New lang strings request

Ankarius

It works in english due to using gerund, but it's impossible a good translation in spanish that works in both positions...

​Present participle rather than gerund, but they look identical so it's an easy (and common) mistake to make :)

You're quite correct that you need to be able to differentiate between the two lines. The English is easy because, for example, going at the top is understood to be "I am going", whereas at the bottom we understand "people who are going". You don't have that option, of course, and neither do the people from the other languages with which I'm familiar.

I've just looked to see how I handle it in my language. I'm fortunate in that the verbs conjugate the same for all people, so I can find a workaround (albeit one that doesn't sound too natural). So I second your request; the language strings at the top corresponding to the options that an individual user can choose need to be separate from those at the bottom, which present lists. I'll file a bug report in a minute.

​Present participle rather than gerund, but they look identical so it's an easy (and common) mistake to make :)

You're quite correct that you need to be able to differentiate between the two lines. The English is easy because, for example, going at the top is understood to be "I am going", whereas at the bottom we understand "people who are going". You don't have that option, of course, and neither do the people from the other languages with which I'm familiar.

I've just looked to see how I handle it in my language. I'm fortunate in that the verbs conjugate the same for all people, so I can find a workaround (albeit one that doesn't sound too natural). So I second your request; the language strings at the top corresponding to the options that an individual user can choose need to be separate from those at the bottom, which present lists. I'll file a bug report in a minute.

​You are right, it is present participle in english. I agree with all your explanation.

Try the following

Going: Asistiré

Maybe: Quizás

Not Going: No asistiré

They can work in the buttons where a individual user is making a choise, but not in the tab titles where member lists are shown. You are a spanish native speaker and you know it doesn't sound good in spanish.

Languages isn't a matter that worry in IPS...

​You're doing IPS a great dis-service. They've gone out of their way to introduce things that cater for features in other languages that have no equivalent in English, such as the curious counting system in Slavic languages, which if it existed in English would mean we count "1 child/car/man, 2-3-4 child's/car's/man's, 5-6-7-8-9-10 children's/cars'/men's'". I've made several requests to them to change things so that they work in my language, and they've always been polite, helpful and willing to accommodate, even though the change might be tricky to do and I'm possibly the only user of their services who would require it.

It's simply not the case that IPS has no interest in other people's languages. They've even thought to capture things like forcing a capital letter on month names if used in titles, even though this is unnecessary in English because our month names are capitalised anyway. That's there purely so that those languages which don't automatically capitalise month names display correctly in titles.

I'm perfectly happy with their approach to linguistic diversity and willingness to accommodate changes. They might not get everything right for all languages (the example in the first post) but they're not linguists whom we should expect to be able to break down a construction and think "hmm, that does work in English but might not in X and Y". I think they're doing a great job, and that's why I'm happy to use 4.0 even though I'm personally having a nightmare because my host can't make keep my (very rare) locale on their system.

It's nice that IPS seems to change... but after the beta process hasn't finished I'll not be sure...

I lived the v3 beta in the past and there were declared problems with translations that caused important problems to international sites and we had to wait several time until fixed...

They have made a good job at the beginning of IPS4 with languages and they have corrected some suggestions done, one which was very important was the ACP in English instead you translate everything... but I hope there aren't any hard problem with languages... because I don't know what will happen...

Their primary deisres are help english spoken customers as they are their big size of customers, and IPS is a bussiness... and I wish there aren't any problem as there was in the past to avoid having big problems with language...

I've been an IPS customer for more than 10 years and I know what I am speaking...   :huggles:

But they are improving their international languages in IPBoard.   :thumbsup:

Archived