Bug fix slow, releasedate?

NilsFMH

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asking for a release date is pretty bold these days. You might either get the usual answers ("We don't provide release dates, sorry." "When it is ready.", "Soon." - usually with an added TM, which isn't even funny anymore...) or you get butchert in disgrace because you dared to ask. :)

Joking apart, I read some staff posts here and there, saying that they are pretty confident to provide a Release Candidate next and then start to actively give support for IPS4. Sure, the more people use IPS4 the more bugs will show up, but that is to be expected and I think at some point one simply has to release a product (or at least call it being released, v1.0 etc.) and then continue to work on it. You need the feedback from a (even broader) user group. My guess is that it won't take longer then 2-3 more months until IPS4 is out (v1.0). I'll keep my fingers crossed...

A supported version would be awesome! I have a company that is currently waiting only for this software so I am trying to plan when to release. 2-3 months would be devastating I thought it would be released in Jan or Feb the latest when I bought it.

But a supported version could be very close (days or 1-2 weeks) away?

Hi,

Bug fixes seems to be performed slower than before. There are 5 pages of bugs and it is growing, why is this?

Is there any estimated release-date yet?

Regards,

Nils

​Bug fixes aren't slow. There are more fixed bugs and more reported bugs by users. That's good before first RC release to fix all bugs existing ;)

and there is nearly 4 pages bugs...can be fixed in just some days...

Here is one of the recent posts that does confirm that the RC version will be supported.

​Thats great!

​Bug fixes aren't slow. There are more fixed bugs and more reported bugs by users. That's good before first RC release to fix all bugs existing ;)

and there is nearly 4 pages bugs...can be fixed in just some days...

​I did not see the increase in bug-reports!

Lets hope a supported version is released soon:)

• Management

Dare I ask anything at all about Chat, either the get it to work version or the new multi-room version?

​We will have Chat available soon but unfortunately it will simply be a refactor of the current version.

We do plan on a bigger update to Chat later this year but it turned into a bigger engineering challenge than we are comfortable trying to shove into 4.0.0.

​We will have Chat available soon but unfortunately it will simply be a refactor of the current version.

We do plan on a bigger update to Chat later this year but it turned into a bigger engineering challenge than we are comfortable trying to shove into 4.0.0.

​@Charles Although that is great news, it leaves the question of whether it will be responsive along with the suite and how does it work on mobile devices?

It seems that even though there is a possibility of an RC next week, the software (particularly commerce and pages) seems far from ready for release.  I am still playing in Beta 6 and keep encountering project halting roadblocks.

​Same experience here .. PayPal Vault system could NOT be tested in Beta 5 - 5a - 5b & 6 ( 1 month ) .. Commerce Support system is still 50/50 .. Pages ..

The most unwise word used the last few months is "reproduce" .. although you can download whatever WAMP is available out there and reproduce it 10 times on different WAMP's or NGINX environments still you get get the "can't reproduce" label .. and awaiting 2 weeks for the next Beta .. you find or the bug is still there or it's getting a different taste of bug ..

Can it not been done IPS team .. before you launch a Beta just install it on a trustworthy WAMP .. and go through the basic stuff in admin .. add a forum, add a page, add a paypal setup, etc .. it takes all 30 minutes, that's what it took for me from Beta 5 till now to be stopped out in testing .. see if no immediately weird unnecessary bugs popup like example in Beta 6 with the Page templates & the PayPal API connection (again) ..

I think we are still "your customers" .. not "your testers" ..

I've send in a ticket with a portable WAMP+IPS4 download link that can reproduce 2-3 "can-not-reproduce-CLOSED-bugs" (almost 1 week now with no answer ) .. I'm running a NGINX on my production server, so I thought an Apache test wouldn't harm, same bugs came up that easy (Beta 6, those bugs are from Beta 4-5 already) .

Would it not be a great idea to get a portable "WAMP+IPS4"-ready-download for everyone with a 2 button-click-launch-the-damn-thing instruction ?

It's just a 55mb download max.

At least everyone would be on the same page talking about bugs ..

And the frustration dealing with "reproduce" .. FTP logins .. fiddling/hopping from one server to the other will drastically diminish ..

• Management

A lot has been fixed, specifically in commerce, since beta 6. It's critical to report any bugs right away. Unlike the other apps, Commerce is a bit more challenging as it doesn't get the usage that other apps do, so bug reports are slower and thus, fixes. 

As for WAMP - a few devs develop solely on WAMP, so it's obviously tested. :) Different uses, different environments may yield different results, hence the development and beta phase. We use IPS4 exclusively - including Pages and Commerce - to power this very community, so it quite obviously works and well. Again, we can't account for every issue and every sequence of events, so the beta phase is important. If a report is closed as can not reproduce, you may always reply with new information that helps identify the issue. 

I'm sorry there's still frustrating issues - we're working through them as quickly as possible. As always, we appreciate you helping us help you.

We anticipate Release Candidate 1 on Feb 10.

My god this is GREAT news! And this version will be supported if I understand it correctly?

A lot has been fixed, specifically in commerce, since beta 6. It's critical to report any bugs right away. Unlike the other apps, Commerce is a bit more challenging as it doesn't get the usage that other apps do, so bug reports are slower and thus, fixes. 

As for WAMP - a few devs develop solely on WAMP, so it's obviously tested. :) Different uses, different environments may yield different results, hence the development and beta phase. We use IPS4 exclusively - including Pages and Commerce - to power this very community, so it quite obviously works and well. Again, we can't account for every issue and every sequence of events, so the beta phase is important. If a report is closed as can not reproduce, you may always reply with new information that helps identify the issue. 

I'm sorry there's still frustrating issues - we're working through them as quickly as possible. As always, we appreciate you helping us help you.

For us that will only be running the forum, in my opinion, the software is ready enough to go live with. I cannot find any bugs that are go live critical for me at least. I will go live when a supported version is released! THANK YOU for all your hard work!

I develop on two different WAMP installations - if I encounter bugs clicking around and doing obvious things, I fix them. :) Otherwise we rely on bug reports from those who are (voluntarily) testing our software to point out what we have missed.  When you spend hours fixing bugs, it's hard to just click around and hope you happen to stumble across something.

Archived