Pages. Default Articles Layout. Still planning to have one for IPS 4?

estan

Hey IPS guys,

In previous versions of IPB we had default Articles layout/template that was different compared to the ones of other Pages databases. I found it very useful.

Do you guys still intend to have such a default articles layout/template for IPS 4. I asked a similar question in the previous beta version forum (the url that is not accessible any more) and I remember that there was even a screenshot posted with the intended default articles layout/template for IPS 4. Did you change your mind?

Let me know and keep up the good work!

Hey IPS guys,

In previous versions of IPB we had default Articles layout/template that was different compared to the ones of other Pages databases. I found it very useful.

Do you guys still intend to have such a default articles layout/template for IPS 4.

​Yes, that’s a database setting. 

Bildschirmfoto_2015-02-04_um_06.41.37.th

What are you trying to do with a system like that? I can see if Pages would do it.

Collaboration-wise, not much. I need a way to present content with text, pictures, and an occasional table. Being able to organize the content in categories and sub-categories is a must. I don't know if you meant this question directed to me, but I gathered you did. I'll be installing the BETA version this week and see if I can find Pages and check their functionality out.

Thanks!

Some default news site type templates would be handy to work with and customise. The 1x2x2 news post template within the 3.x version of ip.content was great help to start off.

​Actually it’s even more easy to start off in 4.0. Just make sure you have the page builder option enabled for your page. Then you can just drag and drop the article section and all the blocks (or “widgets”) however you like it using the 4 default slots (top/middle/bottom/sidebar). 

I used to code all my page templates in 3.4 but in 4.0 I am using the simple WYSIWYG page builder exclusively for all pages.

pagebuilder.thumb.jpg.527dd5b796ddbd8cb2

If you use the built in pages database for article creation, you can allow comments / ratings on them. If you just use the wysiwyg editor, you cannot allow members to comment on what you enter.

​Must be a misconfiguration or bug on your site. I use comments/reviews/ratings for my 4.0 databases and they are all embedded into the pages with the page builder. 

The page builder is just a way to arrange your content, it shouldn’t affect functionality. 

Sorry for butting in here, but I'm using the beta 7 (not 7a) and I want to look at pages. Is "Pages" something I need to install on its own? I don't see it by default - would someone guide me to its download or how I turn it on if it's an existing feature of IPS 4?

Thanks!

Do you own IP.Content? If you own IP.Content, then it will be available to you as part of the Beta downgrade from the client area. If you do not own IP.Content, then you will not be able to test it I'm afraid.

​Thanks, I wasn't aware of that part. I'll check the cost out. From what I've seen here on the official site, it meets my requirements (and beats adding MediaWiki). Thanks again!

​Actually it’s even more easy to start off in 4.0. Just make sure you have the page builder option enabled for your page. Then you can just drag and drop the article section and all the blocks (or “widgets”) however you like it using the 4 default slots (top/middle/bottom/sidebar). 

I used to code all my page templates in 3.4 but in 4.0 I am using the simple WYSIWYG page builder exclusively for all pages.

pagebuilder.thumb.jpg.527dd5b796ddbd8cb2

​That is all fine and dandy but I have my site set out a lot differently than yours and rely on the article database and templates quite heavily.

​That is all fine and dandy but I have my site set out a lot differently than yours and rely on the article database and templates quite heavily.

​And what it you are arguing for with this statement?

You were asking for different default layouts (as in 3.4) earlier. Those are not really necessary anymore, because you can define the layout very freely and choose between article views and record list views. That’s what I wanted to say and show.

If those options are not enough for your site, you can just use the template editor and do whatever you want in there, just as in 3.4.

I am not arguing about anything m8, I am simply stating that my site is based upon the article system as it is and uses the 1x2x2 template, in order to replicate that at the moment I would have to custom build it from scratch.

Archived