Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

Woodsman, thank you for hour procedure and your assistance.  I'm glad that this script I had to bypass appears to not impact the upgrade process.  Seems to be working well and I'm very happy.  

Does anyone know if a shout box like application is in the works for 4.0?  Going to miss that if it is not.  I looked at the applications available and didn't see it.  Yes, I know it is still pretty early in the process but hoping to see it before transitioning from current 3.4.7 to 4.0.  

Two questions:

1) Is it possible to update from 3.4.5 to 4.0?

2) Is UTF-8 the default charset encoding in 4.0, or UTF-8 MB4? (I already have the database in UTF-8 encoding since years ago.. not sure if i need to encode it to utf8mb4..)

Thanks

1. It should work just fine... I have been using this exact procedure for years from 2.0 thru 3.4.7 and now IPS 4.0.

2. On mine I converted both ways and to be honest I am seeing no difference. But then again I am not using any of the apps and languages where utf-8 MB4 is actually needed. But just to be the devils advocate and to see if they worked I did them both then reported any and all errors I ran into.

1. It should work just fine... I have been using this exact procedure for years from 2.0 thru 3.4.7 and now IPS 4.0.

OK, so i'll update right from 3.4.5 instead of losing time doing the 3.4.5 to 3.4.7 conversion and then to 4.0...

2. On mine I converted both ways and to be honest I am seeing no difference. But then again I am not using any of the apps and languages where utf-8 MB4 is actually needed. But just to be the devils advocate and to see if they worked I did them both then reported any and all errors I ran into.

​Me too! Indeed i was one of the guys that had some trouble as i tried utf8mb4 (i've just moved to centOS now but  previously, it seemed that php in windows server 2012 seemed favor utf8mb4 somehow despite iPB not supporting it.. i had to disable punctuated logins in order to everything run smoothly with just UTF-8).

So, I tried to follow these instructions only slightly modified because I don't want to make a test site. I want to convert my real site to 4.0. I couldn't see any instructions on this site anywhere for people who want to do that. Here's what I tried to do instead.

1. checked compatibility using script - passed

2. Converted to UTF8 -finished successfully.

3. moved all but " downloads, public, screenshots and uploads and my conf_global.php file"  the to the _347 folder

4. Copied 4.0RC3 files to root

5. went to my site and got an error.. 

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.     

What did I do wrong? Can anyone help? Shouldn't there be an install script running or something when I get to my site?

Please help, thank you :)

if you have .htaccess you may need to change the paths if you are operating in a different directory then the live site.

​Thanks but I am not operating in a different directory than live site. This is my live site. That's what I was saying, I am trying to update my live site. I don't want a test site. Where are the instructions for just using the bloody thing for folks who don't want to screw around with test sites?

This system will work as a site upgrade as well as using it for a test application. For most sites that have been around for a time still need to go through all the steps on skin and application removal / disableing. It is also good practice to do all the database updating steps as well

Yes where Nathan pointed out, When converting / upgrading you need  to do the upgrade in this fasion. (example)  http://example.com/forum/admin/upgrade/.

Never use install in an upgrade.

Seems you may be having an issue with permissions with IPS Licensing.... I would submit a ticket and have them look int this.

I remember having this error in the beginning where my localhost was renamed testboard .com for web page design and the name testboard.com had their licensing bot in an uproar.

hallo

are there instructions on what to copy from a 3.4.7 to 4.0.0 board so that no orphaned files stick around? Currently I copy the old board and gallery files, then copy the IPS4 files over them and upgrade.

But I assume that leaves some 3.4.7 files around that are no longer needed?

So if I want to do a more minimalistic upgrade to a new location or make sure nothing is left behind that can be deleted:

• I dump and re-import the database
  • install all new ips4 files
  • copy the uploads folder?
  • copy the gallery images

and thats it?

Thanks!

Did also test upgrade, seems to go without any problem.

Can acces adminpanel, still a lot of background processing board looks ok, (visiting as guest) however when I try to login:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32 bytes) in /....../forum/system/Patterns/ActiveRecord.php on line 271

Something wrong in settings? Or do a have to wait until background processes are ready? Can make ticket but it's testforum so not in a hurry yet :) 

Background ready still same error

hallo

are there instructions on what to copy from a 3.4.7 to 4.0.0 board so that no orphaned files stick around? Currently I copy the old board and gallery files, then copy the IPS4 files over them and upgrade.

But I assume that leaves some 3.4.7 files around that are no longer needed?

So if I want to do a more minimalistic upgrade to a new location or make sure nothing is left behind that can be deleted:

• I dump and re-import the database
  • install all new ips4 files
  • copy the uploads folder?
  • copy the gallery images

and thats it?

Thanks!

​The only files yo need to copy over (If you do not have Downloads or Nexus) are the public, uploads and conf_global.php.

If you have Downloads you will also need these folders to be added. downloads and screenshots. You will also need to re setup your (Nexus) Commerce Support settings If you have Nexus. All the rest are rebuilt from the Sql database.

Did also test upgrade, seems to go without any problem.

Can acces adminpanel, still a lot of background processing board looks ok, (visiting as guest) however when I try to login:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32 bytes) in /....../forum/system/Patterns/ActiveRecord.php on line 271

Something wrong in settings? Or do a have to wait until background processes are ready? Can make ticket but it's testforum so not in a hurry yet :) 

Background ready still same error

Are you doing this on a local test or live test?

At first glance It would appear to be a php.ini memory setting need to be reset to minimum of 64meg. 156 prefered.

You may want to submit a ticket seeing your error is memory related where they could give you better guidance.

On a testsite, never go live on your active board without testing :)

Submitted ticket and seems to be a real problem.

Answer I have received:

We've reviewed your request and unfortunately, it is going to require further investigation. I've escalated your ticket, and it will be addressed as quickly as possible. Because of the advanced nature of your request, please note that it may take longer than usual to fully address your concern. I apologize for this delay and appreciate your patience.

Will keep you updated. No hurry testsite, will update active site when there is a final release and testsite is upgrading without problems.

On a testsite, never go live on your active board without testing :)

Submitted ticket and seems to be a real problem.

Answer I have received:

Will keep you updated. No hurry testsite, will update active site when there is a final release and testsite is upgrading without problems.

No Doing this on a live board is not something I would advise quite yet. My question to you may not have been clear as I was asking if this test site was on a live domain somewhere or on your local machine in the way of Wamp or some other testing software.

Glad to see you are getting this resolved.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

​The only files yo need to copy over (If you do not have Downloads or Nexus) are the public, uploads and conf_global.php.

If you have Downloads you will also need these folders to be added. downloads and screenshots. You will also need to re setup your (Nexus) Commerce Support settings If you have Nexus. All the rest are rebuilt from the Sql database.

​Thanks!

Is the whole public folder required? Thats on of those folders that contain themes and images and stuff that I would think most of it is no longer used after an upgrade to IPS4?

Solved, looks I did something wrong with backup :cry:

So my bad, better not an IPB problem :)  and was live indeed, not on a local machine like C drive.

(but not visible for every one, site behind username / password.  its a test site)

This should be fixed now. You actually had a forum which was a parent of itself. Specifically, this forum ....

Oh asked if I did something wrong but maybe was result of upgrade, next answer:

It's possible you may run into this, yes. I can fix it for you, however I would need up to date admin login credentials for the live site to do this.

So when updrading live site always handy to keep IPB in the background :)