Pages: Promote to Article

Adriano Faria

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Still missing one settting: keep the post author as the article submitter.

I'll do it.

I know we are asking a lot here, lol, but could that also be an option? Maybe in a popup when you click the promote button, instead of a global ACP setting, so we can choose on per article basis.

36 minutes ago, -FP said:

I know we are asking a lot here, lol, but could that also be an option? Maybe in a popup when you click the promote button, instead of a global ACP setting, so we can choose on per article basis.

No. There's no place where I can do that. It has to be an admin option.

It probably there's a way, but I'll release it as it is now. I'll come back again after a few days to review it.

• 2 months later...

So what the hell? This feature isn't in IP 4.1? :mad: It's one of the main reasons I got IPB is so I could use this feature and since it was in IP 3.4 I assumed it would be in the newer one as well. Why would they not include such a key feature in the new update for Pages?? No offense to Adriano, I'm glad he made a plug-in but I don't want to rely on 3rd party plug-ins for something that was part of the core Pages package.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this hoping it gets IPS attention. I'm using Adriano's plug-in and am so thankful he made it but I would like the full featured one present in IPB 3.4 back in IPS! That feature would be vital to increasing community participation and I can't fathom why it wasn't brought over. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on this @Matt?

@Adriano Faria made a plugin that makes kinda exactly what we are requesting here, it's just missing the option to choose the author of the article, an option to make it the same author as the one in the topic/post being promoted.

So maybe you could give him a hand on that... if I recall correctly, he asked for help to solve an issue regarding that quite a few times.

• 5 months later...

Listen up, IPS... 

If you people are going to strip out critical features from your software that your customers have come to rely on and still expect said customers to continue to support your products in the future, you need a swift reality check: you are in for a surprise. 

I am appalled that this has not been included in v4. Utterly appalled. Shame on you. 

• Management
On 6/3/2016 at 3:51 PM, FZ said:

Listen up, IPS... 

If you people are going to strip out critical features from your software that your customers have come to rely on and still expect said customers to continue to support your products in the future, you need a swift reality check: you are in for a surprise. 

I am appalled that this has not been included in v4. Utterly appalled. Shame on you. 

I do apologize. We try to prioritize requests based on demand and this frankly doesn't come up terribly often. That said, we incorporated a different method of tracking requests and feedback several months ago and this had fallen through the cracks. It was since added to the tracker and it's something I'll follow up on next week. 

Thanks for your patience and I'm sorry for your frustration.

• Management
3 hours ago, FZ said:

So as a thank you for my criticism I get placed on moderation queue. What kind of a company are you guys running here? 

You need to calm yourself, my friend. You posted a topic in pre-sales. The entire forum is moderated there. You posted this post and it posted instantly. There are no restrictions on your account... take a deep breath. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just searched the "Promote to Article" link and couldn't find it... I was really confused, switched back to the default IPS-theme until I stumbled upon this thread (which is half a year old) - so this long existing function is not available anymore? sucks big time :(

3 hours ago, ThomasS said:

I just searched the "Promote to Article" link and couldn't find it... I was really confused, switched back to the default IPS-theme until I stumbled upon this thread (which is half a year old) - so this long existing function is not available anymore? sucks big time :(

Ask @Adriano F for his plugin.  

15 hours ago, Joel R said:

Ask @Adriano F for his plugin.  

thanks for the hint, I think it's going the wrong direction that way...

Existing features are getting kicked out of the suite and costly 3rd-party plugins are taking over the functionality.

I don't like that - Why?
It makes the software more expensive (especially for a small site like I'm running one) and with 3rd-party addons there is always the shadow of dropping support/not supporting future versions/keeping you from upgrading because it has bugs with newer versions of the suite... doesn't always have to be like that, but that's my experience

so thanks for providing this plugin, would really like to see it for free - I hope this elimination of features/functionality is a rare exception

There are some great new features in 4.x but I had much more control and understanding of how things worked in 3.4. I don't ever want to be relying on (or paying for) 3rd party plugins to replace functionality that I had in previous versions. That's just wrong. 

I posted somewhere else that it is possible to convert a post into an article by copying the content of the post, adding it as a new article (make sure you use forum for comments and assign authorship to the OP) and then merging the original post on your forums with the new post added by the articles system to keep the comments sync'd between the post and the article. It's a pain in the rump to do this but at least it's free.

On 5. 6. 2016 at 7:41 AM, Lindy said:

I do apologize. We try to prioritize requests based on demand and this frankly doesn't come up terribly often. That said, we incorporated a different method of tracking requests and feedback several months ago and this had fallen through the cracks. It was since added to the tracker and it's something I'll follow up on next week. 

Thanks for your patience and I'm sorry for your frustration.

Any follow up regarding this feature coming back?

It took me a while but I finally figured out @Lindy's cunning plan! ?

Keep it to yourself... Each time those twisted, evil geniuses IPS remove a useful feature from IPS, a mod likely gets created in Marketplace, generating additional profits for IPS and financially supporting Lindy's plan for eventual world domination! 

image.jpeg

I like it! :p

• Management

Ha! I wish that were the case. IPS makes nothing from the marketplace. Our "cut" barely (and sometimes doesn't) cover expenses. The marketplace exists for clients and developers. IPB3 was top-heavy. Some people enjoyed that, but from a development and expansion standpoint, we maxed the IPB3 platform out. What we've done and have planned for IPS4 would be impossible with IPB3. Everything that gets added to IPS4 needs to be carefully evaluated because while some are thinking about things they had 5yrs ago, we're thinking what we need to add 5 months from now to remain competitive and keep the product fresh. So, we are pushing more of the nichey things (things the masses aren't asking for (and by masses, I don't mean the vocal minority on these forums)) to the marketplace. 

As for this specific request - it is coming, I've ensured it's on the roadmap and there are Pages changes underway.

• 1 month later...
On 5 June 2016 at 3:41 PM, Lindy said:

On 26 June 2016 at 3:30 PM, Lindy said:

As for this specific request - it is coming, I've ensured it's on the roadmap and there are Pages changes underway.

So here's a bit of use for us...

We have a reviews system built in Pages now and moving the reviews from our Forum in to the Pages database we built.  Right now this involves...

1) Copy/Paste the initial post and enter it as a new Database Record.
2) Search forums_posts SQL table with topic ID, use the time/date stamp and update record.
3) Open cms_database_comments SQL and add the relevant comments from forums_posts so that way the comments come across from the form to the new Pages Database Record.
4) Once complete delete the original forum discussion.

In this case what would be useful is....
Promote Thread to Database Record, and have it bring the forum posts along as comments.

Just some feedback on some hurdles we're hitting with IPS4, and wanting to utilise Pages more and more.

Archived