-=[ IPS4 Chill Pill ]=-

jaeitee

-=[ Chill Pill ]=-

Some of us (including myself) purchased a license to be able to test IPS4.  We all downloaded well within the knowledge that we were testing BETA software and accepted that as part of our decision.  A few people seem to be getting a little heated in some of the threads here and in the bug reports about downloading a new version and being hit by bugs.  Yes it's frustrating, yes it's annoying, however it's a problem that we all volunteered for.  So if you find yourself getting a little heated under the collar then step back, relax, come back in a week and play with the RC versions instead which will be supported. Life's short, weekends are shorter, step out and enjoy it.

I can assure you that literally no one purchased a license to "test IPS4." Nor did anyone renew for $25-$105 to "volunteer" as a beta tester. Everyone who bought a license early did so because they wanted to finally get started on development after 18 months of delays. If there are bugs standing in the way of that, I'm not going to be the one that tells them how they should feel about it.

I can assure you that literally no one purchased a license to "test IPS4." Nor did anyone renew for $25-$105 to "volunteer" as a beta tester. Everyone who bought a license early did so because they wanted to finally get started on development after 18 months of delays. If there are bugs standing in the way of that, I'm not going to be the one that tells them how they should feel about it.

​But complaining about  A BETA which should be expected to have tons of bugs is fine...until you start bashing the software while it is in the beta stage. I'd at least wait until we got to RC stage before I started being ready to flip out over everything lol.

The problem I've notice people have is not the complaining. It's the...lack of constructive complaining. 9 times out of 10 when I see a complaint, it's like the sky is falling instead of just stating the problem and helping to find a good fix or bringing it to the attention of the devs.

This is why I could never work in customer service LOL.

I only recently came back to IPS at the end of October last year but if I were renewing, I would renew for 3.X benefits because that is the software I am using. IP chat and Spam Monitoring and access to the support forums. Having access to the beta and future RC builds and hopefully by April official copy of IPb4 is simply a by-product. It is almost as silly as those who got mad because THEY CHOSE to renew their licenses last year based off a projective release date originally for IPB4. And then complained about it and place blame on the company as if renewing was obligatory.

• Management

We have also spent a lot of time reworking things already done based on real-world use. It's unfortunate that sometimes the best ideas are ruined when people start using it for real :lol: but we also enjoy the challenge of changing things to make it better. Specifically the theme and plugin system are much improved from feedback based on people trying to create real themes and plugins. It's like a scientist getting his experiment out to the lab into a practical use.

I for one appreciate all the work the IPS staff have done are doing and will continue to do, to make V4 a great version. Beta software is what it is, still in development and users testing the software, supplying feedback and improvements being done based on that feedback.

I know that IPS will be just as frustrated with the bugs that appear but it is beta software (verging on RC) - I know that once released if I went to upgrade my community to V4 and encountered a bug whilst upgrading, I would be asking why this wasn't picked up. At the end of the day, this will keep peoples communities offline until a ticket is raised and the issue dealt with by IPS. So I understand some of the other clients frustration (although I'm not going to join them by venting any, I don't have any frustration - just anticipation on the release).

However, in saying that. IPS will not release a version of software that is not ready - I look forward to the release version and upgrading our community to it and will continue to assist IPS and the community by feeding back bugs I encounter.

Bottom line is, it's beta and it will be ready when it's ready and give the team the appropriate time to fine tune things.

-=[ Chill Pill ]=-

Some of us (including myself) purchased a license to be able to test IPS4.  We all downloaded well within the knowledge that we were testing BETA software and accepted that as part of our decision.  A few people seem to be getting a little heated in some of the threads here and in the bug reports about downloading a new version and being hit by bugs.  Yes it's frustrating, yes it's annoying, however it's a problem that we all volunteered for.  So if you find yourself getting a little heated under the collar then step back, relax, come back in a week and play with the RC versions instead which will be supported. Life's short, weekends are shorter, step out and enjoy it.

​Easy for someone to say when that person who has only turned in 1 bug report and just joined up instead of being an avid bug reporter or someone who's been through the entire beta phase and worked their tale off to report not only bugs but the same ones over and over and over. Let's look at reality..

Your assumption everyone volunteers first off is wrong... There's a difference in wanting to report a bug vs needing to get the software to be able to use it. It's already massively late and people lost a lot on the false time frame so if those people want the product faster they need to report bugs. Not that they want too, they need to, to get the product sooner and make up for lost time..

Did you forget about the developers who make a living off this product and have waited how long after the promised time frame, do you know if that's how they feed themselves? Your blanket statement of everyone doesn't cover myself or others nor have you experienced the reporting or community enough to make a educated comment imo.

Now let's look at your suggestion to take some time off from reporting.. There are only a handful of theme testers and only a handful of them have access to 2 licences. How buggy do you want your software in the final? Try taking away some of the important testers for a week here and there and find out how far real issues and the software release will fall behind.

Bottom line: This is crunch time and the software is late and everyone from IPB to the customer is losing money. People are going to get heated at times for several reasons from reporting the same bug over and over to the extreme late time frame the good customers of IPB have worked around. Be patient and thankful for these people and more patient than normal.

Funny how the customers/bug reporters that put food on peoples table and work their tales off to get this product out there hasn't been praised or thanked once in the general public like you have done for IPB. Funny how IPB hasn't made one post like the one you made here thanking individuals for their time and efforts. What do avid bug testers really get for what they do? We are offered nothing and get nothing for our efforts.

For our newbies and a fyi... Customers are just as much a part of this as IPB is, customers help make the product work and we keep this product alive.. Funny how the only thing you and some others can see is IPB working and no one else. Next time it wouldn't hurt for you to show some appreciation to the people on the other end for whom without it wouldn't be possible at all!

@csm

Easy for someone to say when that person who has only turned in 1 bug report and just joined up instead of being an avid bug reporter or someone who's been through the entire beta phase and worked their tale off to report not only bugs but the same ones over and over and over. Let's look at reality..

Regardless of bug reports, getting aggressive about IPS4 not being bug free when IPS openly states it's in beta makes his community contribution irrelevant, he's not wrong in the least. 

Your assumption everyone volunteers first off is wrong... There's a difference in wanting to report a bug vs needing to get the software to be able to use it. It's already massively late and people lost a lot on the false time frame so if those people want the product faster they need to report bugs. Not that they want too, they need to, to get the product sooner and make up for lost time..

Current purchases are for IP products including Board 3.4.7, those with active licenses have access to the open beta for self testing. Yes it is voluntary. You pay for IP.Board but have access to the new IPS Rework beta. As far as I know there's never been a promised release date so unless you can provide proof, I'm going to stand strong that you're making false accusations.

Did you forget about the developers who make a living off this product and have waited how long after the promised time frame, do you know if that's how they feed themselves? Your blanket statement of everyone doesn't cover myself or others nor have you experienced the reporting or community enough to make a educated comment imo.

As aforementioned unless you provide evidence of a promised time line, this entire argument is unreasonable. Those who make a living with IPS products are very fortunate indeed, however it's not up to IPS to do anything more than produce quality content and support their products, they offer excellent support already and sometimes quality takes a bit of an extra while; if you're any sort of developer you should know this.

Now let's look at your suggestion to take some time off from reporting.. There are only a handful of theme testers and only a handful of them have access to 2 licences. How buggy do you want your software in the final? Try taking away some of the important testers for a week here and there and find out how far real issues and the software release will fall behind.

There's a large abundance of users who poke around on all products, IPS has their own staff that proactively find and report bugs, the additional help speeds up the process as well, those few extra quality hands on deck speeds up the process sometimes ten-fold which is the purpose of an open beta, expecting an army of high-collaborative users that dedicate hours at a time specifically to finding bugs is wrong. It would be nice, but should not be expected. 

Bottom line: This is crunch time and the software is late and everyone from IPB to the customer is losing money. People are going to get heated at times for several reasons from reporting the same bug over and over to the extreme late time frame the good customers of IPB have worked around. Be patient and thankful for these people and more patient than normal.

They never promised a date, whole argument is irrelevant (unless otherwise proven).

Funny how the customers/bug reporters that put food on peoples table and work their tales off to get this product out there hasn't been praised or thanked once in the general public like you have done for IPB. Funny how IPB hasn't made one post like the one you made here thanking individuals for their time and efforts. What do avid bug testers really get for what they do? We are offered nothing and get nothing for our efforts.

They interact with the community frequently, the participate in a lot of the community powered topics and even posted in the real-life pictures topic. I myself (alongside many others) don't need any sort of 'appreciate' topic, we pay them and continue to offer my money their way because I know they've made a software I can get behind, the kind of website applications that I wouldn't want to work any other way (in most cases, otherwise simple tweaks I make myself) but above all, the fact you're at all unsatisfied because they haven't made some grand announcement to the paying customers is a little bit of an embarrassment on your part. It's a humbling experience, but expecting it just removes the genuine feeling of appreciation and replaces it with 'we did it to keep em' happy'. You shouldn't be too proud to have at all brought that up.

For our newbies and a fyi... Customers are just as much a part of this as IPB is, customers help make the product work and we keep this product alive.. Funny how the only thing you and some others can see is IPB working and no one else. Next time it wouldn't hurt for you to show some appreciation to the people on the other end for whom without it wouldn't be possible at all!

Absolutely they are, a major corporate leaders like Apple and Android (google included) wouldn't be where they are today if they didn't have customers with such loyalty and third-party developers that created the diversity needed for applications. Requesting appreciation is pathetic, IPS has delivered in many ways and ensured that we receive exactly what they advertise. We buy it because we wanted to, their software looked like the best option or the most reasonable purchase; you're not working tirelessly for some underpaying boss who shows no appreciation for you or your contribution, IPS is indirectly showing their appreciation by not closing up shop and continuing to push the limits with more and more updates, patches and they felt it would be best achieved with a complete rewrite, this is a huge undertaking and one that will be a peak moment for the future of IPS, I am confident about that. They interact with the community which acknowledges our existence, that's appreciation enough on it's own as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously, CSM, take a 

-=[ Chill Pill ]=-

lol :D

​I agree.

I haven't set up a test board. I'm not reporting bugs. I'm waiting until at least 4.02 or later before contemplating upgrading. I'm not losing money still running 3.4.7. I'm not stressed about ver 4. Life is good :)

Gees Mur, I'm seriously over here LMAO...  I don't think I've seen anyone here as disconnected as you as to what's going on.

On a side note..I like how people say to be chill when no one is un-chill. Like the cops saying stop resisting when the person isn't while being beaten. Sounds Like from your post Mur you need the chill pill and maybe something else for a added buffer..

3D Kiwi says I agree

Could we of expected anything different in a situation like this from you Kiwi?

Gees Mur, I'm seriously over here LMAO...  I don't think I've seen anyone here as disconnected as you as to what's going on.

On a side note..I like how people say to be chill when no one is un-chill. Like the cops saying stop resisting when the person isn't while being beaten. Sounds Like from your post Mur you need the chill pill and maybe something else for a added buffer..

3D Kiwi says I agree

Could we of expected anything different in a situation like this from you Kiwi?

​I fail to see how I'd be disconnected, if you want to explain your stance I'd be happy to consider whatever it is you seem to thing I don't recognize.

For me it is hard to get/stay excited about the product. Not because of IPS or the product itself because of naysayers with comments nitpicking this or that and the way they go about presenting said complaints is not  helpful in the least and is just..nitpicking. It's like on TAZ how 'big board' owners are ready to vilify IPS for not bending to their will to do what THEY want lol.

SMH.

@N4H  Forget about your weekend and your chill pills; you should be staying inside, guzzling down Red Bull, and reporting bugs.  

@csm I would have sent you an oversized "Thank You" card with glitter and pop-out letters, but I overdosed on my chill pill.  Oops.  

@Mur You can't argue with crazies.  But apparently you can beat them down into submission with police brutality.

Jokes aside and on a more serious note, I think every IPS customer can appreciate the following sentiments:

1. We've ALL patiently waited and waited some more, and renewed and renewed again, for IPS 4 to come along.  Arguing amongst ourselves isn't going to speed along the process.  What we can do, however, is provide constructive feedback and bug reports to the company.  
  2. As a community and as eventual admins and users of IPS 4 communities, we need to report bugs, both large and small.  Sitting idly by and not upgrading until later may work well for you individually, but it's terrible for the customer base as a whole.  (I'm looking at you @3DKiwi).    
  3. Lastly, I think it's important that we, as a community, do demonstrate our emotions - to a certain extent.  It means that we're demanding a better product; it means that we're constantly pushing the IPS developers to a higher standard; and most importantly, it means we deeply, passionately care about the experience for our communities, and that's a passion that we should never back down from.  How we go about channeling those emotions on these forums, however, can be a world of difference between creating a positive and forward looking community or dragging down one that's fallen into chaos.  I, personally, would rather be a part of a positive and helpful community.  Wouldn't you?  

problemsdemotivator.thumb.jpg.7c59dfca49

(Just when we thought the bug reports would be manageable, out comes Beta 7 and 7a.)  

For me it is hard to get/stay excited about the product. Not because of IPS or the product itself because of naysayers with comments nitpicking this or that and the way they go about presenting said complaints is not  helpful in the least and is just..nitpicking. It's like on TAZ how 'big board' owners are ready to vilify IPS for not bending to their will to do what THEY want lol.

SMH.

​Dorian, Dorian... Please leave this site alone. They did nothing here to be bashed on again. In all honesty if it wasn't for sites like TAZ there wouldn't be a second side of the story.

​Dorian, Dorian... Please leave this site alone. They did nothing here to be bashed on again. In all honesty if it wasn't for sites like TAZ there wouldn't be a second side of the story.

​I wasn't bashing,  I was stating my opinion(As you have). This same argument you are making is the same argument I've seen on TAZ therefore I made a comparison. There are developers on here, who DO offer criticism but they aren't looking for an "Appreciation thread" nor do they act entitled and the criticism they offer are actually constructive and well stated and not coming off as arrogant as some other developers.

As I said before, if you want to be heard...then be heard. State your purpose and make your point but lose the bite or people will tune you out as many in this thread(myself included) have.

And trust me, I would not want to consider that site a second side to anything related to IPb given their obvious preference for another software. It's highly biased, more so than even here.

• Management

Guys, let's not get personal. :) 

While some do get seemingly wound up over things they opted into, the flip side of that is IPS4 has faced significant delays and there's some genuine frustration all around. It's the nature of software development and I'm not sure any developer is immune from unforeseen circumstances and delays. That doesn't negate or even lessen the frustration, but we've learned and taken away a good amount from this development cycle and I'm confident you'll find the light at the end of the tunnel was worth the wait as the platform evolves into the next chapter. 

We appreciate the incredible patience, support and contribution to the cycle and product but again, let's not get personal or bring third party sites into the discussion.

Archived