Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0 (updated)

43 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Anyone from IPS support: does the client needs to submit a ticket to update his test board ? He doesn't want to update the main board before test it on a test install.

@Jim M @Rhett @Mark H, etc.

System check and ensure that PHP and MySql are in spec. Seems they're attempting to do something not permitted

1 hour ago, AndyF said:

IDK if its a lot of help but I've seen that (or similar) when trying to use an elderly 3x version on a high php / mysql version... You may want to add what versions of these are currently in use. :)

Php 7.0.14.

46 minutes ago, Jim M said:

System check and ensure that PHP and MySql are in spec. Seems they're attempting to do something not permitted

Everything was green checked in first step of upgrade.

I have not completed one single successful upgrade with PHP 7 as the version before IPS4 is actually in place. All my test upgrades (I've done way too many at this point) that complete successfully are on PHP 5.x, none on PHP 7.x are successful.

While PHP is suitable for running IPS 4.1, it may not be (I'd say "isn't") suitable for an upgrade from 3.4 to 4.1 at all.

Suggestion: lower down to a PHP version that is supported with 3.4 then perform the upgrade (or even do the test change via phpmyadmin) Once done, go to PHP 7.0.x

Edited by Nathan Explosion

Running 3.4. Want to finally upgrade to 4.

My server is running ubuntu 12.04LTS. I am using default repos, so my versions of apache and php are quite dated (albeit continue to receive security updates backported under the lts program).

What is the best strategy to go from 12.04LTS (php 5.3, apache 2.2) to 16.04LTS (php 7, apache 2.4)? My plan was to spin up a new VPS with a fresh ubuntu install, get it set up properly with current updates, and then copy over my web files and database and run the converter. However, I understood from a few other threads here that perhaps it wouldnt be the smartest decision to run conversion of 3.4 under php7. 

How did other people do a major OS update at the same time as a jump from 3.4 - 4?

I also have a number of tables in MYISAM - does the converter take care of changing over to INNODB, or do I have to do that manually. If manually, ... how?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 6:55 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

I have not completed one single successful upgrade with PHP 7 as the version before IPS4 is actually in place. All my test upgrades (I've done way too many at this point) that complete successfully are on PHP 5.x, none on PHP 7.x are successful.

While PHP is suitable for running IPS 4.1, it may not be (I'd say "isn't") suitable for an upgrade from 3.4 to 4.1 at all.

Suggestion: lower down to a PHP version that is supported with 3.4 then perform the upgrade (or even do the test change via phpmyadmin) Once done, go to PHP 7.0.x

Maybe I'm understanding you wrong, but I just upgraded 3.4.9 on nginx running 7.1.1 didn't have a single issue - it's running on my dev server.  I'm using stock centmin mod.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of upgrading, from version 3.4.8 to the latest version, I hve upload and overwritten all the files as per the instructions but before I even start the upgrade process I have the following error:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /mounted-storage/home114c/sub007/sc18250-QDIV/www/index.php on line 13

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /mounted-storage/home114c/sub007/sc18250-QDIV/www/index.php on line 13

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /mounted-storage/home114c/sub007/sc18250-QDIV/www/index.php on line 13

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...

I am running a test upgrade of 3.4.9 to 4.1.19. This test install is in a sub directory of the forums I'm testing this upgrade on. I just got everything installed and it ran all the background processes. I click on the forums and then tried to sign in and it said it couldn't find that page. Anyone know what I need to check? I turned off FURL and mod rewrite on my 3.4.9 forums and still the same.

Nevermind, fixed my own problem by turning off FURL on the new installation.

Edited by Vanrau

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to upgrade my forum to the latest version -we're on PHP 5.6 -- and right at the start the Upgrader just did after awhile due to PHP timeout because the first step simply take too long. I can see the following in MySQL:

Execute | 2391 | optimizing   | /*IPS\_Application::installDatabaseUpdates:413*/ SELECT count(*) FROM `ibf_core_log` AS `core_log`   |

When I try to resume the upgrade when they process is done, it simply does the same thing as if it does not realize that it already did that query. Any suggestions for how to tell it to proceed?

ETA: I see the problem. For some reason the log has over 20 million rows. Going to delete most of them and see what happens.

Edited by Linda A

upgraded my test board from 3.4 to 4 last night

the postrebuild etc took over 12hours which is ridiculous for a 2m post forum

is there any guide for what files can be removed after the upgrade to do a cleanup of the redundant 3.4 files?

On 2017-04-29 at 0:24 PM, Ant__ said:

is there any guide for what files can be removed after the upgrade to do a cleanup of the redundant 3.4 files?

No guide that I know of, but you can compare the directories of a clean ips4 install (just check the zip) and your own site and wipe out the directories that don't exist at all in ips4, as well as the root files that don't exist. 

On 4/29/2017 at 8:24 PM, Ant__ said:

upgraded my test board from 3.4 to 4 last night

the postrebuild etc took over 12hours which is ridiculous for a 2m post forum

There is a guide for that and I can confirm that it worked for me:

Hello fellow forum owners, 

I want to share details of my experience with the upgrade process, so that it can help others who might face same problems as I had. My forum has about 90k topics and 1.9M posts, dating from March 2005. till now (https://forum.bjbikers.com). 

About 10 days ago I ran the upgrade process (it took about 9 hrs to finish) and even though I have followed the instructions precisely, I had to rerun it because charser wasn't converted properly. Second time I have ran the db convert utility from the command line and then it worked. Here is that screen and the cli command is the one at the bottom:

57593a0009da0_ScreenShot2016-06-09at10.1

Mind you though that this DB conversion utility did not look the same as in the screen above, IPS should update their Running the upgrade instruction page.

After the upgrade process finished for the second time, my community was up, but the problems have just emerged in the form of background rebuilding stuff tasks. It was running those tasks very slowly even though I have used cron tasks. My community runs on a dedicated server with decent hardware (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM, 2x2TB SATA HDD in RAID-1). However, cron tasks were doing very little dent to the background tasks progress, while at the same time my community was extremely unresponsive, with load times over 20 seconds. Progress for rebuilding posts was like 2 hours for just 1%. My sys admin has convered all tables to InnoDB, switched to the latest version of MariaDB, upgraded PHP to v7.0 etc, but very little improvement happened. It seems that Rebuilding Posts task is using disk extensively, which on my server was completelly stalling other db operations. Then we found the mysql setting which improved things significantly. 

The param which improved the background task progress is the innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit, in conjuction with the update of innodb-log-file-size param from 1G to 256M. We changed the innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit from default value of 1, to 2. It improved write speed significantly, changing the progress from 2hrs for just 1% to 20% done in just 1hr. It did cause one db crash, but overall it was a life saver. Here is the info about that parameter from MySQL documentation.

Now the community is running smoothly, but there are some issues with several users not being able to log in. Hopefully I will resolve this with IPS Support. 

Just one final note. I am quite disappointed with IPS Support during this upgrade process. I have asked for their help in terms of advices, but all I was getting as their response were some generic replies like íts not us, its your server etc'. I understand that it was my server setting, but I was hoping that IPS support engineers could point me in the right direction when it comes to server configuration, especially db server. If I didn't spent like 2-3 days constantly trying to figure out why that db was performing so poorly, while having my community offline, my community would take a significant hit and I would have probably given up on IPS software by now. I think that it is reasonable to expect that IPS support is able and willing to share advices on what are the common settings which can significantly affect the server performance since from what I can see, IPS4.X requires significantly more hardware resources than IP.Board 3.4.x. 

In any case, I hope that my experience can help someone still holding on to the v3.4 and planning to upgrade to v4.x. :)

Edited by Pablo BJB

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, media said:

I have a question.

My board is on 3.4.9 and I am planning to upgrade to 4.2.3. It is a high traffic board.

My question is while upgrading how can I stop public access to the board?

I do not want any problem?

Well, you can turn your forum off and display a message for maintenance.

You really should consider setting up a development site, getting a copy of your current forum up and running in that development environment, then upgrading the development version to see what breaks in going from 3.4.9 to 4.2.x - the post conversion as well as the database conversion alone can take a long time depending on how big your forum is.

Once you've got everything ironed out in the development environment, you now have an idea what to watch out for when converting your live site.

I'd also recommend communicating this change well in advance to your community so they are prepared for any downtime.

On 19/09/2017 at 1:32 PM, media said:

I know how to move my 3.4.9 to a new test folder

Question: How do you move 4.2.4  test version to live board folder?

I need help (please step by step)?

What area that I need to change

If asking once moved folder to your live site all need do change conf_global.php and once done that login via Admin and run the support tool to resolve the few issue with the files store in datastore.

• 2 weeks later...