Where is the members list ?

Flo44

I've never really seen a member list being used for anything other than what was mentioned. Spam. Admins still have access to a full list of members through the ACP as well, if that's an issue.

​So isn't this a great opportunity for IPB to jump out in the lead with some innovation and make a really cool member list that is actually useful?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you've mentioned is a really cool way to search for and filter members based off of specific criteria. Which I really like. And it's possible to do currently with what IPS has provided for us in their software, but would definitely take some time to implement.

​So isn't this a great opportunity for IPB to jump out in the lead with some innovation and make a really cool member list that is actually useful?

​Not sure how a member list(in any implementation) would be innovative. I'd rather them put more effort into something like IP Chat then trying to evolve a memberlist that most either don't use or were unaware had been removed.

As said above, this sounds like something a good 3rd party developer should make. People already complain that IPB is 'bulky' and has too much of this or that, so perhaps this is good.

What about finding friends, connections, people to talk to.
A forum has been about finding topics to talk about, what about finding people to talk with about topics?

Not saying that people don't but I have never been compelled to find someone randomly through the member list. I usually "Friend/Follow" someone based on their posts, gallery, garage (in my forum's case), etc... I never have randomly found someone's profile without something prompting it on one of the main applications.

​I think those are good ideas. I am not faulting you for that and it sounds lovely...for a social network oriented forum/type of site.

The psychology behind forums is a close knit community surrounded by a particular niche/topic that the forum itself is about. Most people who join forums are not there to sort through criteria like that. Most people view forums as a plaace for discussion with a close circle of friends. If they go to meet new people, it's not based on last online or gender or whatever.

I just don't see how your suggestions(as good as they are) really are indicative of something that needs to be focused on right now. This is something that a great developer should work on and that way they can expand it far beyond just a normal member list.

I would just give an example to illustrate why a member list could be  interesting for members :

On my forum (not open yet i'm waiting ips 4 :P ) i have added customs profile field like "favorite philosophers". A member interested by a philosopher would maybe check out in the member list to see who is interested by the same philosopher than him and then pm or chat with him. etc...

I would just give an example to illustrate why a member list could be very funny for members :

On my forum (not open yet i'm waiting ips 4 :P ) i have added custom profile field like "favorite philosophers". A member interested by a philosopher would maybe check out in the member list to see who is interested by the same philosopher than him and then pm or chat with him. etc...

​Perhaps something like a hashtag search for favorite philosophers

#Plato

would work?

​Maybe you've never done this because traditionally the member list has been so poor.

​Eh, it's more I like to interact with the user through posts/comments/etc.. rather than going straight to talking to them. I like to build that sort of "bond" prior to engaging them in PM's or what-have-you. That's just sort of been internet etiquette to me, unless I have something urgent to say to them.

​Eh, it's more I like to interact with the user through posts/comments/etc.. rather than going straight to talking to them. I like to build that sort of "bond" prior to engaging them in PM's or what-have-you. That's just sort of been internet etiquette to me, unless I have something urgent to say to them.

​I am the same way.

I'd probably be like "Who the heck is this dude randomly messaging me?" if some random users messaged me. I say the same thing when I get random people on FB doing that lol. Most people don't want random people they've never spoken to messaging them out of the blue.

​I am the same way.

I'd probably be like "Who the heck is this dude randomly messaging me?" if some random users messaged me. I say the same thing when I get random people on FB doing that lol. Most people don't want random people they've never spoken to messaging them out of the blue.

​Exactly. I have it set on Facebook that non-friends can't message me (or it goes in another folder, forget) but am the same way when I receive a friend request.

Even the few PM's I've received from members here, on this forum, have been ones that I've interacted within a topic.

It's just usually on forum (especially one like mine) mostly everyone has the same interests, there are public ways to say "I like your car" (again my forum reference) and whole bunch of other topics. I am more for improving the activity feed and including profile updates in that. As if profile updates were included in that I saw that "so-and-so" just got married or something profile related I may comment "congrats!" but that's as far as I'd go.

Look at this ridiculous case: I have a test board where some power users are testing my translations.

Capturar.thumb.PNG.5a158126d8f171b0a4784

Me and more 2 users was testing. Now another one registered and it isn't Saulo in this picture. It was someone before him.

What do I have to do to know who registered ? Go to ACP! Where ? Member list on ACP! :sweat:

And that with only 4 members!

​No, as it has been pointed out and linked several times already. That ACP list is also available on the front end:

http://community.invisionpower.com/search/?type=core_members&sortby=joined&sortdirection=desc&page=1

​It doesn't work, if you look close. I select MEMBERS in content type, then Members in Group, then I change the filter on results screen and I got 15,864 pages with members from all groups. Not to mention the time to load the results (5s).

Will all this time and steps, it's faster to go to ACP or create a quick widget to list latest X members, etc. I will do it.

No, you go to Advanced Search, select MEMBERS in content type, then Members in Group.

​I did not do that to create that link. You can access the list by simply selecting Members in the search bar in the header. No need to go to the advanced search first or select member groups. 

And if that area is important to your community you can simply make that link available someone on your site. That’s all I am saying. 

​I did not do that to create that link. You can access the list by simply selecting Members in the search bar in the header. No need to go to the advanced search first or select member groups. 

And if that area is important to your community you can simply make that link available someone on your site. That’s all I am saying. 

​I see. Not very clever to load (here on IPS) 396,598 records only to see the latest X registered members. :)

Tks anyway, I'm working on a widget.

EDIT: btw, I'm not requesting to IPS add this to the sofware.

​Maybe but not sure if that system is totally at 100% yet.

​Why not flush it out more to make it more to more than just a listing and such, loading some quick data in there so it makes it more than just a listing of user.

​I don't think that is not just the root point of it all. Maybe it was back in 2010 with the main focus of all the software and internet at the time. But I think it more if this is truly a community suite. Than find many ways to find content, find people, find connecting should be a core focus. Currently the focus just mostly been how to find content. It also the people, maybe being up random areas or suggests from other parts of the software to little places to help expose user to things that never really good. An example would be if someone only hangs out in the forum but really see the gallery other than having an block that shows a random users picture maybe have some little pieces of the user in the profile box in the forums like a small image sample. But to sum it up your trying to build something that is more than just forums, so the way of thinking has to change. Making things to simple is a good thing but can be a bad thing to. Having options for Admin (Owners) to choose how they like there board to be is a good choice. But also having to much is a problem as well. It's balance, but current from what I can see things have been step back to much,

I would agree here having more and expand on how to make it better is something I would like to see. Totally just getting rid of it and not really thinking it through may be a problem. May user whom have voice there thoughts here so far have more in favor of getting rid of it. But, why? Just to be clicking on people to view content are randomly trying to find someone? No, I think a better way to look at it, is to see how one can improve it in way so that it not just the old way just viewing user and expand it to help others find someone. Another way one can think of is I'm looking for some user and I have an idea on how to spell there name. A search will only get me close to find the user than listing it. In a list I know what I'm looking for when I see it not just how it spell so that another thought.​

​Xenforo nor Woltlab have a member list :)

​People usually don't choose their software by what they don't have but by what they have. VB already tried that stunt on 4.0 and there was a cry through the community, so they put it back in. No idea how 5.0 is, but since most power users left the boat with 4.0 it doesn't really matter anymore anyway for that dead software.

I can't really say, that I use this function each day, nor each week, but I use it. ZakRhyno gave a good example of why I use it, but I also agree with superj707. It could be a lot more than just that.

​I guess that begs the question: what is the root purpose of a community software like ours?

Is it finding people or finding content?

​5 years ago my community was focused on finding content. Today it became more of finding people (because I lack behind with the structure of the content :(). 5 years ago my members used my forum to share their art or get new informations on products, today they also use it to make friends, organize expositions and real life meetings with people which share the same interests as them. A reason why they all called for functions like a member map, to see which people live near them, so they know who they can meet in real life. The internet is a network of links, not so long ago it linked content, but today it also links people and their lives.

The members list technically isn't even gone though, so I'm not seeing the problem. The search functions exactly as a members list would depending on how you're filtering it. You can even take it one step further and rewrite the ugly search URL to /members/ if you wanted to and put it in your site's navigation.

What superj707 recommended would be cool, I really like that idea. But it's not a members list. Technically, it would still work off of the search feature. We'd just style it differently.

The topic quickly went from wanting a members list to wanting a better way to search for members.

Archived