When can we expect the next IPS4 release?

Stritix

It's kinda annoying how everyone keeps saying "When it's ready!!!" as if asking for a time frame is something extraordinary when IPS team themselves had no problem saying Q2 months ago which is pretty definite.

​It's Q4. This is why we say 'When it is ready'; no estimate given can be accurate, as software development is not a linear process. That was a first for them to give an estimate, and as it was taken as a definite, it would not surprise me if it was the last.

​I am aware, thanks.

​I hate to be a dick but that's kind of why people are saying "when it's ready" because they gave a pretty definite answer and we're way past it.

I understand both sides, IPS and the customers so I really don't mind it taking this long as long as it is a polished product at the end.

​I hate to be a dick but that's kind of why people are saying "when it's ready" because they gave a pretty definite answer and we're way past it.

I understand both sides, IPS and the customers so I really don't mind it taking this long as long as it is a polished product at the end.

​My point is: when you cancel a release date time frame, it is expected that you give a new one. I mean, can you imagine a film studio cancelling a release of an anticipated movie and saying "We'll release it when it's ready" and leaving people not knowing what week/month/year they'll see it? :lol:

I don't mean to be rude either, I'm just saying.

​My point is: when you cancel a release date time frame, it is expected that you give a new one. I mean, can you imagine a film studio cancelling a release of an anticipated movie and saying "We'll release it when it's ready" and leaving people not knowing what week/month/year they'll see it? :lol:

I don't mean to be rude either, I'm just saying.

First time frame was around December 2013 (let me know if I am wrong on this). Then they said Q2. Then simply 2014. They moved it three times, making those time frames pointless. So "When it's ready" is nothing extraordinary. It is fact. 

It's kinda annoying how everyone keeps saying "When it's ready!!!" as if asking for a time frame is something extraordinary when IPS team themselves had no problem saying Q2 months ago which is pretty definite.

​I understand your frustration.  I am also anxious for details to emerge. Being a developer myself, I get asked by my leadership team all the time "when will this be finished?"

I can tell you that every answer I give them is almost always a wild guess to appease them. You see software development by nature contains an intrinsic element of agile programming. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

Unlike when building a house where you know exactly what supplies you will need and how long each part takes to construct, software development is always loaded with unknowns. As things come together, new ways of doing things emerge, new issues emerge and things that couldn't have possibly been conceived emerge. Most of the time software is developed with a general sense of what needs to be done but no idea of how to really do it. Programmers are basically brave, confident souls who are willing to jump into something with merely an assumption that they will get it done whatever it takes.

Basically what I am saying is that it's likely that even the most senior developers truly have no idea when this will be ready which is why you are getting ambiguous answers. I am sure there are date goals but I am glad that quality is more important than deadlines to the IPB team.

I hope this helps.

​However it isn't very helpful either. ;) Imho a very overused phrase on the internet, as well as "Soon(tm)"...

​And the other three timeframes were 'helpful'? If they say Q1 of 2015 and don't reach it either, that would be more helpful than 'When it's ready'? In what way? It is not overused either... it makes perfect sense in web development. There is no point in rushing and running for a 'timeframe'. Unless I am missing something.

I've lost hope thinking about when 4.0 finished will be released. I'm more excited about Beta 3/4/5/6/7/8... KEEP EM COMING :tongue:

​Betas ensure a solid product and IP team is doing a great job of pushing them out, but betas cannot be used in production environments so I really hope we see the stable release soon because many of us really do need it for our upcoming communities.

Plus, some people may get impatient if this thing goes on until summer 2015 and decide to jump to competitor software.

I think that IP staff is trying their best to get it out as a stable release ASAP since they have upgraded the official Invision Power forums to IP 4.0.  When I saw this happen, I began to get excited!  So, it is truly being tested in a larger environment right now which is great news.

I guess we're all so impatient, so no matter what we're going to keep asking, "When?" and you really can't blame anyone for asking that question, especially since we're all paying customers and being teased with the new 4.0.  I just hope we see stable release in next 2-3 months because, again, if this thing stretches to mid 2015 I will have to start looking at other options because my community has to be released on time and I am really depending on IP 4 platform to run my community. 

​it makes perfect sense in web development. There is no point in rushing and running for a 'timeframe'. Unless I am missing something.

​That is arguable. I don't see any exclusivity for web development compared to any other job. But that is a different topic...

Since any posts that gave a time-frame stated "by the end of the year" or something similar, I would say by the end of December.  However, when its ready! ;)   

I personally wish it was out today and all, but I am glad we are clients of a company that prides itself on ensuring the software is functional and as bug-free as possible before they call it stable and release it for production sites.  

Anyway you look at it, it is coming soon.  IPS has update their site, which, historically is roughly the halfway point of BETA, which means we should have roughly 2-4 weeks left of BETA, but again this is an estimate as it could take more or less time to ensure the software is stable.

.....*Goes off to try to find out how to display images for CPF's since there are no more keys"

​That is arguable. I don't see any exclusivity for web development compared to any other job. But that is a different topic...

​I personally admire a company that is willing to put off profits to make sure that their software works to what they are satisfied with and what their customers expect out of it. I have seen far too often the approach of "we must get it done yesterday" and that just turns over crap. I'm in no rush to upgrade my forum but I do understand the plight of those who want to and those who want to start a new website with this software.

Thanks for the responses everyone. 

Anyway you look at it, it is coming soon. IPS has update their site, which, historically is roughly the halfway point of BETA, which means we should have roughly 2-4 weeks left of BETA, but again this is an estimate as it could take more or less time to ensure the software is stable.

​I hope you are right but on the other hand, there's still no Beta for Pages, Store and Chat.

​I personally admire a company that is willing to put off profits to make sure that their software works to what they are satisfied with and what their customers expect out of it. I have seen far too often the approach of "we must get it done yesterday" and that just turns over crap. I'm in no rush to upgrade my forum but I do understand the plight of those who want to and those who want to start a new website with this software.

​Yip, you just need to look at a few of the most recent games that have been released that are far from the finished article. Assasins Creed for example, was probably 2/3 months away from being a polished product (and it was late) - when released it was full of bugs.

Archived