Application Development 101

snugRugBug

I am in the process of learning to develop applications for IPB4. My current target is to create a 'Hello world' kind of application that allows the user to go to a page that says 'Hello world'. I have created an application, and poked around in it's developer center, but I have not yet even been able to access my 'blank' application.

Can someone please point me in the right direction in order to achieve a hello world application? Thanks

Sidenote: I don't want to create a page in the pages application. I want to learn to build more complex applications (ie migration scripts), and this is the first baby step.

​I cannot. I get a message saying 'We could not locate the item you are trying to view' (attached screen snippet). Should I contact IPB and ask them to add me there? I am a paying customer, so that might work? I am desperate for more developer-oriented resources. I was not even aware of this forum's existence.

Can you access this forum http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/442-contributor-chat/ ?

EDIT: Oh no, you don't have the CONTRIBUTOR badge. Well, submit any image package to Marketplace, like emoticons or logo or something... then you'll gain access to this forum. We have several topics there which will help you.​

I will try to contribute something.

Thanks @Adriano Faria 

This is precious info!

Why wouldn't tips on creating applications / hooks and add ons not be available to all licensed members without having to contribute to the marketplace? Doesn't make sense to me.

​Agreed. You would think you would want to allow access to that before submitting junk to the marketplace :unsure:

Why wouldn't tips on creating applications / hooks and add ons not be available to all licensed members without having to contribute to the marketplace? Doesn't make sense to me.

​I would have to agree but the forums could have been made for another reason than it turn in to something else.

There isn't any 'getting started' guide yet (word is it's coming), but have you read through the other developer docs? http://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/advanced-usage/development/

​Now that a star up idea! An starting guide on how to get in to it would work. From what source was this information come from? IPB itself or a customer making it?

Maybe because it's a CONTRIBUTORS center not a Client lounge, which already exists.

​There are some of us that like to do hooks for our own community. Someone like me who knows enough to get what I may need accomplished doesn't have the confidence or time to provide support to submit something for others to use.

There is no TIP or TUTORIAL on how to create hooks or apps. It's just a forum where we ask questions/support to IPS staff about our plugins or how to do something.

The ONLY and OFFICIAL documentation is provided by IPS:

There is no TIP or TUTORIAL on how to create hooks or apps. It's just a forum where we ask questions/support to IPS staff about our plugins or how to do something.

​I know there are the general coding help areas and the community suite support area but shouldn't I, an active client, have access to IPS or other member's discussion about plugins or how to do something even if I don't want to release it to the marketplace? That just seems counterproductive. In my experience, usually once you have an active "license" you are able to discuss these types of items with the company or fellow developers.

No, I don't think. I don't think you (or anybody else) need to know anything about a resource that you didn't buy. We have scripts, attachments, etc. We also discuss directly with IPS Management about piracy (yes, there are clients/members that distribute our plugins out there). So I don't think this kind of matter has nothing to do with the whole community. It is for the developers/contributors.

Anyway, do an official request to IPS. If they ask us, and they will have to, we will vote NO.

No, I don't think. I don't think you (or anybody else) need to know anything about a resource that you didn't buy. We have scripts, attachments, etc. We also discuss directly with IPS Management about piracy (yes, there are clients/members that distribute our plugins out there). So I don't think this kind of matter has nothing to do with the whole community. It is for the developers/contributors.

Anyway, do an official request to IPS. If they ask us, and they will have to, we won't allow.

​If it's JUST for contributors, I completely understand but asking developer questions and/or information that could help other developers, that's just stupid to not allow any active license developer have access.

Non developers can ask in two forums:

I already replied a lot of users when I can/know the answer. If he becomes a developer, then he will have the proper access to the forum. It's simple. It's just like the MEMBER (client with inactive license here), he can't access the CLIENT LOUNGE, afaik. No big deal. Do what it's needed to do to gain access.

Non developers can ask in two forums:

I already replied a lot of users when I can/know the answer. If he becomes a developer, then he will have the proper access to the forum. It's simple. It's just like the MEMBER (client with inactive license here), he can't access the CLIENT LOUNGE, afaik. No big deal. Do what it's needed to do to gain access.

​I think we have different definitions of "developer." I am a developer but I am not a contributor. So clearing up everything... The section you referenced above is just contributor information, not developer information.

IPS should allow clients "Read Only" access to the contributors forum.  At least clients would be able to read available development information and build something worthy of submitting to the marketplace.  Once they submit to the marketplace, then they'd have write access.  I don't think there would be any harm in giving clients read access - considering anyone could just upload a simple image pack and get access - not really a "high security" area.

IPS should allow clients "Read Only" access to the contributors forum.  At least clients would be able to read available development information and build something worthy of submitting to the marketplace.  Once they submit to the marketplace, then they'd have write access.  I don't think there would be any harm in giving clients read access - considering anyone could just upload a simple image pack and get access - not really a "high security" area.

​No - I disagree.

I hate to be blunt (No I don't) There are a few topics as Andriano has mentioned that are a bit sensitive to piracy issues for one. And unfortunatly we have them here in our own clients membership. Cotributors in Application development as well as design also add things (Coding wise) that are not intended for public view, again having to do with piracy in some cases. When you start finding your own work pirated you will understand.

***ADDED NOTE***

Also if this were the case we all would be allowed in any Admin forums with read only abilities.... Just Not Happening

Piracy topics are in a sub-forum in the Contributors Lounge, if that was really the main issue then that sub-forum could just be blocked off. It is not however the main issue.

There are plenty of topics there that the general public or the average client does not need to have access to. It is a development forum for people who have contributed to the marketplace. To be completely honest I don't even think the people who have only submitted one or two random emoticon packs or a couple forum badges to the marketplace should be granted easy access to the forum either. I've voiced my opinions on this in a previous topic.

Sometimes developers post copies of their (potentially paid/commercial) hooks/applications in development in that forum when asking for advice from other marketplace contributors. If this forum was open for everyone to access, we could not do that.

There are also some topics in there that really are of no concern to the average client in general. Such as discussions on the best way to price a hook, how obligated we are to provide free support to someone before we start charging for service, and other topics in general that are best kept between developers only.

IPS will be providing free documentation on developing hooks/applications for IP.Board and that should be enough to get anyone who wants to contribute to the marketplace started.

I agree -

There are many other reasons to keep it separate other than the piracy element.

My comment was on the most part to back Andriano on the piracy issue aspect just for one....

There are many topics, questions and answers for contributors discussion not needed to be expressed to the general public as you have shown.

Archived