Kinda questionable IPB

DesignzShop

Gotta say here imo this is kinda questionable IPB. Keep in mind also no one is excited here, just a mention :)
http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/no-ability-to-disable-your-license-has-expired-notice-at-front-end-r1153/
Personally, I don't think anyone should know other than the owner of the software if the software renewals have been paid. My financial business is my own and I kinda feel this invades into that personal area if someone I make as a admin can see if my license is expired or not. Not to mention this could upset some people (admins in this case)

I also kinda feel like I pay a lot for this software more so than most considering renewals and multiple licenses and I kinda feel like the notices in the admin area and the removal of services is enough reminder to renew. Adding this to the front would ruin my personal user experience if I had a expired license and I wonder why I would want to buy additional licenses knowing I either renew or have a big obtrusive reminder that basically renders the software not useless but annoying enough to possibly not use.

All in all the licenses I do have are up to date, but there are times over the years maybe one hasn't been because I haven't had a use for it. But if I did... well... I wouldn't want that. Just me. 

Can some tell me if this feature will also be enabled in 3.4

Regards

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good marketing if you ask me. I don't have a problem with it and if you read the bug report you linked to, only admins can see it.

Re doing it for 3.4. Won't happen since develepoment of the 3.4 series has stopped except for critical security updates.

Good marketing if you ask me. I don't have a problem with it and if you read the bug report you linked to, only admins can see it.

Re doing it for 3.4. Won't happen since develepoment of the 3.4 series has stopped except for critical security updates.

​I did read the bug report. Let's try again, maybe you'll catch the meaning of the phrase below kiwi 

I don't think anyone should know other than the owner of the software

Whether or not I payed for my renewal is my business and no one else's and no one should have the right to share that with anyone either which in reality could also happen. A host of things could also be done with said information like, this admin isn't paying his bills, sites in trouble blah blah blah...  :)

Not trying to be hard here, just not very comfortable with others knowing certain things. Any of my financial conditions or transactions are one of these "certain things"

Well if you don't trust your other admins then they shouldn't be admins.

As I I've said a number of times over the years I think any decent forum is being irresponsible by not having an active service contract. You've then got peace of mind that IPS will fix your forums if something goes wrong.

Yes I would agree with you if it was publicly visible to anyone but it's not.

Completely OTT, whether I want to renew subscriptions or not IPS has no right to put an intrusive message on the front end of my website when using the software purchased from IPS.

Admin areas yes, but they main site (even though only visible to admins) is wrong. Here's the question, if it's as intended, what pages does this show on, is it suite wide or specific to a certain product (i.e. forums).

I don't always renew the suite licence, based on severeal different factors but it's by choice. I know the licence has not been renewed and it was a conscious choice. Choice being the operative word here, it was a choice not to renew it.

We have no legal requirement to renew the licence, IPS has no legal right to force this message upon it's users (front end) that choose not to renew - I urge IPS to check upon the legalities of that.

Archived