Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0

Woodsman

Upgrade from IP. 3.4.x to IPS4.0

So you think you are ready to take the plunge and try a test install / upgrade from your current IP Board to the current IPS4.0 beta and later to the final release. Well we will see.

{Comment} The following steps are with the assumption you have already created a test install of your current board and made all the preparations leaving your current live board intact.

Step One.

1st, Download and run Get Ready For IPS 4.0 1.0.3 to test your current install to see if it is in fact ready. you can get your copy here. http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7046-get-ready-for-ips-40/

OK! all is green and good to go then skip the next step and continue on.

But you are showing errors that need to be fixed. OK it's not the end of the world so there is no need to find a cliff or skyscraper to jump from.  Download and run  IPS UTF8 Database Converter 1.1.13 you can get it here. http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/6823-ips-utf8-database-converter/

Run the converter and let it do its thing, it will take a while. When this is finished re run Get Ready For IPS 4.0 1.0.3 to make sure all previous errors are fixed. If so we can go forward if not now you can find that cliff or skyscraper. NO Just Kidding!!! But you may want contact support with any errors.

Step Two.

1st, Make a backup of your  Database call it whatever you like as long as you know where to go if the need comes up.

2nd, Here is a trick I use on my local due to a few corrupt downloads caused in file transfer that failed causing me to start a test installs from scratch.

1, create a 347 folder in your root directory and move all your files into it. Another backup you say? yep! To go along with the above database backup should something go south  on you.

2, Providing you have IP.Downloads copy these files back to your Forum Root Directory.

Copy the following folders, downloads, public, screenshots and uploads along with your conf_global.php file.

Otherwise only public, uploads and conf­_ global.php will due.

3, Copy all the files from the IPS4.0 zip file you downloaded from your clients center to your new made ready test install directory. From your browser go to your test install site http://example.com/admin/upgrade/ and begin the upgrade process.......... Go to Site!

You forgot to mention -

When you make a backup of your database and a backup of your site, you need to update the upload directory and upload URL in your database backup to point to the correct locations on the new backup installation, otherwise when you upgrade the software will be trying to write to the configured uploads path/URL which won't be valid.

You forgot to mention -

When you make a backup of your database and a backup of your site, you need to update the upload directory and upload URL in your database backup to point to the correct locations on the new backup installation, otherwise when you upgrade the software will be trying to write to the configured uploads path/URL which won't be valid.

​This is where this comment was made.

{Comment} The following steps are with the assumption you have already created a test install of your current board and made all the preparations leaving your current live board intact.

But as for those without a clue I should rewrite this adding in the database information as you said.

By this we mean the preparation needed during and after you create a test site....

ie:

conf_global.php settings.

$INFO['sql_database'] = 'original';

to

$INFO['sql_database'] = 'new_db_name';

and

$INFO['board_url'] = 'http://example.com/forum';

to

$INFO['board_url'] = 'http://example.com/test-forum';

Also in the ACP System Settings, make all pertinent changes to General Configuration, IP.Blg Settings and IP.Gallery if you have them.

Next do the Look & Feel - Disable or remove all 3rd party skins then - Template Tools Rebuild Master Skin Data then Recache Skin Sets after.

Next back uder System - Manage Applications & Modules - Disable all 3rd party Apps then click Recache Apps & Modules.

Next and last here... Manage Hooks - Disable all 3rd party hooks then click Reimport Application Hooks...

Now lastly before doing the actual upgrade go back to your testboard front end and test to see if all is working correctly.

As you make these changes in the ACP and save each they are also saved in the new Database

1, create a 347 folder in your root directory and move all your files into it. Another backup you say? yep! To go along with the above database backup should something go south  on you.

​I made it this far. Is there any guide for idiots who don't understand a word of these 3 last steps?

​I made it this far. Is there any guide for idiots who don't understand a word of these 3 last steps?

(After creating a 3.4.7 test install and all is working....)

​Create a 347 backup folder move all the existing files into it. Thus creating a complete backup of the board you are working with. Do the same with your database by backing it up to another name like "new347-backup". You can do this in PhpMyAdmin.

If you have IP.Downloads, you will want to copy (duplicate) the following folders from your 347 backup directory you just made back to your forum root. downloads, public, screenshots, uploads and conf_global.php.

If you do not have IP.Downloads than all you need to copy back to the root is your public, uploads and conf_global.php.

So if your new forum root directory for the test upgrade is named "my-testboard" or "my-testboard.com" the above files need to be copied there.

After this has been completed copy your latest IPS4 beta files you downloaded from the client center to the forum root "my-testboard" or "my-testboard.com" with the other files you just put  there. Start the upgrade if it asks for your license key, add it but remember to use -TESTINSTALL immediately after the license key.

• 1 year later...

I have a test site up and running 4.x all 3rd party items were removed and then the data base converted and it is running fine. Is there a way I can just convert my present 3.4.x database and then I could import it to the test site and have a current site ready to copy to my live site directory? and change the global.php and re-point the directories etc. and other things that have to be done after a copy from a live to a test. 

I also will have a copy of my forum and database in another directory just in case.

Or would it be better to just try to convert the live site (while off line of course).

1 hour ago, Windwalker222 said:

I have a test site up and running 4.x all 3rd party items were removed and then the data base converted and it is running fine. Is there a way I can just convert my present 3.4.x database and then I could import it to the test site and have a current site ready to copy to my live site directory? and change the global.php and re-point the directories etc. and other things that have to be done after a copy from a live to a test. 

I also will have a copy of my forum and database in another directory just in case.

Or would it be better to just try to convert the live site (while off line of course).

once your testing is done to your liking, you could just upgrade your live site (offline). since the environment should be roughly the same. 

• 3 years later...

Archived