1 posts after moving a topic to a different forum. When I created another topic in the forum it when to 0. Since there are no recount tools to recount the total posts in a forum it just stays behind.

In this case, I would suggest submitting either a bug report or ticket outlining the steps taken so we can fix the underlining issue and fix your site. :)

we would rather fix the bug

Possibly there is no bug and the mismatched counts arise due to something which is outside the control of the IPS software.

For example, maybe problems with the server hardware, or with the MySQL/Apache/Linux stack, or a misbehaving plugin.

If you don't want to clutter the ACP with unnecessary tools, maybe have a recount script run automatically and silently in the background.

Possibly there is no bug and the mismatched counts arise due to something which is outside the control of the IPS software.

For example, maybe problems with the server hardware, or with the MySQL/Apache/Linux stack, or a misbehaving plugin.

If you don't want to clutter the ACP with unnecessary tools, maybe have a recount script run automatically and silently in the background.

If it is beyond the scope of the software, why should the software account for it? No, I'd actually prefer there not be server-intensive tools available to hide bugs with.

Problems with the server hardware/software that would result in such are quite exceedingly rare(as in, nonexistent.....), and a misbehaving plugin is very frankly not their problem.

Four people in this thread have the same problem.

They would all like to see it fixed, one way or another.

What is your suggestion for them?

Submit a ticket. That is the correct course of action. If there is a bug, it can be found and fixed. If not, it's easily enough resolved with a query. Providing tools within the software to allow people to avoid submitting a ticket to have the cause investigated is quite literally not on the table.

If it's "easily resolved with a query", that query should be built into the software as standard.

DB maintenance via tickets adds unnecessary work for both the forum operators, and the IPS support staff.

Those tools provide endless versions with bugs people just ignore and use said tools to rectify. Proven fact throughout the 3.x line. Also, things like this being fixed as needed is one of the things you pay for support for. Further, I say 'simple query', but in reality, it could be anything from a simple query to a complex 'fix script' depending on the exact issue(there have been several in this topic). Trust me when I say, if it becomes an issue with support load, a script will be written and used on demand by staff, or a KB issued with a script to rectify that exact bug. IPS does know what they are doing with this move, like it or not.

I don't pay support anything. I've bought a license to install the software, and that's all.

I'd rather the vendor not have to log in to my server to fix things.

Then you are going to have a very tough time of it. When you bought the license, you got six months of support for free. I would strongly suggest you use it, there are many times an issue crops up that is dependent on one's exact server configuration to reproduce. They do not control the hardware. If you won't even let them log in to investigate, much less correct issues you complain about here, I'm not sure what to say. :/

Archived