Time used on upgrading

TSP

Eventually I decided to do a test upgrade on the smallest board I'll need to upgrade, with 170 000 members and 3 500 000 posts. 

I'm not sure if it's just that my localhost environment isn't providing enough "computer power" to the upgrade, compared to a real life server enviroment. So far I'm at least seeing quite slow progress. 

I'm currently on the part where the upgrader upgrades members: «Upgrading members (Upgraded so far: 21000 out of 170705)»

It takes approximately 22 seconds for each 350 members, which means that this part will take 3 hours in itself. 

Is this the normal speed for this part or should I expect faster speed on a live server environment? I guess it's not an easy question to answer, but I would like some input. This worries me, especially since it's not done in a CLI-interface. (Which also contributes to this taking longer time)

You're right it's quite difficult to answer questions like this as it is very much dependent on the hardware used as well as how it is set up. An optimised web server will of course be faster than a development setup and 3 hours for the members step wouldn't be completely surprising on this type of environment but it does seem a little on the slow side. It took us around 2-3 hours to upgrade the 400k members here to give you some sort of comparison.

We've made some further tweaks to this step for beta4 so you should see some improvement but it's also worth noting that the members step is by far the most intensive and the posts aren't even touched during the upgrader. Post rebuilding is run as a background task after the upgrade is complete so you can get the site back online as soon as possible.

Archived