Bring Back "Best Answer" Button

Sinistra

I know this is more a "Forum" option that can be set by the admin. but what if we don't have the need for a Q & A section on our community but we still want to have the "Best Answer" ability? are we supose to base "best Answer" off likes or could we get the "Best Answer" button back with the top answer put at the top of the topic.

There were already long discussions about this on the test site. But in short: Yes, it was a rather new function which was heavily used and it should remain the way it was. The same is true for the Media Tag manager. 

The Q&A forum system is no replacement for the best answer feature, which can be used in any regular forum. 

IPS has meant it as replacement, but it just doesn’t work*. Q&A forums are a unique forum view – where posts are (by default) ordered by their ranking. I cannot and will not apply that view to all my forums where I have Best Answer enabled now, because all those threads are purely linear chronological discussions. It would ruin hundreds of existing threads and also completely change the way these forum work from now on. I do want to give the topic starter the chance to mark the best reply and let others see the best reply easily, but I don’t need any post ranking and post ranking order whatsoever in many of my forums.  

*I wish I could just like to the old threads on the test server. Do we really have to repeat all the discussions from there again? >_<

It's not like I have a problem with the new Q & A idea but for me when running an anime graphics community I still want to be able to use best answers for some of my content. Yes later on I might implement the new Q & A section but right now it doesn't have a place on my community. 

What if Questions was like a poll in the editor tabs at the top of a new post. Could keep the Questions design aspect But still work in a regular forum. 

Archived